Monterey meat shop.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I remember somebody asked about a Moterey meat in Dumaguete I have not seen one but in Robinsons yesterday I saw meat with that label on in their freezer section.So maybe that will help.

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

We have one here in Bacolod and some of the guys rave about it but I have never tried it although we went in there one time .... :cornflakes:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Mike S said:

We have one here in Bacolod

I found one in Tanjay and another in Bais and I noticed the quality has gone WAY downhill since Monterey first started.  Seems they put their sticker on any old crap these days but there are often still a few cuts of meat available there which I cannot find in Duma without paying super premium prices.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

I saw meat with that label on in their freezer section.So maybe that will help.

There used to actually BE Monterey meat in that section, but . . there is no truth in advertising and there is seldom any Monterey meat in that freezer section.  Shame how this country is going backward in their quality of meat, but that is just an 'expat' opinion, not an 'expert' opinion :hystery:

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
On 4/20/2016 at 0:42 PM, Dave Hounddriver said:

There used to actually BE Monterey meat in that section, but . . there is no truth in advertising and there is seldom any Monterey meat in that freezer section.  Shame how this country is going backward in their quality of meat, but that is just an 'expat' opinion, not an 'expert' opinion :hystery:

Well Dave now I know I will think twice before I buy any there.

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

I woud buy our meat at Gaisano. They have LISA'S MEATS  there. It's very good beef. I think it's Australian beef. If I wanted boneless, skinless chicken, they would oblige. Just weighed it before they boned and skinned it. 

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

I only buy beef from Rustan's --I think that's Monterey Meat.  S&R has great meat, but steak prices are out of my reach money wise. Rustan's beef is pretty tender and the ground beef actually looks and smells like beef.  My husband and I have both noticed that beef purchased in other supermarkets have a distinctive "soapy" taste. We wondered if it was the way the meat was handled around counter tops maybe?

Magnolia chicken is great because of it's size, and free-range variety id greta too. Other loose packaged chicken has that distinctive "gamey" smell, and you would have to douse it with lemon juice to get rid of it.

We seldom eat Philippine pork of any brand because it just doesn't have any flavor, and you're paying for half-fat in eat piece.

I'll eat lechon though, if it's roasted at a party or fiesta.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

We shop at Robinson's - one in particular for their meat counter. They sell Monterrey meat and that is what we usually buy.  What is labeled Monterey is usually bigger cuts, and looks/smells better. It is a little more expensive than than the Robinson's brand. (pork steak p215 kilo/p195 kilo). 

The pork steak has a little fat, and a small bone, but nothing like the pork chop, it has almost no meat ha ha.  The pork tapa is pretty good, sliced pretty thin, no bone, almost no fat (makes a good schnitzel).

Never been a huge fan of beef so the occasional ground beef an I am good. The ground beef is so dry here I mix it 50/50 with ground pork anyway.

The Magnolia chicken is good... as far as chicken goes... I buy one breast a week. After I debone it I cut it in half for 2 meals. That is enough chicken at the house as we tend to eat a lot of chicken at Jollibbees, Mang Inasal, and Greenwich.

I buy 5 pork steaks and 1 chicken breast, that is lunch & dinner for a week.  My wife just eats fish. She prefers canned or dried ~yuck! She does request, and eat, schnitzel.   :tiphat:

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 4/20/2016 at 2:39 PM, Dave Hounddriver said:

I found one in Tanjay and another in Bais

Their website says

La Residencia, Almar Bldg. San Juan st. cor. Rizal Blvd., Dumaguete City

Lee PLaza Mall, Bagacay, Dumaguete City

You, your wife can put up her own Monterey meat shop for

Investment Requirements
Estimated Initial Investment: Approximately P1.2 to 3 Million, depending on the size of the meat shop
Franchise Fee = 336,000
Construction = 800,000
Equipment & Supplies = 1,900,000
Merchandising Materials = 20,000
Meat Inventory= variable
Royalty Fee  2% of monthly purchase
Advertising Fee 1% of monthly purchase

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

We shop at Robinson's - one in particular for their meat counter. They sell Monterrey meat and that is what we usually buy.  What is labeled Monterey is usually bigger cuts, and looks/smells better. It is a little more expensive than than the Robinson's brand. (pork steak p215 kilo/p195 kilo). 

The pork steak has a little fat, and a small bone, but nothing like the pork chop, it has almost no meat ha ha.  The pork tapa is pretty good, sliced pretty thin, no bone, almost no fat (makes a good schnitzel).

Never been a huge fan of beef so the occasional ground beef an I am good. The ground beef is so dry here I mix it 50/50 with ground pork anyway.

The Magnolia chicken is good... as far as chicken goes... I buy one breast a week. After I debone it I cut it in half for 2 meals. That is enough chicken at the house as we tend to eat a lot of chicken at Jollibbees, Mang Inasal, and Greenwich.

I buy 5 pork steaks and 1 chicken breast, that is lunch & dinner for a week.  My wife just eats fish. She prefers canned or dried ~yuck! She does request, and eat, schnitzel.   :tiphat:

Being in Iloilo aswell i have noticed that the SM and Robinsons meat sections stinks of rotten meat. I get my meat from the wet market or Iloilo Supermarts (our Villa supermart has 3 different meat sellers to choose from - you get your meat and pay in the cashier). I do miss the fact that they almost never have bigger boneless cuts of pork (usually i have to get the large cubes and hammer them thin with the meat hammer). I cook my bonesless/fatless pork in the oven, and after its brownish on top i cover it with mayo, alot of onions and cheese (mozarella, because its 400p per kg here). Back in the oven till cheese is golden. Yum yum yum (even my family loves it - or they say they do and are excited when i cook it).

Edited by Sander Martin