robert k
Posted
Posted

Good for you! I love a success story.:smile:

• Like 3

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Congrats. Thanks for the followup to let us know that things have worked out well for the happy couple.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Nickleback99
Posted
Posted
On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 0:44 AM, davewe said:

A quick and hopefully funny story. My ex got remarried about 3 years after we broke up. I waited. I felt I was not ready and actually believed it was best for the kids if I didn't bring in a new woman into the mix; I had the kids 50%. So, 7 years later I brought Janet over here on a K1. 2 days after she arrived my ex came to pick up the kids. Her routine was the same for years; park out front, phone the kids, and out they went. She never came inside. But that day, while I was still at work, there was a knock on the door. Janet opened it and there was the ex. She introduced herself, waited for the kids to be ready, stared in wondered at Janet, and apparently they both giggled a lot.

Idiot that I am I assumed that after so many years apart and with my ex happily married, she wouldn't care about what I was doing and to whom. Boy was I wrong. A month ago we went to a jazz club with another Fil-Am couple. There was my ex with her hubby. We said hello. They spent the entire night dancing (and dramatically) making sure we saw them. We all cracked up. It's not at all that she is still interested in me; it's that she can't stand that I found someone else, let alone someone like Janet.

Dave, enjoyed reading over your blog and watched the vid just now.  Dumaguette is also on our short list when we move down this coming Fall 17, along w/ Palawan, Zambales and a few other locations as maybes.   We hope to meet you and Janet when we finally make it down to Dumaguette to check it out probably early 2018 depending on how things go.  I'm struggling w/ the move of furniture (family heirlooms over 100 yrs old), while here on Okinawa, since my employer will ship 'em there or back to Seattle for me at retirement, where I could give to my daughter and son; just don't want to part with 'em.  We'll see.  Problem same as with you, is where to send or ship 'em to in PI while renting and looking around for where to live.  Not like they have storage units down there!  Anyway, look forward to hearing more about your move and experience!

• Like 3

Nickleback99
Posted
Posted
On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 1:38 AM, Reboot said:

We're going on a year here in April...a lot of data points. This girl is the real deal. I'm lucky to have found her. I'd like to think she's lucky to have found me. Next week US embassy interview. And then, not long afterwards, I steal this sweet girl from the Philippines. I'm a nice guy however, so I'll return her from time to time.  But who knows? Maybe in a few years I'll end up here for good. I like it here, although a lot of that might just be because I'm here with her. Her sunny presence seems to make the most mundane daily activities pleasant. 

Great news to hear as I've read through the 9 pages here on your adventure, and a happy outcome no less!  Congrats! Nothing like the love of a Filipina, and having been married before to a US raised Filipina and to a Native Filipina now, can say you picked the best route I think.  Best Wishes to you both back home and look forward to reading/hearing more about your future together and a future move back to paradise some day.   Best Regards, James C.

• Like 3

davewe
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Nickleback99 said:

Dave, enjoyed reading over your blog and watched the vid just now.  Dumaguette is also on our short list when we move down this coming Fall 17, along w/ Palawan, Zambales and a few other locations as maybes.   We hope to meet you and Janet when we finally make it down to Dumaguette to check it out probably early 2018 depending on how things go.  I'm struggling w/ the move of furniture (family heirlooms over 100 yrs old), while here on Okinawa, since my employer will ship 'em there or back to Seattle for me at retirement, where I could give to my daughter and son; just don't want to part with 'em.  We'll see.  Problem same as with you, is where to send or ship 'em to in PI while renting and looking around for where to live.  Not like they have storage units down there!  Anyway, look forward to hearing more about your move and experience!

Glad you're enjoying! It's coming close for us - we move this summer.

Our furniture is almost gone - we had no heirlooms. We will be shipping 8 or 9 balikbayan boxes. Amazing how much  can be fit into a box. 

And yes we'd love to meet and hopefully our paths will cross.

• Like 5

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Nickleback99 said:

Not like they have storage units down there! 

cities such as Cebu and Manila do. Maybe other places too. 

• Like 2

Nickleback99
Posted
Posted
On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 1:20 PM, Jollygoodfellow said:

cities such as Cebu and Manila do. Maybe other places too. 

Good to know. I've read other places that getting stuff, furniture, etc Into the PI via container, etc is easy enough, but getting it out and shipped back if one decides to return to wherever is next to impossible.   Any truth to the "getting it out" part?  Thanks.

• Like 2

davewe
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Nickleback99 said:

Good to know. I've read other places that getting stuff, furniture, etc Into the PI via container, etc is easy enough, but getting it out and shipped back if one decides to return to wherever is next to impossible.   Any truth to the "getting it out" part?  Thanks.

When I look at foreigner-owned houses for sale in the Philippines I see that many are furnished. I assume that's because the hassle and expense of shipping it "back home" is too high. Plus bamboo may no go with the decor in their home country:smile:

• Like 5

jpbago
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, davewe said:

When I look at foreigner-owned houses for sale in the Philippines I see that many are furnished. I assume that's because the hassle and expense of shipping it "back home" is too high. Plus bamboo may no go with the decor in their home country:smile:

It is common to buy/sell "package deal" (with furniture) by locals too.

• Like 3