PAL to Auckland. (my experience)

RBM
Posted
Posted

Arrived in Auckland a couple of days ago so will post my comments on this trip which some may find useful.

PAL started this run I believe around 6 months ago and as the price was attractive, eliminated the Singapore over night thought well will try it.

First, I realise there are much cheaper budget airlines how ever as a senior I am prepared to pay a little extra to enjoy a more comfortable trip..

Checked into Cebu nice and early as was scared about bridge traffic which was a non event. Check in girl was nice, friendly, she called her supervisor and they explained as I must change terminals in manila, they will board me on an earlier flight. This came as a shock as PAL head office Cebu explained same terminal. No sir, but PAL will bring you on the shuttle bus, oh OK no choice. She issued me boarding passes, Manila and also the Manila Cairns Auckland leg.

The flight was delayed to Manila so was kinda happy on an earlier one. The change of terminal was also confirmed by the hostess on board. Arrived Manila and went straight to the transit desk showed boarding pass. Sir go upstairs and proceed to the international. Oh Oh wait a minute, my flight is Auckland via Cairns...Sir just go upstairs....OK what the heck, up I go. This is the PAL terminal and was a mass of people, took me a few anxious minutes to locate the international part. So many people milling around. Once there confirmed with two guards this is correct. So lined up with many others in the immigration line. Finally my turn, told sorry sir, wrong line please proceed to other end of the terminal. What the heck, two immigrations...

After another 20 minutes through immigration to the departure area, enduring yet another security check made my way to gate 10 as per boarding pass. No monitors were working, the announcements were impossible to understand. People were obviously confused, not just yours truly. One elderly guy from the States in a wheel chair lost it....stood up screaming and yelling, the security had to deal with him. Crazy rules apply here, one is in a roped off area, I sat just 3 meters from a drink station, was allowed to remove rope to buy a drink. Drink not allowed in roped off area. After drinking water must again go through the security check..... Zero water allowed inside.

As my boarding time approached nobody at gate 10...what the heck....A guy pops out and places a sign Sydney on desk and disappeared, oh so quick....Asked around, nobody knew anything, hardly a PAL person in sight. Further down noticed people boarding, think was gate 12 so went down to be told very firmly hurry up and board. But....my pass says gate 10....Just hurry up or the plane will leave....off I trot.

Aircraft is a A320  20  Nice craft how ever no personal TV. The staff to my surprise were older and not so friendly....Food was disgusting uneatable.  Water was not offered and must be requested. The craft was around 1/4 full allowing me 3 seats. Stop over Cairns is 1.1/2 hours, extensive security check including a check for explosives. The food from Cairns to Auckland was fine. Also service vastly improved.

Well bottom line will I return to Singapore airlines or stay with PAL. Its a no brainer, pay the extra and fly Singapore Airlines.

• Like 4

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Hi RBM.

Not a good review for PAL, I have flown with them before and they were fine, seems like all airlines are on the decline and little if any care factor..

This just seems to be a world trend regrettably.

Have had many bad reports from Thai, Qantas etc.  I do hope the remainder of your trip goes well.

I am in Oz at the moment and will be putting a short post about our trip so far.  Hope it gets better.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

My Filipino brother in law had a similar review of the flight.

RBM
Posted
Posted
53 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

Hi RBM.

Not a good review for PAL, I have flown with them before and they were fine, seems like all airlines are on the decline and little if any care factor..

This just seems to be a world trend regrettably.

Have had many bad reports from Thai, Qantas etc.  I do hope the remainder of your trip goes well.

I am in Oz at the moment and will be putting a short post about our trip so far.  Hope it gets better.

Yes key word..... at the moment.

I flew Thai to the UK a few years ago, wonderful. Yet to have a bad trip Singapore Airlines, just pretty expensive and one must over night Singapore in my case which is an expensive hassle.

• Like 1

virginprune
Posted
Posted

I always use Singapore Airlines to and fro from UK. Definitely one of the better airlines I have travelled with, another being Eva. I have considered PAL but after this review I'm sure I won't bother!

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

RBM said the flight had few passengers.  With light loads, poor service  and Air New Zealand starting a direct flight in December, the PAL flight is not going to last long.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, virginprune said:

I have considered PAL but after this review I'm sure I won't bother!

As with all things Philippine, its about the money.  PAL treat their business class customers extremely well.  From what I have seen, business class on PAL is about 4 times their economy price but still compares favorably with many other airlines.  If I could afford it, I would travel PAL business class but I would surely avoid the cattle car errr tourist class.

• Like 2

Crocodile
Posted
Posted

I flew the Cairns to Manila leg in February.

Flight was uneventful - honestly can't really say I remember much about it.  Newish plane and about half full. 

• Like 1

Nephi
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

RBM said the flight had few passengers.  With light loads, poor service  and Air New Zealand starting a direct flight in December, the PAL flight is not going to last long.

I agree. With service that poor they will be out in no time. Could be that PAL is just filling a slot that they are entitled to without intending to keep it going long term. Still that does not justify the lousy service and is extremely unusual for them.

When I use to go to the States and back all the time, PAL is/was the only carrier I would use. As an ex airline employee I choose airlines for three reasons. One is safety. Second is comfort and good food. And third is on time performance. I pick my carriers in that order with safety first-always. Even if it means paying more or different routing. It's always safety first and PAL has the best flight crews and maintenance bar none.

Many things get messed up here in the Philippines and air travel is no exception. My thought here is that they are or were using contract service help without much oversight by regular PAL managers. Hopefully it will improve or they will lose the run.

Nephi

Nephi