Dumaguete - a great place to retire

mogo51
Posted
Posted (edited)

Our 2.5 weeks in Philippines comes to an end today here in Dumaguete and we return to Thailand later this afternoon (Sunday).

I love Dumaguete and above all, I have met some great forum friends here. Jack, Kev & Dave, been a great few days for us, we are fortunate to now call you all (and your lovely wives) - friends.

This is a great place to retire, good infrastructure, shopping facilities and pleasant environment.  I will shouting the praises of Dumaguete long and far.

Thank you gents for all the efforts you have made to make our stay a very pleasant and enjoyable experience.  I will be back even if just to see my new dear and valued friends.

Edited by mogo51
  • Like 4

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Have a safe trip back to Thailand.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, mogo51 said:

This is a great place to retire, good infrastructure, shopping facilities and pleasant environment.  I will shouting the praises of Dumaguete long and far.

Well looks like you may have found home but I'm sure I read somewhere here that the traffic in Pattaya was a problem for you and I read from the Dumaguete members that traffic is a nightmare there so is this not a problem any more or just overlooked while on a short stay?

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Well looks like you may have found home but I'm sure I read somewhere here that the traffic in Pattaya was a problem for you and I read from the Dumaguete members that traffic is a nightmare there so is this not a problem any more or just overlooked while on a short stay?

Pattaya is busy all the time here in Dumaguete it is only really bad at rush hour.

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted

Think some of the Dumaguete bashing (especially me) comes from a few of us whom remember Dumaguete how it was. Before the malls and huge influx of foreigners. One could safely cross the road with just a glance. Few if any beggars...Side walks easy to walk on. No crowds.....my my how it has changed.

I would say traffic is bad pretty much at all times, especially in and around Real St, just the volume of trikes, motors and to a lesser degree cars. Fortunately one is out of the chaos reasonable soon, unlike Cebu

Yes some great folks as mentioned. Hope catch up with them soon.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, RBM said:

Think some of the Dumaguete bashing (especially me)

My mention of traffic is not Dumaguete bashing it's just an observation from this forum and others and youtube but Kev says it only rush hours so maybe I got it wrong. :tiphat:

bows00
Posted
Posted

This is music to my ears... I cannot wait to check it out.   Hopefully, can make it my home.  Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, RBM said:

I would say traffic is bad pretty much at all times

I would agree, if I am actually driving and if you are talking about during business hours.  If I'm not the one driving, its great to take a jeepney or a trike during non peak hours as they seem to be able to get their vehicles through the eye of a needle. I find the traffic stressful pretty much all the time that businesses are open.  If I am just going for a walk on the boulevard I wait until after 9 pm to drive home and the traffic is great.

RBM
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

My mention of traffic is not Dumaguete bashing it's just an observation from this forum and others and youtube but Kev says it only rush hours so maybe I got it wrong. :tiphat:

Its my considered opinion from riding, driving a number of years here on various Island that Dumaguete is among the worst. Meaning the chances of being involved in an accident is far higher than in most cities here.  Not just rush hours but from say 7am until 9pm, except Sundays when its a joy to travel.

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, bows00 said:

This is music to my ears... I cannot wait to check it out.   Hopefully, can make it my home.  Thanks for sharing.

Without trying to put any damper on your expectations I would advise traveling around a few places before settling down.  Sometimes places do not always meet ones expectations. 

Just outside Dumaguete limits in my opinion are some wonderful spots, especially if one is a nature lover. I spend a lot of times hiking on the foothills of Mt Talinis and find it fantastic, plus love the hot pools and numerous attractions there.

• Like 2