Windows 10, Like It Or Not, I got it!

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

aah the Windows 10 thing ! I have downloaded windows 10 and saved it!

Silly me also set it up on my laptop twice !! but it wont ( yet) allow me to use Auslogics boostspeed which I use to clear all the junk !

And it would not let me logon to my bank !something to do with a security problem !

I will try it again on the Base PC later on after I have saved all I need.

I will not use windows 10 on my laptop until its more reliable.

I am currently running windows 7 with updates turned off and it runs fine with no problem or messages telling me I need to upgrade.

• Like 3

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Just to relate my issues with Windows 10 and it has not been good.  Like JGF I thought 'what options do I have' as 7 is on he way out. I updated several months ago and very soon thereafter, started having problems.  At first just freezing.

From there, lost wifi ability, getting constant blue screen notices that computer had experienced 'severe problems' had to shut down etc.  A mate of mine who is a techno, did some work on it, basically stripped it back and gave 'deep clean'.  All good for about 5 weeks, then bang, back to what was happening before.  Only way to get internet was with ethernet cable but then last week complete shut down.

Down to Tutcom (computer mall), guy there replaced wifi card, did some other stuff (too hard for me) and it went again, for one day, then back to same.  Back I went, he did more stuff, seemed ok, came home and within day, same again.

In frustration he has taken me back to Windows 7 (all a waste of f....g time), he also took out nvidia card and it is working but for how long?  3000bht for nothing.  I wish I had never 'upgraded to 10'. He told me he is getting a lot of people coming to him with the same sort of problems after 'upgrade' so be warned.  Maybe better to buy the programme as Bill is a bit low on funds!

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Microsoft won't admit it but many of their engineers now refer to Windows 10 as Vista Lite...  it looks nice but has built in fatal errors...  And even MS is now admitting Linux is getting big...  They are actually working with ways to bring Linux compatibility to Windows...  rumor has it MS even has been working on a version of Linux...  but just rumor so far...  want to see a pic of the desktop?  Hehe!

Yes, I'm a big supporter of Linux...  if it wasn't for the fact the main thing I use (Scrivener - software package for writers) is much better on the OSX version than the Linux version, my MacBook would have been converted over long ago...  Would I buy another Window machine?  Sure would - if the price was right - and it would be converted over to the latest LTR for Ubuntu immediately!

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I seem to be having some wireless issues.  I am using a USB wireless adapter on my desktop and never had a problem with it before.  Now it has been doing some weird stuff.  A.  Windows says it is connected with internet access, but no internet.  B.  Windows say it is connected with no internet, yet other devices are connected and work fine.  I'll see if I can update the driver for the usb wireless.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I seem to be having some wireless issues.  I am using a USB wireless adapter on my desktop and never had a problem with it before.  Now it has been doing some weird stuff.  A.  Windows says it is connected with internet access, but no internet.  B.  Windows say it is connected with no internet, yet other devices are connected and work fine.  I'll see if I can update the driver for the usb wireless.

I looked up the USB wireless adapter on Amazon where I bought it, and it does not say anything about Windows 10 compatible.  Certified up to 8.  It is almost 4 years old so I will look for a new one.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Boy am I p*ssed at Microsoft.  What a joke!  I can't believe that this is not making the news if there are as many issues as people her are reporting.

1.  Some programs won't work.  Most notable is Windows Live Movie Maker that I used a lot.

2.  My USB wireless adapter has become flaky and that makes my internet go on and off.

3.  The worst now is that my task bar freezes.  I can't access the start menu when it does, so I have to reboot.

I would avoid upgrading if I were you.

• Like 4

MikeSwede
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 05/25/2016 at 3:18 AM, OnMyWay said:

Anyone with windows 7 should stay with it. Turn off automatic updates.

Windows 7, Windows XP, NT4 and WfWG3.11 are the highlights in the life of the Windows series. Windows 10 is not, will never be.

Edited by MikeSwede
  • Like 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

My friend will arrive tomorrow to upgrade my PC to windows 10 :Caught:

Having read this thread, I will make him aware of all your comments.

I don't have much knowledge of computers, but may I suggest the speed may be the cause of some of your troubles with W10

My friend informed me that here in UK the upgrade is free till July, after which it will cost quite a few pounds to upgrade!

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)

Sorry Guys but I have been using Win 8.1 (came on my computer) for almost a year now and I don't see any problems with it .... none what so ever .... I upgraded (definitely not a correct term) to Win 10 for about 2 weeks and promptly went back to 8.1 .... BUT .... I have not installed any windows updates since I went back to 8.1 more 7 months ago .... and guess what ... no problems but then I don't use any of M$'s programs except 8.1 with all programs from M$ deleted except the naked OS .... 

I know people bitched about the charms menu popping up all the time on 8.1 but I don't run my cursor along the far right side of my screen anyway (don't know why someone would) and if I need the charms menu I hit Win + C and it pops up so it is not a problem for me .... and if you want 8.1 to look and act a lot like Win 7 there are tons of tips and tricks to do that on the web ...... you just have to search for them ...... still run Win 7 on my desktop with updates turned off .... same reason ....

I personally feel 8.1 got and continues to get a bad rap .... 10 is much much worse in terms of stability etc. ..... but again JMHO .... 

Here is the first page of a search for making 8.1 more like Win 7 .....

how_to_make_Win_8.1_run_like_Win_7_at_DuckDuckGo_-_2016-05-27_09.38.35.png

Edited by Mike S
  • Like 1