Time To Leave Or Do We Become Chinese

Nephi
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

I agree with Bob that Duterte talking to China makes more sense than headbanging with them.  There may be a mutual agreement that can be reached, that will make it financially beneficial to both countries.  Maybe i am looking through rose coloured glasses.

Nelphi's concerns are somewhat premature I think but I understand that he has them.  China is clearly flexing its muscle in the China Sea.  Philippines objecting to UN is a waste of time,they are a toothless tiger.  In my view they should be disbanded and a stronger format developed by world counties.

Nelphi, maybe you can got to 'chop stick school' to hone your skills.?

Hmmm- I think I'd be inclined to make a spoon out of wood. I'd starve trying to use those over sized tooth picks! One worry for all of us that collect a govt retirement pension is that if there was an invasion of the country, our Social Security etc would be stopped for the duration. I'm not much on eggs with duck in them or stinky fish so I'd have a kind of hard time I think. That's to say nothing of the life sustaining medications that would not be available. Guess someone would hafta dig a hole and drop me in.

Mogo, I'll get a reply to your PM to you later in the day :morning1:...

Nephi

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, Nephi said:

our Social Security etc would be stopped for the duration.

Nephi, I looked at the SS webpage when this came up earlier, I didn't see that China was a nation where a US citizen couldn't draw benefits. I might be wrong and just missed it. But if it is, with the number of US citizens living here (voters, with family who are voters in the states) I feel confident that the policy would change for those living in the Philippines if such a change were to happen.

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Nephi said:

Hmmm- I think I'd be inclined to make a spoon out of wood. I'd starve trying to use those over sized tooth picks! One worry for all of us that collect a govt retirement pension is that if there was an invasion of the country, our Social Security etc would be stopped for the duration. I'm not much on eggs with duck in them or stinky fish so I'd have a kind of hard time I think. That's to say nothing of the life sustaining medications that would not be available. Guess someone would hafta dig a hole and drop me in.

Mogo, I'll get a reply to your PM to you later in the day :morning1:...

Nephi

I'm with you with the chickens and the stinky fish!  Would have to live on Chicken Adobo - love it!

Nephi
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, scott h said:

Nephi, I looked at the SS webpage when this came up earlier, I didn't see that China was a nation where a US citizen couldn't draw benefits. I might be wrong and just missed it. But if it is, with the number of US citizens living here (voters, with family who are voters in the states) I feel confident that the policy would change for those living in the Philippines if such a change were to happen.

Hi Scott,

Yea China is a country where we can still collect SS on a direct deposit basis. But if this country were to be attacked an or invaded by China, that would be a whole different ball game. If an invasion took place all bets are off and diplomatic ties with China would end within hours. We would be in a state of war with China at that point because of the mutual defense treaty.

One of the very first things China would do here would be to seize control of all banks in the country and the accounts therein. For that reason alone, the US would immediately stop/freeze all social security accounts and we would be in a financial mess till things were settled. Not a happy thought but I'm pretty sure that's the way it would play out.

Nephi

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I would never have money direct deposited here to begin with  :tiphat:

• Like 3

Nephi
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

I would never have money direct deposited here to begin with  :tiphat:

Really? My wife, kids, and I have used Metrobank for ages. Even SS is direct deposited there to a dollar account and then transferred to our Peso account. Never a problem-not even once. I have used quite a few banks back in the States over the years but have never had one as good as this has been for us. I do understand tough that some of the smaller banks have problems but SS can not be direct deposited to them.

Nephi

robert k
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Nephi said:

Really? My wife, kids, and I have used Metrobank for ages. Even SS is direct deposited there to a dollar account and then transferred to our Peso account. Never a problem-not even once. I have used quite a few banks back in the States over the years but have never had one as good as this has been for us. I do understand tough that some of the smaller banks have problems but SS can not be direct deposited to them.

Nephi

I like to keep at least a months running expenses on hand, it also acts as backup medical emergency money. I can easily see why some people who aren't comfortable keeping money in their home might also be concerned with even one possible problem. I like Metrobank too and they will be my local bank when next I get a bank account. I will keep an extra months running expenses in the bank. Any problem I can't solve in two months will probably take years.

It took my personal check deposited with PNB 7 weeks to clear once and I closed the account and my peso account. I checked with my US bank, they said there was no problem on their end. 

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Member Sander,  uses Transferwise for his money transfers to Phils. He speaks highly of the service, good rate and low fees. Maybe worth looking at and you get to keep your money in the States, if you have concerns.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I keep some backup pesos here in BPI - but very little.  I use my USAA ATM to withdraw my monthly allowance (great exchange rate - and no fee).  I just prefer to keep my money in the US. It is available anywhere in the world, and allows me to be mobile, if needed.  :tiphat:

• Like 1

afathertobe
Posted
Posted
On 24.5.2016 at 10:05 AM, i am bob said:

With North Korea snubbing China lately, China has started to look for friends again...  it's hard to do when you keep picking on your neighbors...  :)

What few people know is that the 11 dash line became the 9 dash line not too long ago - to respect North Korea's territorial integrity. Not a joke. The Chinese are hypocrites but can be pressured into stuff.