Flash Floods in Cebu

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

What's funny to me is that people still insist on driving or going somewhere, even though there is a flood.  If I lived there I would park my car and stay home until the floods were gone.  Cebu floods a little bit every time there is a heavy rain but those pics look worse than the usual floods.  Hope no-one was hurt.

Yes but if they drove to work or somewhere at say 6.30am and the floods came at 9.am then they might be wanting to get home. I dont know the timing of this but just saying its hard if you are already out and about.

:56da64b51da2f_36_1_681:

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Yes but if they drove to work or somewhere at say 6.30am and the floods came at 9.am then they might be wanting to get home. I dont know the timing of this but just saying its hard if you are already out and about.

:56da64b51da2f_36_1_681:

From the Reports on the Photos it seems Yesterday about 5 pm which may well make your Thinking Right.

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Just for info purposes, here is a Cebu flood prone area map, best to enlarge to see it properly.  http://www.nababaha.com/flood/cebu/cebu.htm

Other locations , http://www.nababaha.com/list.htm

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)

OK! so just to lighten up a little as there seems to be no reports of casualties.

These Diving people always seem to be Ready for a Dive; Flash flood Taking the Piss..jpg :89: But it shows how deep it is EH?

Edited by Jack Peterson
LOl just me sorting.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

CEBU, Philippines - Unusually heavy rain that caused flooding in most areas of Metro Cebu greeted the first day of work of newly-elected government officials yesterday afternoon.

The three-hour downpour, which started around 3 p.m., left thousands stranded in inundated streets as traffic "gridlock" in all major roads were observed even up to 9 p.m. last night.

An unusually loud thunder and lightning signaled the start of the rain, described as heaviest so far since the state weather bureau announced the start of La Niña.

There were no reports of casualty but small vehicles conked out trying to cross flooded streets. Water also entered homes, with a family in Apas, Cebu City needing rescue.

Ten minutes after the rain began, floodwaters rise in downtown Cebu City, the South Road Properties, and at the national highway serving as access to the southern towns of Cebu.

The situation prompted Cebu City Hall to deploy six Kaohsiung buses to ferry stranded passengers from Colon Street to Guadalupe, Colon Street to Bulacao, and Colon Street to SM City at the North Reclamation Area.

Cebu City Disaster Risk Reduction Management Council Executive Director Nagiel Bañacia, also the city's public information officer, said they advised people to stay in their offices until floodwaters subside to avoid accidents.

He said barangay disaster teams also reported evacuating a still undetermined number of families living near rivers and waterways.

In Kamputhaw, Cebu City, some families in congested Sitio Little Pasil were rescued after being trapped by rising floodwaters inside their homes.

Local radio stations likewise reported flooding in major areas of Metro Cebu, particularly the northern towns of Consolacion and Liloan.

Bañacia said that as of 7:30 p.m. last night, they received a report that a minor landslide occurred in upland barangays of Busay and Sapangdaku covering portions of the roads there.

He, however, said the roads were still passable but they will conduct clearing operations this morning.

There were also reports on minor landslides in Sitio Sta. Lucia, Barangay Guadalupe and in Barangay Budlaan but there were no recorded injuries.

"As per monitoring sa C3 (Cebu City Command Center) nato, flood is everywhere labi na sa city's streets. Daghan kaayong stranded kay ting-pauli na gikan sa eskwelahan ug sa trabaho," he said.

In particular, flooding was worst in barangays Apas, Mabolo, Banilad, and the streets of Colon, D. Jakosalem, T. Padilla, M.J. Cuenco, J. de Veyra, among others.

"Ang kinadak-an so far sa atong na-rescue ganina (yesterday afternoon), nagpadala ta og QRT and asked pod ta sa help sa Central Command, ang family sa 5th Street, San Miguel, Apas," Bañacia said. Three family members were rescued.

The Cebu City Disaster Risk Reduction Management Office also conducted forced evacuation on seven children in Mabolo whose parents have refused to leave their homes in the middle of the downpour despite the threat of rising floodwater.

"Advise lang nato sa public nga if dunay heavy rains, just delay your trips going to your houses kay dunay flooding….  Traffic pod kaayo," Bañacia said.

Mayor Tomas Osmeña, on the other hand, said he has asked the CCDRRMO to continue monitoring certain areas of the city.

"Everyone is calling me. I was only mayor yesterday (Thursday noon)," he said in a telephone interview.

In North Road, Mandaue City, floodwater rising up to the knee was reported.

With the weather bureau predicting more rain in the coming days, Mandaue City Mayor Luigi Quisumbing will meet key personnel today so the city could better prepare.

"I am convening the crisis council of Mandaue City tomorrow morning (this morning) to prepare for possible flooding and traffic issues. DPWH (Department of Public Works and Highways) has assured me that they will continue garbage clearing operations and our city engineer will prepare for dredging ops (operations)," he said.

Cebu City Association of Barangay Councils President and Tisa Barangay Captain Phillip Zafra said he requested Osmeña to focus on addressing drainage concerns of all barangays in the city.

"Sa akong nakita karon (last night), nituyok kos syudad, daghan kaayong sapa nga ni-awas. Flooded ang Natalio Bacalso (Avenue) , P. del Rosario (Street), Sikatuna (Street), T. Padilla (Street), ug uban pa," he said.

He asked residents to help the city address the perennial problem of clogged drainage, which contributes to the heavy flooding, by disposing their garbage properly.

But while Minglanilla town south of Cebu City did not report being greatly affected by the heavy downpour, fire struck the municipality last night, with the fire station receiving the alarm at 9:37 p.m.

Fire Officer Manuel Bolo of Minglanilla Fire Station, however, said that as of press time, they could not give details yet as to the extent of the blaze.  

http://www.philstar.com/cebu-news/2016/07/02/1598767/floods-greet-new-metro-cebu-leaders

• Like 1

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

We got the storm also here on Mactan, it absolutely pi$$ed down for at least the first hour, backed off then came again, funny everything here was kinda normal, other than the clowns on the roads that can't drive when it's dry when it rains they just sit in the middle of the road, too bad if you are coming the opposite way. Roads were ok here, a few had some water on them but that happens every time it rains. Kids had fun, they were out on the basket ball court :89:

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

From the Reports on the Photos it seems Yesterday about 5 pm which may well make your Thinking Right.

If is really a "Flash Flood" it may be difficult to get out of the way in time.  Some people might drive out to find a better spot because their normal parking area always floods.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Coming to OLX soon:

For sale:  2016 Chevy Trailblazer, only 2000 km, 800 mm wading depth, excellent door seals, runs perfect, never flooded.  Includes 3 hp hitch mount outboard motor.

Reason for sale:  Moving

tb.jpg

• Like 5

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

A lot of folks in Cebu City are angry as the city had just finished an expensive drainage project recently. They are asking "who got paid?"

• Like 1