Another baby dies.....

Bruce
Posted
Posted

I got word today that Jennilyn's baby had died. They did go to the hospital but too late. Doctor said malnourished. Less than 60 days old. In the US, mom would go to jail. In the Philippines... they take up a collection for the funeral. I kicked in 2,000p which will be enough for a priest and a funeral. The money was collected by the grandmother (45) but she did not want to take all 2,000p at one time because her husband would search her for any money when she got home as he knew she was out collecting for the funeral. Once the basic costs are covered... anything extra goes into drinking and cock fighting. Drinking for the grandmother too......  

Now, before anyone feels too bad for the baby's mother, 17, it is her own running wild and anger directed at the baby for her new responsibilities. Breast feeding simply took too much time and she did not want to be around a crying baby anyway. She started selling herself for small money when she was 13, as did her older sister (2 kids and she is 19). When I say selling herself, I do not mean to anyone paying top peso... nooo, but to the local pedicab drivers, all who watched her grow up... 10p! But when you live in a rural area, and are 13 years old, 10p is money! An entrepreneur she is, as there was a phone company crew from some other area that came to Catbalogan to build a cell tower up on the hill. They built a nipa hut with the local materials and the men stayed there a month putting up the tower and fence and related things. She moved into the hut with the men and did the cooking and washing and sexual duties for a few weeks. She was about 14- 15 then. It stopped when her father was told and embarrassed. Not about her actions, but because his neighbors knew about it.   

She had been to the charity building before looking for a handout. She was always given food and I have given clothes and gifts and a (cheap) cell phone and sim card and daily load at least 4 times on my visits there. Always sold before I left. As I have known her since she was maybe 10, she has refused school and instead is a sneak thief when the sun goes down, looking for open windows and loose things to grab. Why I ought to make a movie, wait, that has been done. Oliver Twist. However in this case, there is no good ending available.

I had a couple of pictures sent to me of the baby and mother about a month ago, but they are too large to post here.

• Sad 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Very sad!

chris49
Posted
Posted

The child had no chance in life.

And there are probably hundred's more cases.  And then there are those that survive, and that's another story.

Going back a bit now. I did talk to girls and not so young ladies around Manila a few years ago. Quite a few who worked in bars and clubs had been given BC pills. Most of them had kids. The knowledge of birth control was stunningly poor. They new next to nothing, despite being sexually active.

• Like 1