AntiVirus Software

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)

Good god the selection out there is unbelievable kinda like 100 flavors of vanilla .... finally gave up on my ex-current one Malware-bytes .... used it for about 8 years but now they won't give you real time protection unless you want to use their pro version and yea you gotta pay for it .... so I started looking around for another free version of virus protection .... so far since the 80's I have used MacAfee ... Avast ... AVG ... Malware-bytes ... Bitdefender ... Windows Defender ... Adware Antivirus ... Zone Alarm Antivirus ... and possibly 2-3 more that I can't think of right now ....

So what the hell you ask .... is there a problem? .... yup it seems all the current antivirus programs are going to cloud service and I ain't quite ready to trust my computer info to a cloud .... plus so many of these new program versions think we all are stupid and won't let you customize your settings .... so you can't save a false positive download as they deem it to be a virus and out it goes with the trash .... I have a free trial of Bitdefender pro 2016 right now for 30 days and it has a setting called auto-pilot and with it you can't make choices ... if you do you get the "your computer is not protected" message ....  

I uninstalled Windows Defender (or what ever it is called) as I no longer trust any updates from M$ .... and some of the others like Zone Alarm install their firewall with it and it blocks any P2P sites or SourceForge as it doesn't feel I need to be downloading anything from them .... more of Big Brothers BS I'm sure (funny how companies cow-down to BB's whims) ....

So anyway if anyone knows of a free antivirus program that is not cloud driven .... user-friendly (and by that I mean can be tweaked or settings changed) ..... doesn't leave tons of unwanted crap on your computer if you decide to uninstall it .... not based in China (found 2 of those) .... please let me know cause I'm fast running out of options .... :whistling::thumbsup:

:cheersty: 

Edited by Mike S
  • Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I gave up on free versions a couple of years ago. I use avast pro and seems fine to me. 

• Like 5

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

Check out Advanced SystemCare at http://www.iobit.com I have upgraded to the pay version but put the free one on friend's computers lately. 

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Although I am yet to move to windows 10 I see it has its own antivirus system. Perhaps you won't need one? 

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Although I am yet to move to windows 10 I see it has its own antivirus system. Perhaps you won't need one? 

I thought Windows 10 was a virus!:89: It made my computer do a lot of things it would do if it had a virus.

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Tom .... as far as I can tell or read that Windows anti-virus is close to the bottom of the list when it comes to protection .... I haven't seen a single review that had it anywhere close to the top 10 .... only in the free catigory  does it appear in the top 10 and usually 9 or 10 ....

Thanks for all your comments ... I decided to go with a program called BullGuard (hope it doesn't turn into BullCrap) anyway it isn't free but for the stripped down version (which is what I am looking for) it is $17 per year with a discount for one computer .... couple that with Malwarebytes Free and it should work pretty well .... but we shall see .... :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

How about an anti-virus against Windows 10?  Many tech articles explain how it's programmed to installed without your knowledge or approval.  Just Google Window 10 auto install

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Jake said:

How about an anti-virus against Windows 10?  Many tech articles explain how it's programmed to installed without your knowledge or approval.  Just Google Window 10 auto install

Jake, I think that is for people who mistakenly allowed it and they can postpone but not cancel the "upgrade". But I have heard that bits of W10 get installed as updates whether you want them or not if you allow your computer to update. They bury it in the security updates, or so I am told. Some people allow security updates that they are told are critical to auto install. Windows makes it a SOB to undo them also, System Restore won't do it.

I think the default setting allows the installation of windows 10.

It's like when one of the conspirators in Watergate was asked : Did anyone ever direct the coverup? He replied: No, but nobody ever said there would NOT be a coverup.

Edited by robert k
  • Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted

I quite downloading any updates from Windows security or not .... I use ALL 3rd part software and hide behind a hardware firewall also run 1 antivirus and 1 malware program .... I suppose once M$ finds out about it they will send me some nasties but as I don't download their crap it shouldn't matter ..... but I don't recommend what I do for everyone ....

• 3 months later...
i am bob
Posted
Posted

virus?  i use a macbook with avg free...  ubuntu with nothing...  never had a virus...  lol!