Repairing a TV. Good News, bad news

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I just had my 32 inch LCD TV repaired.  It is about 6 years old now.

It would not turn on.  Pressed the button and it just flashed red.  So I have an all round repairman that I use because he comes to my house and does everything from cleaning and installing airons to repairing TVs and washing machines.

I can provide a contact for anyone in the Dumaguete to Tanjay area who needs this service but remember that the reason I use him is he is convenient (he comes to the house) and he gets the job done.  He is not the best or the cheapest but as an all round repairman I use his service often.

So he takes the TV to his shop to work on it and asks for a 500 peso deposit for small parts.  When he brings it back, it is fixed.  Thats the good news. But he starts whining about needing to put in some second hand parts because the parts are obsolete and then requires an additional 2500 pesos for the work done..  Thats the bad news.  Total of 3,000 pesos to get it fixed.  Not really a bad price, as it included something he called a power board.  But its still an old TV and I could have / should have replaced the darn thing for about 10K more.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

This is another of many things that "only in Da Philippines" I mean what other place could you first find someone willing and able to repair most anything? And do house calls!!! The down side they can repair anything but perhaps some items should just have a dignified death. :whistling:

• Like 4

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

We're still running a CRT TV. Every 2-3 years it seems that something gives out. We price new electronics and then usually set up a plan A-B-C.  Most often you can get by with a repair job of less than 25% the cost of a new one. If money's tight.... why not, since it'll likely give us another few years of service. We've had a low cost house call of P300 labor w/ P50 part, and a take-in of P1100 over the last 4 years. 

On the second, the wife and life time friend took it to a shop, but refused to 'leave it overnight' because they have little trust. It was either repair it as they watched, or they'd take it elsewhere. He repaired it and gave them the failed part.

I guess what you do depends upon your personal financial situation and how much of a hassle its is for you. Here in the PI, even buying new does not guarantee longevity. The risk of early failures is greater, due to the low quality of imports, so IMO its better to try and hope for a low-cost repair job first. 

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
56 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

It would not turn on.  Pressed the button and it just flashed red.  So I have an all round repairman that I use because he comes to my house and does everything from cleaning and installing airons to repairing TVs and washing machines.

I can provide a contact for anyone in the Dumaguete to Tanjay area who needs this service but remember that the reason I use him is he is convenient (he comes to the house) and he gets the job done.  He is not the best or the cheapest but as an all round repairman I use his service often.

So he takes the TV to his shop to work on it and asks for a 500 peso deposit for small parts.  When he brings it back, it is fixed.  Thats the good news. But he starts whining about needing to put in some second hand parts because the parts are obsolete and then requires an additional 2500 pesos for the work done..  Thats the bad news.  Total of 3,000 pesos to get it fixed.  Not really a bad price, as it included something he called a power board.  But its still an old TV and I could have / should have replaced the darn thing for about 10K more.

If you get a couple of years out of it, I think it would be worth it. I like LCD, it seems to me to be a matured and stable technology. I'm looking at a 10 year old 20.5 inch LCD monitor right in front of me that was premium 10 years ago. These days it's meh but it still works.

• Like 1

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

Aah the philippines and the all round repair guys ! We had a HP printer we bought with us from the UK it was 7yrs old when it went wrong HP in manila told us it was not repairable !! and told us they had special offers on new printers ! wifey called our guy told him the prob ( no power ) and within 20 minutes it was working again and printed photos as good as before ! cost 250 pesos !! he replaced 2 capacitors which he had many of so I gave him another 250 pesos as I was a happy man! However we now have a canon ink tank printer and the sister is using the HP one for her school work !

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 4/16/2016 at 2:22 PM, manofthecoldland said:

We're still running a CRT TV. Every 2-3 years it seems that something gives out.

The problem with the olds CRTs is that they suck up a lot of electricity.  My bro-in-law works on them and as you said, you can keep fixing them for a long time, for not much mula.  

He also says that in their province it is rare that someone will pay for fixing an older LCD TV because it is hard and costly to get the old digital parts, like Dave described.  A 6 year old 32 in LCD probably cost p25k, and now they are cheap.  I just looked at Lazada and some 32" LED are as low as p6000.

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Dave, you should have bought this:

http://www.lazada.com.ph/samsung-ua78hu9000-78-3d-smart-curved-uhd-tv-black-268053.html

Read the first review.  I think the guy bought one for his maid.  :dance:

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 4/16/2016 at 3:21 PM, Dave Hounddriver said:

6 years old for a tv these days Dave, usually past their use by date.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Dave, you should have bought this:

Yvonne reminded me its her birthday today, seriously, and suggested you could buy it for her :7481:

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I bought a 32inch tv at Robinsons for 9000.