Schooooooooools Hmmmmmm & Teachers

mogo51
Posted
Posted

I understand your frustrations Jack, it is just the same here.  They declare holidays at their convenience.  If there is a Buddha day on Tuesday, you can bet Monday will be a holiday - just because they can. Do they consider others affected ie teachers, parents, employers, don;t care. Large International companies are leaving here in droves. Thought it might be a chance for Phils but by the sounds of it, maybe not.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, mogo51 said:

I understand your frustrations Jack, it is just the same here.  They declare holidays at their convenience.  If there is a Buddha day on Tuesday, you can bet Monday will be a holiday - just because they can. Do they consider others affected ie teachers, parents, employers, don;t care. Large International companies are leaving here in droves. Thought it might be a chance for Phils but by the sounds of it, maybe not.

Not so much My Frustration but when the Locals start to moan about it I have to sit and Think. If this is Progression then I think the DepEd needs to go back to Skooooooooooool themselves.

• Like 4

MikeSwede
Posted
Posted

I quickly learned that early morning calls or a note at the school is common too, planning and sticking to that plan is not part of life here.

Most families have got someone at home outside the busy cities, short notice changes is not uncommon and not unexpected.

But I would have thought it was different in the busy city area, where parents are working and no extended family available to act baby sitter.

• Like 1

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

Having a Teacher in the Family I must put the Teachers case as well !

she has to work at weekends taking students on trips unpaid as well !

she has to go where and when the college sends her often leaving at 2-3 am in the mornings !

she brings work home ( piles of of it on a regular basis )

At the college she works its more or less a family controlled operation with the Principal and family members in top positions

and there is always those that are better off .

she is at the college mon-fri hoildays or not !!

• Like 3

RonHenk
Posted
Posted

This might be off topic. But since you brought up drivers licenses, I'll mention it. When I got my license last March 2016. I noticed that it expired on my birthday 2018. My birthday is in April. I asked the LTO as I thought a license here was good for 3 years. I was informed that the 10 days from issue to my birthday counted as the first year. Go figure? So maybe the teacher had a good point? Just saying.

Ron

Larry45
Posted
Posted

I'm a little late here, Jack, but it's fiesta month now and it's quite common for a teacher to miss classes.  My wife actually missed today to attend her barangay fiesta.  I would be willing to bet your daughter's teacher was doing the same.  Like everywhere, shit runs downhill and teachers are often called on their day off and expected to 'work' within a few hours, or lose a day's pay.  This happens in the middle of summer also.  So, when you're getting crapped on regularly, you tend to not be as considerate as you should be.  Just another symptom of a toxic culture...I still don't understand why the school year isn't arranged to suit the fiestas, and the traveling that always comes with that celebration.  Better not to ask why.  :89:

• Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)
On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 3:49 AM, MikeSwede said:

I quickly learned that early morning calls or a note at the school is common too, planning and sticking to that plan is not part of life here.

Most families have got someone at home outside the busy cities, short notice changes is not uncommon and not unexpected.

But I would have thought it was different in the busy city area, where parents are working and no extended family available to act baby sitter.

Busy city area, top private school, relying partially on donations, this will not happen.

Locally here, teacher's seminar x 2-3 days is one of the favorites.  Since teachers do report a few weeks before school opening, you wonder why that isn't done in the down time.

Caitlin is only in day care, but teacher was pregnant last year, now classes resume and she's about 8 months. I asked about the plan and got told she's having 3 months maternity leave and no plan up to now.

But to expand the topic a bit further, locally in the province, the very top rich kids have been sent to Manila or Baguio 2nd choice. And for HS there's the National Science HS or one private college which stand out. When I go to BDO, where the staff is really sharp and well educated, I always ask them where they went to HS and where they went to college. Invariably they say UNP, University of the Philippines, or St Paul's a private college also in Vigan. So if that is good for the locals it is also good for me,  But no illusions, they are not highly recognized outside the region. And other local provincial schools will produce a graduate who barely speaks English, so that's what you are dealing with.

Edited by chris49
  • Like 2