Where would you stay?

Ynot
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

So what is the actual lot size the OP bought? cos this is going to get confusing if 150 SM cost him 5 mil easy basics say that the 600 SM would be 20 Mil Now that, is just so Unrealistic.

I think he was saying his house is 150 sqm and cost him 5 million peso, it's not clear if the building cost was 5million alone or if it also included the land as well.  he does not mention how large the land was.  But it does not matter he was only giving an example and he provided another example of a closed community where the minimum size blocks are 600 sqm, so who knows how large a home must be to build there.   So lets not get nick picky about the minor stuff, the question here was where have you built?  Are you living with the locals or are you in  walled compound and why??

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Buying a house is like buying a 2nd hand car, many times you are just buying someone else's problems. We bought our lot in 2008 and did nothing but grow Fruit and veg etc until 2012, we had 4 years to study the terrain and the locals to say OK it's good, lets do it. We Built. We Used Local Labour and I mean neighbours. This meant a lot to the Locals as it meant trust in them. The one thing we did not count on and the one things that annoys us most is that Unscrupulous land owners, Have Sold odd bits of Lots that have cut many small access paths to the main Roads around here. One Bit of Roadway can not be used by Delivery Trucks to the Local Shops and Houses because of Over hanging Roofs, so now, they have to pass by our house. That's OK as it all goes quiet about Nightfall. My main concern is that it puts some pretty odd characters up and down our Road that we don't know, and Are not always from this part of the Barangay. My Dogs are keen and do know who is who and they let us know if there are strangers about. 

I am Totally convinced that our Locals are good and Honest people, We all get on Fine. It is the Opportunist types that give rise for concern to me. But you are going to get this anywhere. OH! I am sure the House is Safe and Secure but for me, only when there is someone around. 

I think that's the thing, before I buy I will spend a good amount of time checking out the location at all times of day and night, weekdays and weekends and also make sure there are no vacant lots on either side.

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Ynot said:

So lets not get nick picky about the minor stuff, the question here was where have you built?  Are you living with the locals or are you in  walled compound and why??

Ynot, with the greatest respect. I don't Consider 5 mil nicky picky at all, this is where newish members get the wrong Idea. lets get factual if we are going to talk Houses ( our biggest Cost) Mine was 5.7 Mill on 500 meters with a House size of 145 Sq mtr. Land Included in that Overall Cost.

The Land we bought for 580.000 We chose to buy  on a Barangay Road with all rights of Way. It is fairly well documented in a lot of topics that Living in a Gated Sub Division has many drawbacks. You just can't do what you think you can due to the many regulations laid down by the Committee. Rising yearly Fees  that yeald nothing in the main for the Homeowner. Security is only as good as the man on the gate and again this has been brought up before. For me, I feel far safer in the house We had Built on land we had 4 years to give credence to our thoughts and requirements In fact, The Local PNP Report that there more break ins in gated Areas than in Local areas Living among the locals has a distinct  advantage ( well to me anyway)

As I stated in an earlier post, my Concern is Opportunist bad guys not Targeting bad Guys and to me a Gated Community can and is in a lot of cases, a target area for a bad guy that wants. 

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)

Talking of Security and I believe this has a place here on this Topic I offer this piece for those that would like to read. It covers most of the  things that Could/Would/Should worry us and is a good piece.

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
Guys you know the rules about blogs. Removed link
  • Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

:89: Someone that can afford to, I Guess. :laugh:

Sorry sir, could not resist this

But then, Who in there right mind pays 5 mil peso for 150 sq mtrs of land? (or is this another Typo)

Jack.:Happy:

Morning All:morning1:

I suppose he will get to the shopping mall much quicker than others!

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Our Filipino friends built in a gated neighborhood and used the contractor who was building the cookie cutter standard houses to build theirs to their specs.  Probably not the most cost effective way, but they got exactly what they wanted and were able to see a lot of the contractor's work before they went that route.  The contractor had done other custom designs, not just the cookie cutter houses, and the quality looks quite good to me.

'Cookie Cutter'?  Please explain.

RBM
Posted
Posted

One point I would like to make regarding building or buying in an established area with locals is SMOKE.

Over the years we have rented many different places in different cities, towns. We hear much noise about dogs, kareoke, loud music, noisy motors how ever my worst and sadly most common experience is smoke. Locals seem obsessed about lighting fires, many say it's for the Mosquitos how ever it's seems more an obsession. Nothing worse than relaxing with a coffee and suddenly the room is full of smoke. Apparently most of the locals are OK with it and never seem to complain.

We almost bought a lot in a lovely well established quiet sub division, full of trees and shade. Loved it, problem was every time we visited during negotiations, maids and I guess owners were raking up leaves and burning them. Talking to some of the more affluent owners they weren't in the slightest bothered.

Eventually we bought and built in a quarter full sub division, no guards,  few trees which I hated, how ever free from my pet hate smoke.

• Like 5

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

'Cookie Cutter'?  Please explain.

That is a saying we use for something that is stamped out in a very standard manner with no changes.  In this case, a development might have 4 or 5 standard house floorplans to choose from.  If you want something different, you have to go with a custom design which will cost more.

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted
Just now, OnMyWay said:

That is a saying we use for something that is stamped out in a very standard manner with no changes.  In this case, a development might have 4 or 5 standard house floorplans to choose from.  If you want something different, you have to go with a custom design which will cost more.

Thank you, now understand, very appropriate.  I hate those 2 story anaemic looking houses. Not to mention stairs for me are out due to back issues.  Bungalows are my only option.  But these developments lack any real thought regarding house designs.  Swimming keeps me somewhat mobile, so I need a pool also. Makes it difficult.

• Like 1