BBQ Smoker wanted

robert k
Posted
Posted

On the bright side, I have eaten food that was smoked over local fruit wood fires and it was delicious. I had thought about making something like in the picture as it is not terribly difficult, except for scrounging large short sections of pipe and some flat steel to weld on the ends. The ultimate would be if you could double jacket it with water so it would maintain heat untended for a long time. I used to smoke 10 kilo beef briskets for a few hours @180 F and then wrap them in heavy foil and put them back in for another 16 hours @200 F and it would be tender! I preferred a mixture of mesquite and green pecan wood.

• Like 4

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
48 minutes ago, robert k said:

On the bright side, I have eaten food that was smoked over local fruit wood fires and it was delicious. I had thought about making something like in the picture as it is not terribly difficult, except for scrounging large short sections of pipe and some flat steel to weld on the ends. The ultimate would be if you could double jacket it with water so it would maintain heat untended for a long time. I used to smoke 10 kilo beef briskets for a few hours @180 F and then wrap them in heavy foil and put them back in for another 16 hours @200 F and it would be tender! I preferred a mixture of mesquite and green pecan wood.

Both mesquite and pecan wood are plentiful in south Texas but doubt you will find any here. I love Texas BBQ. 

• Love it 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

First go to the forum search function. I know this question was covered in depth not too long ago.

Ace Ayala Cebu City has some actual smokers our family owns one. Papa uses local coconut husk charcoal and wood chips from Ace.

In your case I would think you could have one fabricated locally if you provided plans. Kingferd (spelling?) charcoal is also found at Ace but the local charcoal is great stuff

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Old55 said:

First go to the forum search function. I know this question was covered in depth not too long ago.

Ace Ayala Cebu City has some actual smokers our family owns one. Papa uses local coconut husk charcoal and wood chips from Ace.

In your case I would think you could have one fabricated locally if you provided plans. Kingferd (spelling?) charcoal is also found at Ace but the local charcoal is great stuff

I agree with Old 55. The local stuff is great and cheap but yes, Ace Hdw has Kingford charcoal briquets.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I have been told that a lot of people turn an old refrigerator into a smoker

• Like 1

russellmania
Posted
Posted (edited)

I just bought this one a few weeks ago. I haven't used it yet, but I saw a big bag of Kingsford Charcoal with mesquite added already in Ace Hardware in SM Mall. I caught a 30% off sale at the hardware store in Robinsons mall basement. P1600

BBQGRILL.jpg

Edited by russellmania
  • Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Old55 said:

I agree with Old55. Filipino welders are clever fabricators, and if you have a plan they can follow or come up with something to your tastes.  Scrap yards sell drums too that can be fabricated to make a big smoker. I wouldn't waste money and effort to ship one because you can always purchase or have one made.

• Like 5

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, russellmania said:

I just bought this one a few weeks ago. I haven't used it yet, but I saw a big bag of Kingsford Charcoal with mesquite added already in Ace Hardware in SM Mall. I caught a 30% off sale at the hardware store in Robinsons mall basement. P1600

BBQGRILL.jpg

Thats not a smoker tho, just a regular charcoal fired bbq.

russellmania
Posted
Posted

Smoking on a charcoal grill is really easy to do, especially if you are already comfortable grilling with indirect heat. Begin by filling a chimney starter about one-third full with briquettes. When they are fully lit, pour all of the charcoal on one side of the cooking grate (if desired, use a charcoal basket, which holds the coals close together so they burn more slowly) and place a large disposable foil pan on the other side. Then, carefully add about 2 or 3 cups of water to the pan. The water in the pan is important because it helps to maintain a low cooking temperature. It also adds some moisture to the food, which in many cases will cook for hours and hours, so it could dry out otherwise. Allow 30 minutes to 1 hour for the coals to burn down to the correct temperature and the water to heat up. Next, drop damp wood chips or dry wood chunks directly onto the coals. Then place your food on top of the cooking grate over the water pan and cover your grill. Expect to add more coals every hour or so to maintain the heat.

http://www.weber.com/weber-nation/grill-skills/mastering-smoke/smoke-grill-setups/smoking-on-a-charcoal-grill

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Sander Martin said:

Thats not a smoker tho, just a regular charcoal fired bbq.

48 minutes ago, russellmania said:

Smoking on a charcoal grill is really easy to do,

AHA!  You were just itching for someone to bite on that bait Hee Hee :hystery:

• Like 1