AntiVirus Software

allancomeau
Posted
Posted

I have been using AVAST and SpyBot (for malware) for years and very happy with both - highly effective and low overhead (don't impact performance)

• 6 months later...
Capa
Posted
Posted
On 7/17/2016 at 8:44 AM, i am bob said:

virus?  i use a macbook with avg free...  ubuntu with nothing...  never had a virus...  lol!

That is the appeal of UNIX-based operating systems. Inherently safe from any virus or even bacteria, get Linux Mint 18.3 immediately, or whatever is the newest release in the future! You won't regret it!

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Capa said:

That is the appeal of UNIX-based operating systems. Inherently safe from any virus or even bacteria, get Linux Mint 18.3 immediately, or whatever is the newest release in the future! You won't regret it!

I wouldn't say 'inherently safe' but yes lots safer.

OS X is an offshoot of BSD and there are virus in the wild for that.

(yes I know the whole BSD is not linux thing... but for the purposes of being safe from virus it is a different that makes no difference)

Capa
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

I wouldn't say 'inherently safe' but yes lots safer.

OS X is an offshoot of BSD and there are virus in the wild for that.

(yes I know the whole BSD is not linux thing... but for the purposes of being safe from virus it is a different that makes no difference)

Well I would recommend that anyone avoid all Micros#!t and Crapple products and just go with Linux, I have for more than a decade with no issues. None. I have my preference with Mint, but just a little research will show you that there are so many distributions that one is certainly tailored to your specific needs!

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Capa said:

Well I would recommend that anyone avoid all Micros#!t and Crapple products

Yes you mentioned that several times.