Weather and disaster apps - smartphone

MikeSwede
Posted
Posted

I have been looking around on the forum to see if this has been up before, a short review and comment on useful apps that warns and informs us of the forces of nature.

I use three applications; the Project NOAH app and the Flood patrol by DIST-NOAH (Phils only) and the Volcanoes & Earthquakes by VolcanoDiscovery (worldwide)

The first app, Project NOAH, gives me access to rain radars around the country and updates in incoming typhoons, complete with path and forecast. It is slow, not very logic at all, but very very useful.

The second app, Flood patrol, gives information about flooding status, report function (call one in) and historical data (can be quite useful). Ugly interface, heart of gold.

The third app, Volcanoes & Earthquakes, is more of a news service, but can give a clue of increase in seismic activity. Just set filter to +4 magnitude or you will get no rest. Clean, professional interface, easy to get around.

I was in the Sri Lanka tsunami boxing day / poya day 2004, and how I whish there were tools like this around back then.

I am curious to see what tools you are using to keep an eye on theworlds greatest wonders?

• Like 2

MikeSwede
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, PaulB said:

I get a text message every time my wife uses the credit card. Does that count?

I would call that news, similar to the Earthquake app, as the foundation moved already when you recieve the update. And just as the app does, it lets you detect a pattern of increased activity.

Yes, I'd say it counts.

:mocking:

• Like 4

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, PaulB said:

Depends on what the minimum spend to get a txt. If it sends you a text everytime she buys chewing gum or a burger from Micky D's, then its not really an earthquake warning :D. Its same as setting the Volcano and quake watch on 1 magnitude quakes - mostly annoying, but no important info ??.

Edited by Sander Martin
  • Like 2

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 06/11/2016 at 11:04 PM, PaulB said:

In China it is usually the other way round. My friends often get a call "You have just spent X on drink. Come home at once." Sorry Fred Drift.:bonk:On second thoughts it is a warning of approaching heavy weather.

Edited by not so old china hand
Second thought
  • Like 2