Interresting Building Information

jpbago
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, virginprune said:

Here are some interior and exterior shots. I think you will agree that they did a good job considering it was their first time to build in such a way with these materials. 

You have a very nice house. I like the style.

Are the soffits aluminum? I am looking for vented aluminum soffits and a ridge vent but can't find that in Bacolod. Half of my house has marine plywood soffits but much of it has become delaminated. It was painted with exterior latex, maybe enamel would have been better. The other half has hardi flex soffits but much of it has cracked and some parts have broken off. None of the soffits are vented.

• Like 1

virginprune
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, jpbago said:

You have a very nice house. I like the style.

Are the soffits aluminum? I am looking for vented aluminum soffits and a ridge vent but can't find that in Bacolod. Half of my house has marine plywood soffits but much of it has become delaminated. It was painted with exterior latex, maybe enamel would have been better. The other half has hardi flex soffits but much of it has cracked and some parts have broken off. None of the soffits are vented.

Thank you for your comment. 

The roof and the soffits were factory made by a company called Colorsteel. They are metal with the paint baked on and come as separate planks that fit together tongue and groove. They are available plain or with vents and various colours. I chose to have them plain because I have large roof vents front and rear so air flows through the attic space. This, with the clay blocks, keeps the house cool so no need for aircon or even fans inside. We have one large fan and that is for the rear verandah. The house itself is 88sqm, the wrap around verandah is 2m wide front and sides with the rear verandah 3m wide. The soffits covering that area came in at P88,000. 

Some more pics to illustrate.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, virginprune said:

Thank you for your comment. 

The roof and the soffits were factory made by a company called Colorsteel. They are metal with the paint baked on and come as separate planks that fit together tongue and groove. They are available plain or with vents and various colours. I chose to have them plain because I have large roof vents front and rear so air flows through the attic space. This, with the clay blocks, keeps the house cool so no need for aircon or even fans inside. We have one large fan and that is for the rear verandah. The house itself is 88sqm, the wrap around verandah is 2m wide front and sides with the rear verandah 3m wide. The soffits covering that area came in at P88,000. 

Some more pics to illustrate.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Nice house and the those soffits look very nice!  I might like to get those at some time in the future.  Like JPB, our front porch had hardiflex falling apart and I replaced it with marine plywood when we redid that area.  On our back veranda, we have hardiflex that is not looking good.  I could get away with another patch and paint with it, but eventually would like the look of the Colorsteel.

Does Colorsteel make sections to order or do panels have to be trimmed?  What is their warranty?  Do their people do the install or just the normal workers?

• Like 2

intrepid
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, virginprune said:

Here are some interior and exterior shots. I think you will agree that they did a good job considering it was their first time to build in such a way with these materials.

I agree.  Very nice!  Great look.  Are these clay blocks hollow like the concrete blocks?  Special order, and size available there?

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 7/3/2017 at 10:20 PM, robert k said:

It's an optical illusion Ron, if you look at it through the bottom of a beer mug it's perfectly straight.:smile:

Just did and you are correct of course Robert.

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 7/4/2017 at 2:21 AM, virginprune said:

Not strictly true, I agree that most block work is shoddy because it is usually cemented over to hide hideous workmanship. However, my house is built in clay blocks with good joint spacing and neat pointing. It had to be done well because the block work is exposed both inside and out with just clear slate finish painted over for waterproofing. I do admit that I showed them how I wanted it done and was very strict about it. 

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

image.jpeg

Looks great.

• Like 1

virginprune
Posted
Posted
On 4 July 2017 at 1:48 PM, OnMyWay said:

Nice house and the those soffits look very nice!  I might like to get those at some time in the future.  Like JPB, our front porch had hardiflex falling apart and I replaced it with marine plywood when we redid that area.  On our back veranda, we have hardiflex that is not looking good.  I could get away with another patch and paint with it, but eventually would like the look of the Colorsteel.

Does Colorsteel make sections to order or do panels have to be trimmed?  What is their warranty?  Do their people do the install or just the normal workers?

Colorsteel came out to check the roof plan and the guy physically got up on the frame to measure, then came back before delivery to double check. This was for the whole roof including the soffits. They do provide the fitting service but we chose to use our workers who built the roof frame, purlins etc. We got a P20,000 discount for fitting ourselves. All in the roof, soffits, frame and all labour came in at P390,000. Cannot remember the warranty but it should be easy to contact them regarding their terms. Our roof has been up for just over one year now and still looks like new, no paint fading or peeling. The guy opposite us used a tinsmith and they have been out twice so far to touch up the paintwork and the house isn't even finished building yet.

All the roofing pieces, including the soffits come to the sizes required. The only cutting done by us was to fit the corners, see photo to illustrate. 

image.jpeg

• Like 5