Where would you stay?

Nephi
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I know of an almost identical story from a backwater, rural area.  Ex gf's uncle.  His brother buried him in a quickly scooped out shallow grave and got the heck out of there before he was next.  The argument was over politics though.

Yep, poo-poo happens and I would guess a lot in our home countries as well. But I'm a city boy from N. Hollywood CA. So for me it was really something to see cave man justice in play on that island. Like something you'd see in a 1950's sifi movie.

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, Nephi said:

Yep, poo-poo happens and I would guess a lot in our home countries as well. But I'm a city boy from N. Hollywood CA. So for me it was really something to see cave man justice in play on that island. Like something you'd see in a 1950's sifi movie.

In the late 80's N. Hollywood looked like something out of a sci-fi movie. I lived on the NH side of the Burbank line. Actually some scenes from Terminator were shot just a little ways away on Victory Blvd.

• Like 2

Nephi
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, robert k said:

In the late 80's N. Hollywood looked like something out of a sci-fi movie. I lived on the NH side of the Burbank line. Actually some scenes from Terminator were shot just a little ways away on Victory Blvd.

I enjoyed the valley until I was old enough to drive. Then all the movie studios were everywhere. Blocking streets and parking lots for movie and advert shoots. Adam 12, to Batman. Seemed like they were always in the way. My dad worked years for Technicolor in Hollywood and later at the Universal plant.

I lived on Corteen Pl in NH between Burbank Blvd and Chandler Blvd. Fun place to grow up but left for greener pastures and good trout fishing in Southern Utah.

Edited by Nephi
  • Like 3

Ynot
Posted
Posted

Now what was the post about again?  By the way I hate snakes!!

• Like 3

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

we live within the local community Opposite is a cousins home next door is another cousin even 2 doors down is another cousin !

our is in a 3 house compound behind the Family home which is now empty since the mother passed on. we have large double folding gates and a security camera that focuses on the front entrance and the road. we have often left the gate key in the lock for hours !

we also have 3 dogs that are loose to roam around the compound.

before we built our new home we lived in a small single story home and while the building work ws going on our van was parked approx a mile away at an Aunts house And I would walk to and from there day and night with no problems !

Everybody knows each other here and I feel very safe unlike a friend of ours who lived in a gated security patrolled residential site who was robbed almost every weekend inc having his motorbike stolen !!

• Like 3

strap
Posted
Posted
On 3/29/2016 at 9:14 AM, Nephi said:

I use to live on a little island (like Gilligan's Island) in Masbate Province years ago. There, living in a nipa hut without running water, electric power etc, a snake check was done 3 times per day inside each room of the house. Often times small cobras and other snakes and scorpions were found and then turned loose in the jungle outside. Living there we had no need of signs posted that would read safety first. Actually was pretty fun way to live after learning what to do.

Nephi I admire your sense of adventure but I have to say, if I had to check my bedroom three times a day for cobras...well actually I don't know what to say.:huh:

• Like 3

Nephi
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, strap said:

Nephi I admire your sense of adventure but I have to say, if I had to check my bedroom three times a day for cobras...well actually I don't know what to say.:huh:

Yea, that snake thing was a surprise to me too when I first moved there. I'm not afraid of snakes and had many for pets over the years. But poison snakes; that's something else again. Truly was an adventure though. I have never been a risk taker in life so for me is was the adventure of a lifetime.

Nephi

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 3/28/2016 at 6:03 AM, i am bob said:

i too despised the smoke until recently...   my Amazing Other has a problem around her neighborhood with king cobras...  they love to hide under the leaves until it rains (where upon they all descend towards her house) or someone decides to walk past...  not an option i want to find out about...

:whistling:

Please let me know where this area is so I do not move there.  I am terrified of snakes.

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, strap said:

I do - good bye!!!  Be on the first bus out of town.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, strap said:

if I had to check my bedroom three times a day for cobras...well actually I don't know what to say.

Having been in a similar situation, I discovered one thing that helped.  DO NOT let any rodents into the house.  Poison them, trap them, sticky paper them or whatever you have to do.  If you get one in the room then kill it and wash any possible entry point with bleach.

I found that snakes can 'smell' the trail of where a mouse has been and will follow him into your bedroom.  No mice means no snakes, or such was my experience

EDIT:  Not my snake, not my video, just an illustration of my point.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 3