Pulled Pork?

russellmania
Posted
Posted

What is the name of the best cut of pork to make the slow cooker pulled pork BBQ sandwiches here in Phils?

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted (edited)

Pork shoulder is traditionally used for Pulled Pork:cheersty::cheersty:

When did you say we should stop by???

Edited by scott h
  • Like 3

GregZ
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, russellmania said:

What is the name of the best cut of pork to make the slow cooker pulled pork BBQ sandwiches here in Phils?

The shoulder as Scott says is the traditional cut to use.  Specifically, the upper part of the shoulder from the front leg and may contain the blade bone. In the USA they call it Boston butt or pork butt.  

You can use any part you like though.  I used tenderloins last night to make pulled pork.  Less fat.  Some folks like more fat because a lot of the taste comes from there.  Your choice! Some will claim that you need the fat to get the meat tender.  Not in my experience; if you cook pork a long time on low heat it will get tender.:56da64af91f92_23_11_602:

History of the name and cut (from Wikipedia)

In pre-revolutionary New England and into the American Revolutionary War, some pork cuts (not those highly valued, or "high on the hog", like loin and ham) were packed into casks or barrels (also known as "butts") for storage and shipment.[2] The way the hog shoulder was cut in the Boston area became known in other regions as "Boston butt". In the UK it is known as "pork hand and spring", or simply "pork hand".

kalibojerry
Posted
Posted

Greg is 100% right about the cuts and is right on it is not the cut of the pork but the way you cook it, that makes it tender and not dried out, being an Executive Chef in America I liked using the butt cut for smoking and pulled pork, for the flavor , but that is just me, the tender loin of the pork can be used for a lot of different dishes, slice the tender loin thin and soak it in milk then saute it in butter taste just like veal, I knew of places in the States back in the day would use the tender loin for veal on there menus, there are so many ways to use just this one cut , right on Greg  

• Like 2