Carrying Food Into USA

GregZ
Posted
Posted

Getting ready to go back to the USA we are going to carry some foods with us.  Mostly dried fish, canned goods, dried fruit and cooked packaged bread items.  Looks like you are not cleared to carry any noodle type products if the spice packet, like in ramen, has a meat content.  Fish is okay.

Q: Has anyone had trouble at customs carrying items in?

I looked here for my homework: US Customs and Border Protection

images.jpg

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, GregZ said:

Getting ready to go back to the USA we are going to carry some foods with us.  Mostly dried fish, canned goods, dried fruit and cooked packaged bread items.  Looks like you are not cleared to carry any noodle type products if the spice packet, like in ramen, has a meat content.  Fish is okay.

Q: Has anyone had trouble at customs carrying items in?

I looked here for my homework: US Customs and Border Protection

images.jpg

Dried fish should not be sent anywhere. It should not even be allowed here. It's air pollution.

• Like 2

GregZ
Posted
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

Dried fish should not be sent anywhere. It should not even be allowed here. It's air pollution.

I will save your life by taking all I can to the USA then. :56da64a75a342_11_12_141:

Edited by GregZ
Change emoticon. LOL
  • Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, GregZ said:

I will save your life by taking all I can to the USA then. :56da64a75a342_11_12_141:

NOOOOOOO:angry:

intrepid
Posted
Posted

Never had any trouble on our trips bringing dried fish, candy,and peanuts.  Never bring uncooked or raw items or fresh fruit.  Most important is always declare what you have so if they decide it is not allowed they will take and destroy it.  End.  Your only problem comes when you fail to declare and they find something not allowed.  Can be big trouble and fine!

• Like 2

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

My understanding is that because dried fish is so repulsive smelling that airlines will not allow them on any of their aircraft.

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Steve & Myrlita said:

My understanding is that because dried fish is so repulsive smelling that airlines will not allow them on any of their aircraft.

That would be the only reason but I don't think it really stinks until or unless you heat it up and cook it.

I'm a picky eater. If the food doesn't look good, doesn't smell good, then I'm not going to taste it to see if it tastes good. :laugh: Just thought I would throw that in. 

intrepid
Posted
Posted

If you decide you want to take the dried fish, make sure it is in the unopened plastic sealed bags.  My wife then wraps it in garage bags before packing.  Have done this for years with many different airlines and never had a problem or a smell.  Just make sure it is in your checked baggage and not carry on. 

• 2 months later...
JJReyes
Posted
Posted

I purchased dried cuttlefish from an Asian Foods grocery store. Decided to use my mother-in-laws backyard outdoor barbecue gas grill to cook it. The smell attracted cats from all over the neighborhood. There were at least 8 of them meowing and waiting on the concrete wall fence. Two neighbors showed up attracted by the smell. Turned out they were Filipinos and wanted to know where I bought the cuttlefish.  

My mother-in-law wasn't too pleased. Spent two hours cleaning the gas grill. 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Last year I brought about 20lbs of dried fish from Bantayan Island into the States. It was all vacuum sealed by the vendors at the market. At customs I declared it and was informed there was no problem. 

• Like 2