Condiment Mysteries???

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

Most of the Cebu expats rave on about it.  Honestly it sounds expensive to me - I would buy too much good stuff

I agree.  When living in Cebu I found many of my peers did not shop at S & R because we found that we spent triple as much per month on groceries when we found stuff that tasted good.  The way to keep the weight down and keep the food budget down is to buy the stuff that is cheap and tastes like crap.  Its one of the joys of living here, which I say sarcastically but there is a benefit to keeping the weight down so I am not complaining too loud about the dearth of good food available here.  When I make trips back to Canada I tend to put on 5 pounds a week from eating good, tasty food.

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

For the last 2years they have said one was opening here in Iloilo in 2016, last year they even had job postings on their website.  Now... not a word about it... I do hope they build one here, but I could find nothing online about construction actually starting... Most of the Cebu expats rave on about it.  Honestly it sounds expensive to me - I would buy too much good stuff ha ha   :tiphat:

Yeah Tim--I don't go there as often as I'd like because of those reasons:)

Gator
Posted
Posted
On May 7, 2016 at 0:47 AM, Queenie O. said:

I would say that as an American, that yes in my opinion Americans are very particular and partial to their own brands of food and have particular opinions about how certain foods should taste. snip

How do you feel about condiment buying here? Have you gotten burned on some too? Do you have any favorites to share with us?

Sour cream! I've tried a few brands, Nestle's is about the best, but still not as thick, creamy or tasty as Breaksrone's or Daisy brands. 

Rustan's in Ayala usually has a fairly good selection of condiments. Can't recall the name off the top of my head, but the deli next to Crossroads Plaza on M.J. Cuenco Avenue (Cebu City) also has a decent selection of imported condiments (like good German mustard) as well as good quality sausages (including Italian style), meats, and cheeses. 

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Gator said:

On 5/7/2016 at 0:47 PM, Queenie O. said:

I would say that as an American, that yes in my opinion Americans are very particular and partial to their own brands of food and have particular opinions about how certain foods should taste. snip

How do you feel about condiment buying here? Have you gotten burned on some too? Do you have any favorites to share with us?

Sour cream! I've tried a few brands, Nestle's is about the best, but still not as thick, creamy or tasty as Breaksrone's or Daisy brands.

Oh yeah Gator... Breakstone's and Daisy sour creams...

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted

How could i have forgot sour cream... I love it. I eat atleast half a kilo a week in home (and while i was living in Australia). I use sour cream like ketchup. Tried the Nestle sour cream here and it was horrible (and expensive). Went home for a month in feb/march and probably ate 3 kilos of that. God i miss dairy....

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I have never been a big sour cream fan, but can eat it on certain things.  We have a restaurant here, Ole, that is Mexican/Cuban 'inspired'.  A bit expensive, but pretty good.  They have a sour cream they serve that is kind of weird.  Pretty good, but weird.   It has a little yellow tint, is kind of buttery, kind of sweet, kind of sour cream.

I have no idea what brand it is, but I actually like it better than real sour cream :tiphat:

• Like 1

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted

5 minutes ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

I have never been a big sour cream fan, but can eat it on certain things.  We have a restaurant here, Ole, that is Mexican/Cuban 'inspired'.  A bit expensive, but pretty good.  They have a sour cream they serve that is kind of weird.  Pretty good, but weird.   It has a little yellow tint, is kind of buttery, kind of sweet, kind of sour cream.

I have no idea what brand it is, but I actually like it better than real sour cream :tiphat:

Its just you Americans and Mexican food Tim :D.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Sander Martin said:

Its just you Americans and Mexican food Tim :D

It is not exactly Mexican food... but it will do until a Mexican joint actually opens here ha ha.  If it does not come with refried beans and Spanish rice - it ain't Tex-Mex :tiphat: 

...but you should taste the salsa I made last night...soooooo good.

• Like 3