Preferred news source in the Philippines

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted (edited)

I thought I would ask what your first or favorite go-to news source would be when you check out either breaking news (like with the transgender death, Yolanda, etc) or ongoing news & commentaries (like the elections). Which news source seems to be the most accurate to you, the most unbiased, and complete. I know there's the local news in your area (especially regarding politics it can really get one sided because of the demographics as I've seen), but I am looking for what might be considered the accurate true pulse of the nation (or is it pick your poison?).

My wife simply prefers ABS-CBN simply because she can watch on the computer monitor the TV Patrol from her area (Socksargen) rather than reading, but I don't know if it's (ABS-CBN) more reliable and more accurate than say Manila Times, GMA News, or CNN Philippines (or underground news like Rappler or Inquirer.net).

Another point I noticed was that sometimes the exact same words are used on 2 or 3 different news sources when cross checking-like they just copy and paste articles(?)

Edited by Hey Steve
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

I get most of the news via http://www.msn.com/en-ph/.  The articles come from a variety of sources and covers a multitude of topics.  I have not noticed any overall bias in the articles.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Easy answer.... Ask the nearest Filipina. :photo-109:

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, Mike J said:

I get most of the news via http://www.msn.com/en-ph/.

Agreed, my home page is the above and I scan it during the day. Also read the Tribune in the mornings. For TV news I watch CNN Philippines English news.

As to Bias, if I remember correctly the Star editorial board was anti Aquino whereas the Tribune was pro Aquino. Seems like both are anti Dueturte :hystery:

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I generally avoid the news.  Ain't none of it new.  The last time I watched the news... I think Nixon was resigning, and I was 8 years old ha ha

To find a particular story, I kind of like BBC.  Most American news is too biased, and Filipino news has less detail than an AP release.  I do enjoy the AdoboChronicles ha ha  :tiphat:

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

I like CNN Philippines.  In Cebu, SunStar newspaper.

• Like 1

MikeSwede
Posted
Posted

I use the google news site, and pick my way from there.

Al Jazeera is my preferred world news source as they lean more heavily on Asian news.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
Methersgate
Posted
Posted

I like Rappler, and to an extent the Inquirer, and ABS-CBN, but will look at other newspapers too.

I will hold my hand up and admit that I have friends at all three, so I am probably a bit biassed.

The reason why the same stories pop up in the same words in different places is that they come from news agencies - usually Agence France Presse. 

For really serious stuff, go to the Philippine Committee for Investigative Journalism  

• Like 1

Benington
Posted
Posted

For full length articles, from various viewpoints, I recommend the online Manila Times site. Has the occasional expose there too.

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

Preferred News sources for me.

Ok, Channel 10 CNN News-Philippines for Philippine News because most of the time it is in English. My wife prefers her channels ( another reason for 2 TVs)

For World News, I Like Al Jazeera over CNN. CNN, depends on the commentator. 

Mindanao Times for local newspaper and local news.