The risks of being a public foreigner

Gas
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

He actually appeared as superman in the Philippines and the streets were crowded to see him.

Look at me Look at me! Narcissist............... my i am a grumpy old man today!

• Like 1

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Sander Martin said:

Its just the "Filipino pride". Most people really agree about most the bad things said about Phillipines if a Filipino says it, foregners on the other hand aren't allowed to say anything negative.

Have not watched he's videos, unless he's racist, then thats just he's personal opinion. People have to deal on the fact that everybody has opinions .

Sander, I also agree with this whole complaint issue being seen as an issue of "Filipino pride". From a cultural standpoint-you and me being on the outside looking in (a foreigner with a high profile vlog channel with 100k viewers)-well, who are we as outsiders to "teach and preach" (tongue in cheek) :6:about the ins and outs of a country that is not ours? The person filing the complaint may feel indignant to say the least:SugarwareZ-004:. This guy Travis appears in Filipino films, has influential Filipino friends, attends high falutin' social functions, and has a wife who is an MC at concerts-BUT he's a foreigner-hmm. Crab mentality comes to mind. Basically he's a good guy IMO that has said good things in lots of his videos from what I saw-but again-maybe he strikes a nerve-apparently to "certain" Filipinos as you have pointed out

• Like 1

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Hey Steve said:

Sander, I also agree with this whole complaint issue being seen as an issue of "Filipino pride". From a cultural standpoint-you and me being on the outside looking in (a foreigner with a high profile vlog channel with 100k viewers)-well, who are we as outsiders to "teach and preach" (tongue in cheek) :6:about the ins and outs of a country that is not ours? The person filing the complaint may feel indignant to say the least:SugarwareZ-004:. This guy Travis appears in Filipino films, has influential Filipino friends, attends high falutin' social functions, and has a wife who is an MC at concerts-BUT he's a foreigner-hmm. Crab mentality comes to mind. Basically he's a good guy IMO that has said good things in lots of his videos from what I saw-but again-maybe he strikes a nerve-apparently to "certain" Filipinos as you have pointed out

Haha i agree, but what is the main thing? He is a foreigner.. Not allowed to judge :P

• Like 1

bows00
Posted
Posted

I have viewed many of Travis's videos, and I have not seen any where he trashes or disgraces the Philippines.  It is true that not all of his opinions are all puppies and rainbows, but you wouldn't expect that of any vlog.

There is another vlogger, Peter Vandever, now that guy is another story.  That is someone to complain about...

• Like 1

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, bows00 said:

I have viewed many of Travis's videos, and I have not seen any where he trashes or disgraces the Philippines.  It is true that not all of his opinions are all puppies and rainbows, but you wouldn't expect that of any vlog.

There is another vlogger, Peter Vandever, now that guy is another story.  That is someone to complain about...

Ha I see that too, Bows..he's a loose canon traveling the Philippines and seems to have some pretty serious personality disorders-I remember him, while in Davao trashing muslims (very bad to do)-seemed like a death wish on his part.

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

I don't do Facebook so I cannot comment on the guy. I do express my opinion here about what I do not like about the PI. I even have a lot to say about the states that I do not like. Don't get me started on that. There is a helluva lot that I disagree with here in the states.

Here I believe most are expats and also express their likes and dislikes about the Philippines. So, we tend to agree or disagree on different things. My wife, on the other hand, is sensitive to criticism so I'm careful with my gripes and complaints around her. Only if she brings up the subject will I comment. I NEVER express my complaints to neighbors. I don't want to leave a bad impression on them of foreigners. One has to be careful or should be careful when expressing complaints. Ok, what about OPINIONS? When discussing a problem do we offer a possible solution or do we just bytch and moan? I'll guarantee you that some people will complain about the colors of a rainbow. I have an old friend that will argue just for the sake of arguing. For example and I am not exaggerating, if I were to step on a large ant, he would say something like, "was that ant bothering you" That little ant may have a family to feed and you killed it". 

• Like 1

Ram1957
Posted
Posted

If you look at the posts on the BI FB in January 2016 you will see that Peter Vandever also has complaints against him and nothing has happened. Wish he would be deported. If you check out the facebook page of the person that made the complain against Travis you will notice that it has no information, thats a red flag. So it could very well be one of his competitors on youtube.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

If I'm asked my opinion while in Philippines I say something like "I honestly don't know I'm just a visitor". Smiles all around. I keep my thoughts to myself we have enough problems here in the States I'm not gonna start stressing about stuff in another country I have no control of anyway.

• Like 3

Mike S
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Old55 said:

If I'm asked my opinion while in Philippines I say something like "I honestly don't know I'm just a visitor". Smiles all around. I keep my thoughts to myself we have enough problems here in the States I'm not gonna start stressing about stuff in another country I have no control of anyway.

I just tell them "I'm not allowed by law to have an opinion about any goings on here in the PI" ..... :hystery::hystery::cornflakes:

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Ram1957 said:

If you check out the facebook page of the person that made the complain against Travis you will notice that it has no information, thats a red flag. So it could very well be one of his competitors on youtube.

Could be and what made his complaint useless is that he did not give a link to anything but Travis chanel, nothing specific.  I sent Travis a personal message to ask if he was aware of the complaint, he said he did not know about it and we have had a bit of a chat. Seems like a nice guy so told him I will meet up and he owes me a beer,lol. Easy to chat with superman in modern times :mocking:

12 hours ago, Gratefuled said:

I don't do Facebook so I cannot comment on the guy.

Nothing to do with Facebook as its youtube we are talking about here. :thumbsup:

11 hours ago, Ram1957 said:

If you look at the posts on the BI FB in January 2016 you will see that Peter Vandever also has complaints against him and nothing has happened. Wish he would be deported

Time is ticking for him and I am sure his day will come. He makes his money by his attitude like that is his way of getting subscribers and possibly he is not so bad in person but I really cant comment on that and hope I never meet him. :tiphat:

• Like 1