My retirement here is Not what I expected

Nephi
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

Grateful, I wish you well :thumbsup: in all your wishes but will just say, That a memory, is all that any of us become in the End.

Jack :tiphat:

I think being able to visit friends and relatives in my home country would be great. Along that line of thought and in agreement with Jack Peterson; in the end we are only a memory. Just remember too, those airlines travel in both directions and can bring people here to the islands to visit us as well. With all the friends etc I have back in the States, I don't see them fighting for seats on airlines to come see me. So for me, I made the right decision in moving here. After all, retirement is for my family and I to enjoy without worrying about who else we may or may not see again.

Nephi

Edited by Nephi
  • Like 3

Nephi
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

There is a new product out which is basically a planting pot with some dry dirt and an oak tree seed.  Your next of kin just needs to have you cremated and add your ashes and some water to the pot and from the ashes a new tree will grow.  Thus you will grow a new set of nuts (acorns).  Not a bad way to end retirement.

A new set of nuts might be okay but I would want movable legs to I can kick all those dogs in the head that want to use me to mark their territory :6:

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

There is a new product out which is basically a planting pot with some dry dirt and an oak tree seed.  Your next of kin just needs to have you cremated and add your ashes and some water to the pot and from the ashes a new tree will grow.  Thus you will grow a new set of nuts (acorns).  Not a bad way to end retirement.

Each to our own of course, Just hope the next pair of nuts are better than these I have now :laugh:

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, expatuk2014 said:

like many here I am a retired pensioner on fixed income ( variation depends on the exchange rate )

my wife has her UK pension and her GSIS pension overall we are ok financially.

I married my wife in 2002 and we came to the Philippines 4 times until we retired here in 2011, life now is very different from my usual UK daily life, having to wake up mon-fri at 04.30am and leave for work at 5.30. now I wake up at around 08.30-0.900 !

And doing the shopping I have to walk fast past the beer stands !! Bottles of Gin at 65php ! beer at 25php ! etc

only thing is no southern comfort locally:angry: we are going to buy a new car later this month ( in the sisters name ! ) maybe a Toyota Wigo or a Suzuki APV

Wife wont let me buy a Mustang !!

Overall living in the Philippines is great lets face it back in the UK this week, heavy rain, gale force winds, snow etc etc

here its cold drinks and ice cream !! 

You don't know what her missing,

You forgot to add the bloody damp that's here for months

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, expatuk2014 said:

like many here I am a retired pensioner on fixed income ( variation depends on the exchange rate )

my wife has her UK pension and her GSIS pension overall we are ok financially.

I married my wife in 2002 and we came to the Philippines 4 times until we retired here in 2011, life now is very different from my usual UK daily life, having to wake up mon-fri at 04.30am and leave for work at 5.30. now I wake up at around 08.30-0.900 !

And doing the shopping I have to walk fast past the beer stands !! Bottles of Gin at 65php ! beer at 25php ! etc

only thing is no southern comfort locally:angry: we are going to buy a new car later this month ( in the sisters name ! ) maybe a Toyota Wigo or a Suzuki APV

Wife wont let me buy a Mustang !!

Overall living in the Philippines is great lets face it back in the UK this week, heavy rain, gale force winds, snow etc etc

here its cold drinks and ice cream !! 

Thanks for your comments. First of all, we are different. I am not on a fixed income. In fact, I need to go do my income taxes soon. I will stay for the Primary Election and then return here to Mindanao. 

Second, I would never buy a vehicle here. I will either ride a taxi or jeepney. The way they drive here, I would have an accident for sure, then what.

Third, My home in So California is 1 hour drive from the San Bernardino Mountains which get a lot of snow during the winter. I miss that. My home is less than an hour from the coast. I miss that too. The beaches here do not compare to them. My favorite beach here is Paradise Island which is only 10 minutes by Banka.

Fourth, I don't drink booze. I gave that up long ago and do not miss it. I can socialize without it with my friends.

Fifth, There are a lot more places to go in the states than there is here. Las Vegas, NFL games, MLB games, NBA games, all live. 

A lot better television choices. 

Last but not least. My friends and family.

I wouldn't trade any of it for a life of retirement here in the PI.

Good Luck with your retirement.

• Like 4

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Grateful, I wish you well :thumbsup: in all your wishes but will just say, That a memory, is all that any of us become in the End.

Jack :tiphat:

Jack, that goes without saying but thanks. My memory bank is full of good memories. 

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Each to our own of course, Just hope the next pair of nuts are better than these I have now :laugh:

Well the last time I saw mine Jack, they were looking a little hagged, so I am with you on this one!

• Like 1