One Year Anniversary Here in the Phlippines

virginprune
Posted
Posted

Happy 1st Ron. I had mine on the 1st of this month. I cannot add anymore to what you have eloquently written except to agree with you totally.....here's to many more!

• Like 5

bows00
Posted
Posted

I was hoping this thread would express your experiences in a bit more detail, i.e., were there any situations or circumstances that made you think twice about the move?  And since you mentioned it was not all puppies and rainbows, what are the areas of struggles and how are you coping with the situation?  Or have you just adapted, or learned to accept them?

• Like 2

GPJ
Posted
Posted

Just passed my two year mark this month and I love it.  Only thing I can pass on is that after being here about six months, was the result of my first Philippine hospital physical.  I live in San Pablo City, Laguna population 248,890.  We have five hospitals here and I chose to go to a private hospital for my physical.  They have a dedicated Heart Center and I was sent there for a stress test.  Three days later my doctor told me there is a 50% blockage and I need angioplasty.  She asked me if I still had insurance in the US and I replied yup I have medicare.  So two days later I'm on an airplane to Los Angeles with an appointment set at UCLA Medical Center one of the best in the United States.  They gave me a "Nuclear Stress Test" and said "You are as healthy as a horse, go back to the Philippines".  Wow I said wrong diagnosis guess the medical people in the Philippines are not that great.  My doctor in the US said "Jack a treadmill stress test will usually give a wrong diagnosis about 30% of the time.  I was told for major diagnosis or major events drive the one hour to Manila where there are at least five world class hospitals to choose from that have all the latest and greatest equipment to insure the best diagnosis and treatment.  The moral of the story is pick out which health providers you may need in the future for whatever and make sure that your SO knows where to go and who to see for any situations that come up.  

I love my life here and try to get back to the US for vacation at least once a year.

• Like 5

robert k
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, GPJ said:

Just passed my two year mark this month and I love it.  Only thing I can pass on is that after being here about six months, was the result of my first Philippine hospital physical.  I live in San Pablo City, Laguna population 248,890.  We have five hospitals here and I chose to go to a private hospital for my physical.  They have a dedicated Heart Center and I was sent there for a stress test.  Three days later my doctor told me there is a 50% blockage and I need angioplasty.  She asked me if I still had insurance in the US and I replied yup I have medicare.  So two days later I'm on an airplane to Los Angeles with an appointment set at UCLA Medical Center one of the best in the United States.  They gave me a "Nuclear Stress Test" and said "You are as healthy as a horse, go back to the Philippines".  Wow I said wrong diagnosis guess the medical people in the Philippines are not that great.  My doctor in the US said "Jack a treadmill stress test will usually give a wrong diagnosis about 30% of the time.  I was told for major diagnosis or major events drive the one hour to Manila where there are at least five world class hospitals to choose from that have all the latest and greatest equipment to insure the best diagnosis and treatment.  The moral of the story is pick out which health providers you may need in the future for whatever and make sure that your SO knows where to go and who to see for any situations that come up.  

I love my life here and try to get back to the US for vacation at least once a year.

Glad you are healthy. I'm under retirement age so I would probably be seeking treatment for a major illness at St. Luke's, if I can possibly get there.

RonHenk
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Jake said:

I can also read between the lines -- don't you mean one beer at a time?

Jake, sometimes it's more like 8 or 10 beers at a time. But hey, who's counting? I'm not!

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Congrats Ron, hope you have many more anniversaries.