Philippines voter hack

ITGeek
Posted
Posted

Read this article about the Philippines Voter database being hacked and posted online.  Leave it to any government computer project to lack proper IT security.  Most of the data left unencrypted and what's worse, potential of compromising these fingerprints of the registered voters.  Any of your biometrics for security are useless if compromised.  It's not like you can get a new set of fingerprints.  The data breach also exposed the Passport information for OFW's and will likely result in having to issue new passports.

Philippines data breach fingerprint data

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I was typing in some friends and family names in the online database... there is a lot of info online.  Not exactly the 'freedom of information' law they were asking for....   :tiphat:

• Like 1

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted

What do you expect from a country thats departments etc still use yahoo.com email addresses etc etc..

• Like 3

earthdome
Posted
Posted
On 4/22/2016 at 4:47 AM, Sander Martin said:

What do you expect from a country thats departments etc still use yahoo.com email addresses etc etc..

The USA isn't any better. I have had my personal identifying information stolen twice. Once from a stolen VA laptop the second time from the public university I worked for insecure database.

• Like 1

ITGeek
Posted
Posted
On 4/24/2016 at 10:40 PM, earthdome said:

The USA isn't any better. I have had my personal identifying information stolen twice. Once from a stolen VA laptop the second time from the public university I worked for insecure database.

Not to mention mine taken from Office of Personnel Management (OPM).  I used to have a high level security clearance.  The DOD's also have been compromised.  Today, I read a story in the news that an ISIS hacker group published the names of US State Dept employees.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

In Dallas County we had to put our social security numbers on our time cards and all our work orders... prisoners were all around our paperwork.  We complained but somehow the bosses saw no problem with it...

There is no more privacy.  My daughter actually told me that only old people worry about privacy anymore - it is not important.  I told her she is f*ing crazy ha ha  :tiphat:

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

My daughter actually told me that only old people worry about privacy anymore - it is not important.

It is the young folks that publish their entire life story on Facebook.  Where they live, work, school, going on vacation, boyfriends, girlfriends, etc.  "Going on vacation for two weeks to the beach next week, hurray".  Parents come home from vacation to find the house has been robbed and ransacked. :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Like 3

Mike S
Posted
Posted

It's not just kids also grown-ups that should know better .... just last week J found our next door neighbors fc book page online by just searching her name and there it was all her info including tons of pictures of where she lives ... where she works and her whole life history ..... people just don't realize just how unsecured these social media sites are .....

As to the younger generation thinking that we old codgers worry to much about privacy (and security goes right along with that) that is what is one of the major problems in the US right now .... no one is worried about who is stealing your info and doing god knows what with it ..... companies like US government ..... google .... microsoft .... facebook .... twitter and others have distilled in our young folks that the info they steal (yes steal) is perfectly safe and no one will have access to it ..... yea right and I have an island in the south china sea I will sell you real cheap .... after you get China to leave .... :SugarwareZ-004::cornflakes:

ITGeek
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

In Dallas County we had to put our social security numbers on our time cards and all our work orders... prisoners were all around our paperwork.  We complained but somehow the bosses saw no problem with it...

There is no more privacy.  My daughter actually told me that only old people worry about privacy anymore - it is not important.  I told her she is f*ing crazy ha ha  :tiphat:

Tell her and other young people they won't be laughing when they don't get hired because the employers went through their social media posts.  I couldn't even use social media while I had my security clearance.