Scott McMahon released from Manila prison

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Old55 said:

I had two coworkers come up to me today and shake their heads that I would visit "that s#*@ hole with my family". I love Philippines and Filipinos but stories like this have an effect on peoples attitude 

Why do people let one incident affect them so much. You are crazy because of one incident? I say they are crazy for ignoring the hundreds of thousands (millions) of good experiences. Besides, not like the guy was just standing there and hit with the accusation for no reason, he stirred the hornets nest by getting involved with another couple who had problems and suing her first. (not saying he deserved it, just that he painted a target on his back by doing that. I don't know enough specifics to say whether I would have done the same as he did. I doubt it but don't know)

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, chris49 said:

Mc Mahon is a younger guy.

Most of us are retirees with a visible means of support. I have some sympathy, but he crossed boundaries into an area where foreigners don't usually go.

It has no effect on anyone living here.

There are people pointing the finger, saying they will never come here. Good, we are on a good thing here, the less people who come over with the wrong attitude, the better.

I have to agree with Chris and AlwaysRt.  Of course, it is terrible that this happened and certainly unjustified, but who led him down that road?  I would speculate that his lawyer did.  It sounds like something a lawyer would recommend in the U.S.  Suing for "trauma" of a child in such an incident.  It might be a valid suit in the U.S. but for a foreigner living in the Philippines???  Walk away.  In fact, move far away from that domestic situation.

Several lessons to be learned in that story, for us expats.

Add by edit:  And on the money, I would think that friends and family would be able to raise that quickly.  The money may also be unjustified, but I would think he could get that together quickly if he has friends and family.  Stay or go, terrible situation for his wife and kids.

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, chris49 said:

Most of us are retirees with a visible means of support.

GREAT, GREAT POINT Chris.

As an add on to your point, most of us retirees are "invisible" and choose to remain that way. We are usually not out in the public square competing with the locals and exposing ourselves to the dangers that way. What's the old saying "a nail sticking up usually gets hammered?"

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I'm pointing out my experiences here in the US so now I'm crazy. 

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Old55 said:

I think if you reread it, he was not referring to you or one individual, but to a group of people who go crazy over one incident.  "You" was the group of people who think like the two co-workers.

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Old55 said:

4 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I think if you reread it, he was not referring to you or one individual, but to a group of people who go crazy over one incident.  "You" was the group of people who think like the two co-workers.

OMW is correct as to my meaning. "They" were acting like you were crazy for wanting to come here and I was saying "their" reaction was crazy.