Do any of you feed the neighborhood cats back in the Philippines?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

There is another vet down the street was breaking the bags into 1 kg bags, and he charged 200 per 1 kg bag

We must have a good vet.  He charges us 135 per bag.  But we are in Dumaguete so the cost of living may be lower.  Or the vet you refer to is gouging because he has rich clients and wants some of their money.

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

We must have a good vet.  He charges us 135 per bag.  But we are in Dumaguete so the cost of living may be lower.  Or the vet you refer to is gouging because he has rich clients and wants some of their money.

I haven't been to a vet to buy the cat food. It's available at SM Market, Gaisano Market also. Whiskas is one brand but there are other brands also. The cats we have here are really wild. They do not like to be petted but they tolerate it. They refuse to come inside the house. 

Oh, before I forget. I had an old cardboard box that I flattened out to give to basura man but I found that the cats love scratching it and ripping it. I think they sharpen their claws this way. It's funny because I can hear them scratching and scratching it during the day. They like sleeping under a couple of  rocking chairs outside. The front of our house is shaded all day with tile floor and its cool for them. My wife even gave them names. The males are Baste  and Carlo. The females are Bridget, Catsup and Wynette. I forget what she calls the other cats.

Our stepson likes to say that she (mother) likes the cats more than she likes us. 

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

So, basically, you are saying you are running a cat-house? :smile:

What kind of commercial cat food have you found?  Randomly they will have good brands in large bags at some of the duty free stores, but they are usually very expensive.  They had big bags at S&R but I have not been there for a long time.  The last two bags I have bought were Whiskas at a local vet, p1000 for a 7 kg bag.  That is the best deal I have found lately.  That will last about 6 months or so for our fat black panther.

DSCN2074-001.JPG

That's a great looking cat. Yes, our home seems to have turned into a CAT HOUSE.  ( smile) 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Sander Martin
Posted
Posted
On 27 July 2016 at 1:12 AM, Gratefuled said:

They go out and shit in my neighbors yard and come back. 

How is your neighbor liking all the free fertilizer from your cat harem ????

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
On 7/27/2016 at 6:12 AM, Gratefuled said:

The good thing is that cats will not shit in our yard, it's all tile. They go out and shit in my neighbors yard and come back. 

Reminds me of Joe and Ed's conversation.

Joe, My cat goes into your garden and Poops then covers it up so you don't see it.

Ed, They all do that Joe.

Joe, What? with a spade like our does :hystery:

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Sander Martin said:

How is your neighbor liking all the free fertilizer from your cat harem ????

I don't know but stray dogs also poop in their unfenced yards. Not my problem.

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Reminds me of Joe and Ed's conversation.

Joe, My cat goes into your garden and Poops then covers it up so you don't see it.

Ed, They all do that Joe.

Joe, What? with a spade like our does :hystery:

At least the cats cover up their poop. Unlike the neighbors who let their dawgs out to poop on every one eles'e yards and the middle of the street. Which reminds me of a movie I once saw with Jim Carrey and Rene Zeeler, "ME, MYSELF AND IRENE, where Jim gets tired of his neighbor's dog coming over and pooping in his yard. So, he decides to drop his pants and drop a big load of his own in his neighbor's yard. (paybacks are WHAT?)

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted

A waste of good food IMO

• Like 2

Benington
Posted
Posted

A type of "semi adoption" works for us. We used to have a problem with rats...not any more. So it certainly isn't a waste for us! Cheap rice plus cheap brands of sardines, supplemented by any left overs suitable for their small mouths. Occasionally they get some some dog food mixed with the rice. We use a brand from Robinsons costing under P50/kg.

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, mogo51 said:

A waste of good food IMO

Yes, a waste of good food.  Did ja ever  wonder why everything  one  eats turns to poop.

• Like 1