Looking for deep ceramic tub

tohopko
Posted
Posted

Looking for a claw foot tub or other type as long as it's deep and ceramic.  Also is there a dump near Cebu City where something like that might be found cheap.  It will be used outdoors so doesn't need to be in bathroom shape.  Also need similar toilet and two basin sink.  White is best for all. (not for human use)

robert k
Posted
Posted

Bathtubs are fairly rare in the Philippines. I Believe Dave Houndriver had one made of aluminum or stainless. I doubt they would go to the dump if someone didn't want one anymore, a sturdy large capacity container like that would be too useful. Horse trough, making beer, you name it. I think I would just try to have a tub made of concrete and tile, order one, which is going to be expensive or possibly have one made of stainless, but no clue on the cost of that. Good luck.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, robert k said:

I Believe Dave Houndriver had one made of aluminum or stainless

Dang but you have a good memory.  Yes, I still have it and drag it into the house once in a while to have a good soak in the tub.  It was made of galvanized metal and even if it sprung a leak there is always someone who would buy it for the metal content.

• Like 2

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

Sometimes you might find one in a scrap metal salvage yard. We have an old tub like that that belonged to my father-in-law back in the day. A local neighborhood salvage collector offered to buy it recently, but nobody wanted to part with it.. Salvage yards can be found in many areas around Cebu City. just look for the signs or ask around your area for locations Good Luck:)

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted

You could buy a SS water tank then cut in half to make 2 tubs. They come in various sizes.

• Like 5

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

Yes, like JP Bago said. Have someone make you one. You can have it made anywhere on your property that you want. You can have it made any size you want, any shape you want and at a price that is reasonable for you. 

Good Luck

I have an outside shower but my wife likes indoor with a dipper.

• Like 1

tohopko
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thank you very much for all the responses.  (The double sink can be Stainless steel too) I figured that finding one not being used might not happen but the salvage yard idea might be a place to start, and a large enough stainless cut in half, another option.  The reason I want those specific items is because I raise Tilapia, at least I went to college to learn how and have some experience in it.  I'm building a recycled, all-ceramic, recirculating Tilapia grow tank.  I love the idea of raising my own fish so I can trust what went in to growing them out.  I am not a fan of the typical ponds with questionable runoff and feed and recirculating systems that extensively use plastic for air and water lines.  My system would have a small fraction of 1% of what a typical plastic intensive systems have so I don't have all the out-gassing of petroleum and other chemicals going into the water my fish breathe.  All water lines will be copper. The design would only need one pump and no air stones until the fish are at least half grown, and maybe none at all.  The product will likely be organically raised after I work out the feed system I have in mind.  The ceramics or SS will be environmentally friendly to even the biggest critic of how food is grown, and the used condition and feed system will keep the costs way down.  (If only I had a US dump at my disposal)

An option, since I will eventually need a dozen or so tubs if I decide to go commercial, would be to ship them from the US to Cebu but I am a complete noob on that subject.

If I can do this cheap enough to make it attractive to me either just personally or commercially, I would explore growing other living edibles.

Thanks again.

Edited by tohopko
  • Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, tohopko said:

The reason I want those specific items is because I raise Tilapia, at least I went to college to learn how and have some experience in it.  I

I tried that.  They kept disappearing.  My best guess is that birds were getting them at night.  Good luck with them, and try to cover the pond with a net if they start to disappear.

• Like 4

mogo51
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

Sometimes you might find one in a scrap metal salvage yard. We have an old tub like that that belonged to my father-in-law back in the day. A local neighborhood salvage collector offered to buy it recently, but nobody wanted to part with it.. Salvage yards can be found in many areas around Cebu City. just look for the signs or ask around your area for locations Good Luck:)

Don't tell Dave where you live Queenie!!! haha

• Like 2

tohopko
Posted
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I tried that.  They kept disappearing.  My best guess is that birds were getting them at night.  Good luck with them, and try to cover the pond with a net if they start to disappear.

Thanks Dave, yes, predators and neighbors can be a problem.  I would only do this if and when I have a big enough space (fenced back yard, carport, porch) to do it up right.  Covering if in sunlight would be advisable anyway just to keep the algae growth at a minimum and the fish calm for optimal growth.  Did you use a contained system you bought?  Were you trying to do it just for personal use or...?

Edited by tohopko
  • Like 1