Do most Expats have cars?

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Taxis are the most common 'public transportation' for expats in Philippines.  There are times when that is the very best option.  I think Cebu has quite reasonable taxi transportation, all things considered.  It sounds like taxis are great where you are.  But in places like Dumaguete they do not exist and in places like Manila you have to sell your soul to the devil (perhaps a bit of hyperbole but you get the drift) in order to get a taxi.

God help him if he has to drive in Manila traffic. Maybe Laguna is different. So, maybe he should weigh his options once in Laguna.

• Like 2

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

I spent a month walking and taking trikes to get personal experience before deciding if I wanted my own transportation. I was living in Dumaguete, now Bacong, and ended up buying a Kawasaki Rouser 180.

• Like 3

chris49
Posted
Posted

Btw Roberto.

If I am you I locate my family in a condo in Quezon City, Eastwood area. Many ex pats maintain condo's there and it's totally self contained. Malls, restaurants, supermarkets. Your wife will not need a car, maybe a school bus service. And there are excellent international schools there. Sta Rosa also has the Brent Int School but there are more choices in QC.

Then I would have a car and commute down to Cabuyao early Monday AM and back on Friday PM. That's against the flow of traffic. Then I would maintain a cheap residence near your work or live in the office if that is possible.

• Like 2

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

we have a car but I dont drive I did for the first 6 months but its hell out there !

nobody sticks to the rules ! what rules there are that is !

we use our car for travel to Alabang-Tagatay-Calamba. and our brother drives us for local shopping etc we use the brothers tri-cycle

I hate riding jeepneys ! last time I rode in one was from calamba to Los Banos took over an hour ! only 30 mins in the car !

A car is a must really as in my experience buses are always nearly full ! jeepneys are too slow !

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gratefuled said:

Fourth, I hate the way they drive here. I would have "road rage" every time I went out if I had to drive my own car.

Fifth, a car like anything else that you own needs to be well taken care of. Preventive maintenance is a must or else. What are you going to do if your car gets a flat or is disabled by some other problem? I've not seen a tow truck since I've been here.

Sixth, and just as important. Try to prove it was not your fault if you have an auto accident. Good Luck.

Seventh, like anything else you own. It owns you. You need to take very good care of the things you own. Gas, oil, tires, battery, oil change, brakes, spark plugs, etc... Then, there's the car washing and vacuuming and so on.

Think about it and consider the alternative like I have. 

Grateful: Love ya like a brother man. I hear ya, but let me answer a couple of these for the OP

4th. I look upon the traffic as a challenge, I really enjoy beating the average Filipino driver at his own game.:hystery:.

5th. Flat tires? No problem, we had a flat once, I pulled over and a near by security guard game over, jabbered with my wife a little, next thing I know I was pulling the spare out for him. I stood in the shade and 15 minutes later we were off. 500 (10 bucks) pesos to the guy and we probably over paid. but my hands were clean. Preventive maintenance? Lots of garages around, most look like Tijuana upholstery shops, but don't judge a book etc. Take mine in for oil change, fluid and tire check every 6 months, usually around 1000 pesos, never had a problem (knock on wood). Tow trucks? we have them here, but why sweat it, do like the locals, pay a guy who owns a rope and pull it.

6th. could be a problem but I might be an exception, if it was not my fault I believe the authorities will act correctly, if it is? I am insured to the gills.

7th: Car washes??? Man there is a car wash about every other block here. Wash and vacuum 100 pesos never had a problem, more importantly the wife has never complained.

Bottom line? Owning a car here is just like owning one in the states (this is my opinion only) I just had to learn how to spot garages, car washes, tire centers etc. etc. etc. Oh Insurance? Naturally we have a second or third cousin who coordinates that for us.

• Like 4

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

If we are including motorcycles as vehicles then I'd say almost every expat has a vehicle of some kind.  But if you mean a 4 wheeled vehicle then I agree its a fair percentage.

Some expats use public transportation (including taxis) exclusively when living in cities.  Many have a motorcycle only.  Many have a motorcycle and 4 wheel vehicle.  Many have just a 4 wheel vehicle.  Some of the 4 wheel vehicles are valued at US$ 4 to 8 thousand.  Some of the 4 wheel vehicles are valued at US$20,000 and up.  A rare few have their own boat, plane or helicopter.

