Beet Root

RBM
Posted
Posted

Very surprised to see the above fresh at Farmers market Bacolod last week. P60 per Kilo. 

Goes well in the salad or burger.

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, RBM said:

Very surprised to see the above fresh at Farmers market Bacolod last week. P60 per Kilo. 

Goes well in the salad or burger.

that is good news, love my  beetroot, a must on an Aussie burger.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Wait a minute.... You guys put beets on a Burger? :th_thbarbaque:

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I thought Beetroot was a character in the movie Twins. 

...I have seen some odd things on burgers before - never beets. Not a Texas thing ha ha :tiphat:

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Guys, not to be the vocabulary police, might be just a yank vs. brit thing heh heh. But isn't a beet a root anyway? Or is it a different veggie than I am thinking about?

Beets on burgars?? :dreams:.

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted

The Bacolod farmer's market has beets most of the time. We like them boiled with sour cream on the side (if available) or pickled.

In Canada, we buy beets when young and fresh about 2 inches in diameter with the leaves still on. Then we buy more leaves or usually they give them free to us as most don't want them. We trim and wash the leaves then set aside to dry. Then I make bread roll/bun dough in the bread machine. Then take a pinch of dough about the size of your finger and roll in up in a leaf from the tip. Place 3 layers of these roll ups in a buttered bread pan sprinkled lightly with melted butter and salt on each layer, let rise for 30 minutes, then bake in oven at 350 F for 45 minutes covered and then 15 minutes uncovered. Turn upside down onto a plate, cool for a bit and eat with sour cream/chives on the side. Excellent. I eat a whole loaf myself.

With the left over leaves, I chop about 1 cup and add it to regular bread recipe for the bread machine. They will keep in the ref for about a week.

Mike S, I see that you like different breads so you will love these 2 recipes.

• Like 4

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

I think he means Root Beer  (big ole grin)

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

You Yanks eat beets as a vegetable.  Most of us eat beetroot as a pickle.  Try it, you may like it.

• Like 3

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Actually as a kid growing up I had them both ways but we called your beetroot pickled beets .... to be eaten as a condiment .... never tried them on a hamburger but I can see them taking the place of pickles on it .... by the way they sell beetroot (pickled beets) in a jar in SM Becolod under the Tesco brand ... :thumbsup:

:cheersty:

• Like 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Try it, you may like it.

But, but,,,but,,,I don't want to start drinking tea in the afternoon and driving on the wrong  left side of the road :hystery:.

Just teasing, my mom was from the Midwest and she would pickle beets like they did in old country. But your right mainly we eat them as a side dish. Plus boiled beet greens with vinegar (just like spinach). 

• Like 3