Visitors at the house-dialogue

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

At first I felt very self conscience, almost as if I was intruding. My wife and her friend would be talking in tagolog, then break off and address me in English. I would feel they were doing it just because they felt sorry for me. And I hated that.

Now frankly I just don't care. The majority of what they talk about has no interest to me. Gossip is not my cuppa. If they have a topic of interest and want my opinion, they will speak English and ask. If not, I am like the others, ill just go in to my aircon room and be comfortable  

• Like 3

Nephi
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, frosty (chris) said:

I am the same as you now Scott, when I first came here it really did annoy me, now when her friends and family come they all talk in filipino, I just slip on a DVD and watch that. If there was anything important discussed I usually hear about when they all have gone home, but my understanding is most of these conversation centre's around family matters, problems and chismis, the only time they talk English is to ask for more food, beer or money, then I go deaf :1927_:.

Love it! Maybe I'll buy fake hearing aids and then if someone asks for anything I'll just tell them sorry--low batt! Just like a cell phone :Yes:...

• Like 4

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, frosty (chris) said:

I am the same as you now Scott, when I first came here it really did annoy me, now when her friends and family come they all talk in filipino, I just slip on a DVD and watch that. If there was anything important discussed I usually hear about when they all have gone home, but my understanding is most of these conversation centre's around family matters, problems and chismis, the only time they talk English is to ask for more food, beer or money, then I go deaf :1927_:.

Theres not much more you can do. Stressing over is pointless as it won't help.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Perhaps Filipinos should be excused for speaking Filipino, after all living in Philippines and all that. Anyway are our Filipino friends and family to speak "Real" English or that European or Down Under slang? It must be very confusing for the average Filipino.:shades:

While visiting Philippines I am strictly kept on a need to know status. If something comes up that I need to know about my wife or a family member will inform me, sometimes.... or not, eventually. 

When the grandchildren are in the room seems everyone is speaking in English....funny that.:89: Anyone else notice that?

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted

Yeah well, the nightly news is given in Tagalog and many of us get through that with the aid of pictures.

So if I reread the whole topic it seems to be if it's a "hen party" or mixed party, Tagalog is the preferred language of the guests.

But if it's a formal sit down dinner and you are the host I guess you have some right to expect English. Or at that level I assume the Filipino's know that. Don't they?

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, chris49 said:

Yeah well, the nightly news is given in Tagalog and many of us get through that with the aid of pictures.

I get through the nightly news by putting my headphones and ignoring it ha ha.  That horrid voice of "TV PATROL!!"  No, thank you :tiphat:

• Like 5

David B
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, davewe said:

in the US Janet must speak English most of the time and looks forward to speaking Visayan with her friends. How can I complain - I can see how happy she is to communicate without a "nose bleed."

I must admit that I am not much of a host but the one rule I learned as a child was that when guests came over you were responsible for making them comfortable. If that means they speak their native language, I am fine with that. 

the reverse is true.  I am the guest and they accommodate me as best as they can. How can I do any less?

OTOH, when Janet's friends come over it gives me the opportunity to go down to my shop for as long as I want without complaint from my wife :)

I'm surprised at the strong feelings that this topic stirs in some.  Even here in the US this happens.  My wife asks me to a dinner party hosted by Fil's.  If there are any US husbands there they usually sit by themselves, not even by talking to each other.  It's sad really.  I like to join the group, just sit at the table with them.  They think I'm cool for doing it and tell my wife so.  I can read these forums or whatever, they don't care but are happy that I'm there.  And they never let my beer or wine run out.  They are a great bunch and I'm glad to know them.  Like Davewe said above, a host has duties.  Fulfill them or don't host.  Those making demands may be the cause of some anti-foreigner sentiment.  Relax, have fun or go home.

• Like 5