Manila Traffic

chris49
Posted
Posted
On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 4:22 PM, Mr. Bobo said:

Thanks for the shortcut, but why do you say that it is a trip that you would not undertake?

Never had a need to go to MOA. There's Tri Noma and SM North right there on EDSA much more accessible. But in our case on our visits to Manila we will get a Sogo Hotel room for 1 night, 24 hours.  I use the MRT-LRT system during the day avoiding rush hour. Link on the newest LRT extension (5 years old) goes direct to Tri Noma with access from the platform.

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, chris49 said:

Never had a need to go to MOA. There's Tri Noma and SM North right there on EDSA much more accessible. But in our case on our visits to Manila we will get a Sogo Hotel room for 1 night, 24 hours.  I use the MRT-LRT system during the day avoiding rush hour. Link on the newest LRT extension (5 years old) goes direct to Tri Noma with access from the platform.

What I do since I fist came to Manila. Sogo across EDSA from Tri Noma. SM is not that hard to get to and my dentists office and the cellphone shop I prefer to use are nearby.

chris49
Posted
Posted
On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 4:25 AM, robert k said:

What I do since I fist came to Manila. Sogo across EDSA from Tri Noma. SM is not that hard to get to and my dentists office and the cellphone shop I prefer to use are nearby.

I used that one when we had a car. Parked underneath. Tri Noma had not yet opened but SM North has always been a hub.  The Sogo at Recto doesn't have parking. But Farinas bus terminal in Sampaloc is a bit closer to Recto.

Cyberzone, at SM North has always been great hub. We do go there also.

One visit to MOA did me fine, it's just a bit to far to justify getting over there.

afathertobe
Posted
Posted

A lot of good ideas here, I think all of those will be required and more. Short term emergency measures, speeding up of infrastructure measures, taking jeepneys off the road on main roads and buying large air-conditioned buses, cable cars and metro lines, whatever it takes. 

Benington
Posted
Posted

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-36748008

Maybe not too bad here after all?

mogo51
Posted
Posted

One of my worst experiences of my visits to Phils is the traffic. As said EDSA is a total nightmare. I have a view that a ban on private vehicles into the Manila (and indeed major cities) would be a good start. This is done in UK successfully. It would mean building outer parking areas, increased bus/train service. But traffic has reached crisis level and must be addressed. This is a major issue for the new Government to address IMO.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Due to the already congested real estate in Manila, and the frequent floods, the only transportation system that I believe would help is the one that the Internet says exists in Kuala Lumpur . . 

Monorail.jpg

Monorail transit.

• Like 2

afathertobe
Posted
Posted

Bangkok has frequent floods too and yet they manage to have a decent and modern subway... there really is no excuse, just about any mass transportation would help, and the best is to have them all at once. 

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted
On 11 July 2016 at 10:15 AM, Dave Hounddriver said:

Due to the already congested real estate in Manila, and the frequent floods, the only transportation system that I believe would help is the one that the Internet says exists in Kuala Lumpur . . 

Monorail.jpg

Monorail transit.

KL monorail is good, but very crowded during rush hour. None rush hour times its my favorite public transport to use. I will just catch a bus from Airport to KL Sentral station and monorail my way from there. KL ones just needed longer trains as sometimes they are tiny. Would be great for Manila as it can be built ontop of existing roads.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
Benington
Posted
Posted

http://news.abs-cbn.com/news/08/11/16/emergency-powers-for-duterte-possible-by-december-poe

No martial law yet, but it looks like emergency powers for the President to solve Manila's traffic are coming. All about quickly building new roads and railways. Nothing so far about volume reduction and other smaller measures. One wonders if they have properly thought out projects ready to start so soon. Also the construction is going to cause more congestion. Given the growth in traffic will we see any difference?