Visitors at the house-dialogue

chris49
Posted
Posted

I am already over it JGF, thanks. Unless Dave has something to say.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, bows00 said:

My goal is to learn the language to the point where I can understand the gossip of ladies.

Unfortunately I have found no online source for Illongo or Kinaray-a.  Which is what the natives speak here. They would rather switch to English than speak Tagalog.  My wife barely speaks Illongo... she speaks Kinaray-a.  If they could get one language they could all agree on, maybe I could learn.  My TV speaks Tagalog, my neighbors speak Illongo, my family speaks Kinaray-a... I give up. Ich werde nur Deutsch lernen (I will just learn German).  ha ha :tiphat:

• Like 4

earthdome
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

Unfortunately I have found no online source for Illongo or Kinaray-a.  Which is what the natives speak here. They would rather switch to English than speak Tagalog.  My wife barely speaks Illongo... she speaks Kinaray-a.  If they could get one language they could all agree on, maybe I could learn.  My TV speaks Tagalog, my neighbors speak Illongo, my family speaks Kinaray-a... I give up. Ich werde nur Deutsch lernen (I will just learn German).  ha ha :tiphat:

Same issue for me. If i really want to be able to communicate I would need to learn three filipino languages. Tagalog, Ilocano and the language in the area my wife is from. I have picked up words and phrases here and there. Often I will have an idea of what the topic of discussion is but usually not the specifics.

Being back in the states now I know how much my wife enjoys an opportunity to speak some filipino language with others here. I don't mind at all since I know it helps to keep her happier. Same with making special trips to asian food stores to get some familiar foods for her.

• Like 4

mogo51
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

Confusion is bliss Tim.

mogo51
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

Their version of manners is not the same as ours.  I doubt it ever will be.  We just have to accept it.

I see your point Tim, but the Filipinos I have met in the main, fully understand basic manners.  But must say, my association is nowhere near as long as yours, so I will bow to your greater experience.