So the question becomes, why does it matter what everyone else is doing.  Whatever you want to do is fine.

NOTE:  Filipinas tend to like status and an expensive 4 wheeled vehicle is status, the more expensive the more perceived 'status'.  Its a rare filipina who will be content riding around with a foreigner in a multicab but some accept that.

Are 4 wheel ATV's legal for street use? That would be a great alternative to owning a motorcycle or car.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Happyhorn52 said:

Are 4 wheel ATV's legal for street use?

I couldn't even guess what is legal but anything goes:  Golf carts, motorized skateboards, ATVs, home made cars, motorcycles adapted to 3 wheelers.  Anything goes in Dumaguete.  I doubt if anyone asks if its legal because they don't like to be told NO

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Happyhorn52 said:

Are 4 wheel ATV's legal for street use? That would be a great alternative to owning a motorcycle or car.

I think the legal answer is no. That doesn't mean that nobody has been able to get someone at LTO to register a 4 wheeler as a motorcycle. I've heard of it and I have seen 4 wheeler atvs on the street. Personally I wouldn't want to get caught up in a conspiracy to commit some minor corruption. Moral turpitude may not go well with your visa.

Yamaha makes 3 wheel  scooters which are supposed to be more stable than motorcycles now, Piaggio has for awhile.

I've seen the Can Am 3 wheelers advertised but you would want to keep the speeds down as I hear they have a tendency to make unexpected 90 degree turns if you go in excess of 50-60 kph. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
On 4 August 2016 at 7:11 PM, scott h said:

Grateful: Love ya like a brother man. I hear ya, but let me answer a couple of these for the OP

4th. I look upon the traffic as a challenge, I really enjoy beating the average Filipino driver at his own game.:hystery:.

5th. Flat tires? No problem, we had a flat once, I pulled over and a near by security guard game over, jabbered with my wife a little, next thing I know I was pulling the spare out for him. I stood in the shade and 15 minutes later we were off. 500 (10 bucks) pesos to the guy and we probably over paid. but my hands were clean. Preventive maintenance? Lots of garages around, most look like Tijuana upholstery shops, but don't judge a book etc. Take mine in for oil change, fluid and tire check every 6 months, usually around 1000 pesos, never had a problem (knock on wood). Tow trucks? we have them here, but why sweat it, do like the locals, pay a guy who owns a rope and pull it.

6th. could be a problem but I might be an exception, if it was not my fault I believe the authorities will act correctly, if it is? I am insured to the gills.

7th: Car washes??? Man there is a car wash about every other block here. Wash and vacuum 100 pesos never had a problem, more importantly the wife has never complained.

Bottom line? Owning a car here is just like owning one in the states (this is my opinion only) I just had to learn how to spot garages, car washes, tire centers etc. etc. etc. Oh Insurance? Naturally we have a second or third cousin who coordinates that for us.

Sorry to disagree but far from being like the states and owning a car. Just my opinion for obvious reasons.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
58 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

Sorry to disagree but far from being like the states and owning a car. Just my opinion for obvious reasons.

Some of the reasons may not be obvious to new residents so let me point out some things like:  Who ya gonna call when you break down on a province road after 5 pm?  Do you think you're gonna just walk away and have someone come tow it?  Or maybe you think you can park it and it won't get broken into?  Maybe, but I tended to do my rural driving (when I still had a car) in the morning hours so I had time to find a backyard mechanic if something went wrong.  And lets not forget the potential danger of being stuck in the back woods with a broken down car and no friends nearby.

So if you are going driving around Philippines you need to stick to cities or well traveled roads and have a new, dependable car or mechanical skills, or travel during the mornings so you have afternoons to fix any problems that come up.  Just my opinion for obvious reasons :7500:

PS:  My buddy had a piece of shi . . car that he drove around Cebu until he broke down at an intersection during peak hours.  The traffic cop was there to give him a bunch of crap about getting the car out of the driving lane but there are no tow trucks to call.  Tom ended up getting quite upset until the traffic enforcer called over 4 random guys to push his car to the side of the road and Tom (not JGF) gave them 100 pesos each for their help.  Then he called his regular mechanic (be sure to find one you trust) to come and get the old beast moving so he could get it home.  Its more complicated here.

• Like 3