The last little bit

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Yeah, we have tons of power poles in the new section of road, in the city.  They say they will move the poles and fill the holes later.  Then they will wonder why there are so many potholes....

Before they started our local road widening the barangay had nice light poles put in (we had bamboo & lights in coke bottles). Barely a month later they start the road widening ... and have to remove the light poles.  I do hope they put them back later ha ha

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, expatuk2014 said:

lots of road widening scheme

Oh yeah.  There are some back streets here that have a widened bit and then a 'not widened' bit so if you are driving your motorcycle on the edge of the road on the widened bit, you run out of road. :9436:

• Like 1

Nephi
Posted
Posted

In "local" logic there really has to be a reason for this - especially if it is happening all over the country. Mind you I said local logic so even with an explanation from a local mayor or builder it probably would still make little or no sense. What really frosts me is that here, to do about 10km of roadway rebuilding it takes 6, 8, and in many cases 10 months or longer doing all this stuff by hand. If these places owned or could even just rent one concrete highway machine, that 10km rebuild would be done in as little as 10 hours and the road open just hours after that! Guess the local or even federal politicians never think that if a road got finishes that quickly they would almost certainly get elected or reelected. It's just senseless to take so ungodly long to do such a simple thing. Worse yet is that the locals continue to accept and allow such inconveniences and delays.

Nephi

• Like 2

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Nephi said:

Worse yet is that the locals continue to accept and allow such inconveniences and delays.

Easy. Local logic says the longer it takes, the longer we have work.

• Like 4

Nephi
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Steve & Myrlita said:

Easy. Local logic says the longer it takes, the longer we have work.

Sure, that would be the thoughts of the workers or companies that are hired. But the agencies that hire these people and the millions of drivers inconvenienced by that practice should be forcing change. Yet, nothing happens or ever changes. A lose lose situation.

• 2 months later...
JJReyes
Posted
Posted

I encountered a similar phenomena while visiting Montego Bay, Jamaica. A beautiful concrete road would sudden revert to gravel and stones for 10 meters. Asking the tour guide for an explanation, she gave me the best possible answer. "Politicians want to remind the public what it was like before.  If everything was concrete, the public would soon forget." 

Possibly it's the same in the Philippines where the politicians are smarter than you think.

• Like 4

robert k
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, JJReyes said:

I encountered a similar phenomena while visiting Montego Bay, Jamaica. A beautiful concrete road would sudden revert to gravel and stones for 10 meters. Asking the tour guide for an explanation, she gave me the best possible answer. "Politicians want to remind the public what it was like before.  If everything was concrete, the public would soon forget." 

Possibly it's the same in the Philippines where the politicians are smarter than you think.

I agree. Sometimes it may not look like it makes sense but if you can get past what you personally think would be the best thing to do and realize that the majority's purposes are not the politician's purposes, you can usually find method to what they do. They do have to justify the "campaign contributions" and bring pet projects / handouts to their district if they want to get re-elected and receive more contributions. Not just the Philippines, this is many places.

One of the things that stuns me is people send their representative to pick other people's pocket and don't realize that everyone else is sending their representative to pick yours. It's a game you can only end up losing in the end. Only your politician wins. You have to hope that yours is a better pickpocket than everyone else's or you are going to lose. I had occasion to look up a lot of court cases one time and in over 90% of the cases there was a clear winner...the lawyers. I think the percentage of winners is even higher among politicians. Is it any wonder so many lawyers go into politics?

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Maybe the trees were left to improve driver emergency response skills.