Do any of you feed the neighborhood cats back in the Philippines?

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
On 28 April 2016 at 10:20 PM, Tukaram (Tim) said:

I have seen very few cats over here... I figured the dogs must take care of them...  Stray dogs are everywhere - cats, not so much.  I don't feed stray anythings, though. 

The animal control (dog catcher) keeps our area dog free for the most part. My wife says that they feed the prisoners "dog meat". I don't know if that's true or not. I love dogs and cats but I could never have one or the other in the Philippines. Our place is just not big enough. 

• 2 months later...
ttmctoad
Posted
Posted
On April 28, 2016 at 4:26 PM, Gratefuled said:

Ok, I'll have to get rid of it somehow. I tried leaving a little out in a bowl but the ants got to it before any dog did. There is a goat on the next street and a rooster. I'll tell my wife but I doubt that she will go out and feed them. It will have to wait til I get back.

Dogs will eat it.

canadamale
Posted
Posted

I do not feed them here, in Canada I fed a few cats, but there I knew for sure they were strays. Here how can you tell ?

i am bob
Posted
Posted

you mean...   we can't eat the cats here...?  but they taste so much like chicken...

:whistling:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, i am bob said:

we can't eat the cats here...?  but they taste so much like chicken...

I was told by a local that the reason they don't eat the cats is that the meat is green and they taste like rat.  Means to me that they have tried cats and rats at some point.

• Like 5

Benington
Posted
Posted

Our adopted stray cats happily eat dog food chunks when there's no fish available . It's a lot cheaper than cat food.

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

Well, that was then ( April )and this is now (July). The neighbor who laughed is not laughing anymore. We now have 2 adult female cats, 2 adult male cats and a few younger cats that come around every morning for their commercial cat food. Wife even buys some cheap fish that look like little sardines that she boils and gives to them. The scrawny cats are now healthy and active. They chase each other around like kids. We allow the 2 adult females inside our yard and they find some place to sleep during the rain and hot days. 

It's funny to see how territorial the cats can be. Even the little ones and females. The 2 adult cats would fight each other until we sprayed them with water. Now, they just hiss and growl at each other. 

We will have a problem when one of the adult females gets knocked up and has a litter. The good thing is that cats will not shit in our yard, it's all tile. They go out and shit in my neighbors yard and come back. 

The dry cat food is not that expensive and we feel like good samaritans. 

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Gratefuled said:

Well, that was then ( April )and this is now (July). The neighbor who laughed is not laughing anymore. We now have 2 adult female cats, 2 adult male cats and a few younger cats that come around every morning for their commercial cat food. Wife even buys some cheap fish that look like little sardines that she boils and gives to them. The scrawny cats are now healthy and active. They chase each other around like kids. We allow the 2 adult females inside our yard and they find some place to sleep during the rain and hot days. 

It's funny to see how territorial the cats can be. Even the little ones and females. The 2 adult cats would fight each other until we sprayed them with water. Now, they just hiss and growl at each other. 

We will have a problem when one of the adult females gets knocked up and has a litter. The good thing is that cats will not shit in our yard, it's all tile. They go out and shit in my neighbors yard and come back. 

The dry cat food is not that expensive and we feel like good samaritans. 

So, basically, you are saying you are running a cat-house? :smile:

What kind of commercial cat food have you found?  Randomly they will have good brands in large bags at some of the duty free stores, but they are usually very expensive.  They had big bags at S&R but I have not been there for a long time.  The last two bags I have bought were Whiskas at a local vet, p1000 for a 7 kg bag.  That is the best deal I have found lately.  That will last about 6 months or so for our fat black panther.

DSCN2074-001.JPG

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

The last two bags I have bought were Whiskas at a local vet, p1000 for a 7 kg bag.

We do similar.  There are 2 vets we have bought from lately.  The best vet takes one of the 7kg bag of Whiskas and divides it up into 1 kg bags.  There is no economy of scale here so it costs the same to buy 7 of the 1 kg bags as it does to buy the larger bag. Another vet sells a "knock off" brand that looks and smells like Whiskas, and he charges the same a the vet who sells Whiskas, but the cats don't like it  Whiskas is also available at Robinson's supermarket for double (no joke) the price that the vet charges.

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

We do similar.  There are 2 vets we have bought from lately.  The best vet takes one of the 7kg bag of Whiskas and divides it up into 1 kg bags.  There is no economy of scale here so it costs the same to buy 7 of the 1 kg bags as it does to buy the larger bag. Another vet sells a "knock off" brand that looks and smells like Whiskas, and he charges the same a the vet who sells Whiskas, but the cats don't like it  Whiskas is also available at Robinson's supermarket for double (no joke) the price that the vet charges.

There is another vet down the street was breaking the bags into 1 kg bags, and he charged 200 per 1 kg bag.  Another new pet supply was charging 1300 per 7 kg bag.

• Like 2