Condiment Mysteries???

MikeSwede
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Sander Martin said:

Pickled cucumbers would be easy to make if you find small cucumbers for sale in the market (i have only found big ones). Id kill for some cucumbers pickled in brine (salt water) now... Not a big fan of cucumbers pickled in vinegar, but id still eat them - would be much better than the sour sugar sauce of Filipino "pickles".

All the Scandinavians and Estonians in Perth used to go to IKEA for their beatballs. I went a few times and the taste was just "meh". Not good nor bad. It's probably because the meat balls are frozen and the potato mash is that dry mix with water chemical tasting mash. Better then nothing, but nothing special - not like grandmom used to make.

You are probably, and hopefully, spot on. Frozen to death, and tweaked with extras to not expire before the next century :)

Talking of grandma, I must ask my sister to get me her book of good stuff, she used to make sweets and things.

Cookies and pastery is something else that taste very different, butter cookies, buns with cinnamon. So many things I came up with now!

• Like 2

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, MikeSwede said:

You are probably, and hopefully, spot on. Frozen to death, and tweaked with extras to not expire before the next century :)

Talking of grandma, I must ask my sister to get me her book of good stuff, she used to make sweets and things.

Cookies and pastery is something else that taste very different, butter cookies, buns with cinnamon. So many things I came up with now!

I'm with you and Sander about making your ownciondiments:)  I'm half Swedish on my mother's side, but aside from my sister's Swedish meatballs at Christmas, IKEA was a pretty decent replacement. Pickles could be made easily enough if you had pickling spices I would think.  Yesterday I went on-line and found a cooked mayonnaise recipe and I infused it with canola oil and my own seasonings. I must say it came out creamy and tasty in my and husband's opinion. I suppose making your own condiments/recipes could be done if you had right seasonings. Don't think I'd get into selling anything though:)

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

I like and enjoy hot spicy food. So, I guess I like just about anything that enhances my food. I have  powdered red chili, garlic powder, powdered cumin, coarse black pepper, crushed red chili.  I use powdered cinnamon (for my baking needs. I use Mc Cormick brand spices. 

I buy the little red and green chili peppers in the veggie dept. I use garlic cloves in much of my food and the brown onions. 

As for the vinegar I use Balsamic Vinegar for my salads. I like the can Jalapeno chili peppers to add a little more spice to my food. Not too fond of pickles so I never buy any. I like both black and green olives. I buy a red chili sauce called Cholula. 

The only other item that I enjoy once in a while is Vlasic Sauerkraut with Brats.

That about rounds it up. I do my own cooking so that explains my various needs. I do not eat much Filipino food. 

• Like 1

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

I like and enjoy hot spicy food. So, I guess I like just about anything that enhances my food. I have  powdered red chili, garlic powder, powdered cumin, coarse black pepper, crushed red chili.  I use powdered cinnamon (for my baking needs. I use Mc Cormick brand spices. 

I buy the little red and green chili peppers in the veggie dept. I use garlic cloves in much of my food and the brown onions. 

As for the vinegar I use Balsamic Vinegar for my salads. I like the can Jalapeno chili peppers to add a little more spice to my food. Not too fond of pickles so I never buy any. I like both black and green olives. I buy a red chili sauce called Cholula. 

The only other item that I enjoy once in a while is Vlasic Sauerkraut with Brats.

That about rounds it up. I do my own cooking so that explains my various needs. I do not eat much Filipino food. 

Do you know if supermarkets stock sauerkraut here or do you have to go to a speciality shop (probably non in Iloilo)??? I love sauerkraut. Back home we would boil it on low heat with some fatty meat and honey. After 3 or 4 hours it turns golden and soft. The fat has melted and bonded with the cabbage. Meat is nice and tender.

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

Do you know if supermarkets stock sauerkraut here or do you have to go to a speciality shop (probably non in Iloilo)??? I love sauerkraut. Back home we would boil it on low heat with some fatty meat and honey. After 3 or 4 hours it turns golden and soft. The fat has melted and bonded with the cabbage. Meat is nice and tender.

Hi Sander Martin. I like it too (Sauerkraut) but not often. I buy it at S & R the membership store in Davao city.

They used to stock it in Gaisano but not anymore.

Good Luck

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, Sander Martin said:

sauerkraut

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I buy my Sauerkraut at S&R. According to google, one is due to open up in Iloillo in 2016.

:6:

• Like 2

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

Not sure if lime juice would be considered a condiment, but I like a good Gin and Tonic made at home, but the local "dayap" fruits that are found occasionally here have a bitter "piney" taste and are not fragrant, and don't make a good drink, to my taste. Lately I have been craving a key lime pie, and would love to find some key lime juice even  in a bottle. Has anyone ever found any?

Native lemoncito or kalimansi citrus fruits are great for many things, but a good persian/key lime in any form would be great to find. 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
55 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

don't make a good drink

Queenie, you know I am joking and saying this with love BUT:

After the first 3 Gin and Kalamansi, I am willing to bet the 4th tastes just fine :hystery:.

But seriously, there are a few things that I have NOT been able to find at times. Like good Italian sausage for spaghetti and such. I made the acquaintance (and friendship of sorts)  of an expat owner of an local Italian restaurant who gets his supplies from a restaurant supplier. He buffs up his order on Italian sausage and when it comes in he text's me and we go down, have a meal and he sells me a few pounds.

If there is a resort nearby, or a nicer hotel, perhaps you can drop buy, have a g&t and if it meets your taste ask them where they get their limes (or lime juice additive?). Hmmmm seems like a fun research project :6:.

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, scott h said:

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I buy my Sauerkraut at S&R. According to google, one is due to open up in Iloillo in 2016.

:6:

For the last 2years they have said one was opening here in Iloilo in 2016, last year they even had job postings on their website.  Now... not a word about it... I do hope they build one here, but I could find nothing online about construction actually starting... Most of the Cebu expats rave on about it.  Honestly it sounds expensive to me - I would buy too much good stuff ha ha   :tiphat:

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, scott h said:

Queenie, you know I am joking and saying this with love BUT:

After the first 3 Gin and Kalamansi, I am willing to bet the 4th tastes just fine :hystery:.

But seriously, there are a few things that I have NOT been able to find at times. Like good Italian sausage for spaghetti and such. I made the acquaintance (and friendship of sorts)  of an expat owner of an local Italian restaurant who gets his supplies from a restaurant supplier. He buffs up his order on Italian sausage and when it comes in he text's me and we go down, have a meal and he sells me a few pounds.

If there is a resort nearby, or a nicer hotel, perhaps you can drop buy, have a g&t and if it meets your taste ask them where they get their limes (or lime juice additive?). Hmmmm seems like a fun research project :6:.

Oh I know you're right Scott--I can't say it would stop me from drinking one or more without the correct lime in it:) LOL That's a practical idea about asking a local classy bartender! I guess I hadn't thought of that before when I had ordered one in the past--just glad to get it!  Last night I saw a commercial on TV touting the Genebra brand gin where some "suave" guy comes into a bar and orders a gin and tonic and impresses his fellow drinkers at the bar. The thing is, they served it with what appeared to be a lemon wedge!?   I'll let you know how I make out next time I order a decent one, but I like Tanqueray myself:)

A German restaurant near us in the province, also sold what they called a Mediterranean sausage among other items that tasted pretty good in sauce and for white spaghetti.  I'll now go your route, and say that I've gotten really good Italian sausage in the deli case at S&R here in Cebu:)

Queenie