Do most Expats have cars?

bigpearl
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Howard said:

I have a motorcycle here in metro Manila. Cars tend to just sit in traffic! But it is dangerous to ride here, sometimes bordering on anything goes Anarchy! I've had a lot of close calls because no one pays attention, and right of way is usually decided by which vehicle is bigger. The wife wants a car, and I'm starting to lean towards losing the bike.

Only my/our opinion but while living in metro Manila a car for us was a waste of time and money, no parking in the condo as all the spots were owned, leave it on the street? As another said in another unrelated topic "danger Will Robinson". Bengie rode to work some 3 or 4 kilometres away on his bike but everything else was public transport or walking. I enjoyed the up close and personal squeeze shove aspect of PNR, MRT and LRT train rides, (the many times offer of a sweat rag, TY I have my own not realising I was looking like a rapist on the run, haggling with taxi drivers (my past time) or the 8 Peso ride in the Jeepney. That was Manila and you could always get around very cheaply, much cheaper than paying rego, maintenance, fuel and insurance on a bike or car. 

Living/transport for us in the province (where we chose to live) will be very different, 2 bikes and one car/dual cab ute. 3.7 kilometres to town, 600 metres to the Luna road, no transport for 600 metres unless you have your favourite 3 wheeler prepared to come pick you up.  Yes tricycles but few Jeepnies and no cabs on our main road until you hit the MacArthur highway heading north/south the price we pay for our chosen life style in what we hope will be our little piece of paradise on the beach in a very quiet area comes at a cost, all those mentioned above, when we finally move there, buy our chosen transportation we will have the freedom to go when and where we please and will pay for that no different to Oz though some what cheaper.

For the last 3 odd years coming back to Manila we hire a car, delivered to our hotel and there is our freedom, yes we pay for that but we have unlimited choices once we leave Manila, frustrating yes but traversable and the western sense of security. A car for us in the province is a must, not so in Manila as everything is close and easily commutable very cheaply including taxis. At the end of the day we all need to weigh up the costs versus convenience given individual needs/wants and egos. 

Cheers, Steve.

• Like 4

RBM
Posted
Posted

I find it convenient to have a motor,  one large one  smaller plus a car. Car is handy for shopping, great if doing good construction,  and a God send in wet weather. As a runabout the little serow is perfect. 

We live in a mid sized city without the traffic of larger places and do not find it dangerous provided one is aware and paying attention, at all times. This works for us and we no intention of changing.

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

Bigger is always better in Filipino traffic.

That was my main theory in Saudi but I do not see it as effective here. In Saudi even locals did not want to bump vehicles, here most vehicles you wouldn't be able to tell if there was new damage. If I am driving a Suburban in Saudi, the bigger vehicle driven by the biggest balls wins. If I am the only one worried about my paint it doesn't matter how big a vehicle I am driving as everyone else zips around me. Bigger is just larger area of responsibility and more blind spots for some idiot to zip into and hide in. Motorbike only for me here.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, AlwaysRt said:

Bigger is just larger area of responsibility and more blind spots for some idiot to zip into and hide in.

Money is better in Philippines.  If you drive the most expensive car and do so aggressively, people naturally get out of your way as if you are someone important.  And filipinos who have money really thing they are (someone important).

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

If it was just 2 of us I would stick with a MB.I am seriously thinking of buying a multicab then we can get around easier.Sometimes it can get expensive if the place you want to go to is not on or near the national highway.

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

I agree that a car is not the most useful vehicle in Manila. I don't plan to live in manila. If visiting Manila I would drive in arriving after midnight, park the car in hotel garage and take cabs until I leave at 2-3 AM to go back from whence I came.:smile:

Steve GCC
Posted
Posted

Plan is for a double cab pick up once there, not sure if Ford, Toyota or Mitsubishi as yet.............. when accessorised a little they look sweet.

At present we use the FIL's Isuzu Sportivo which is comfy but basic and has zero power up a hill or overtaking.

Anything short we just jump on a tricycle with me side sadle as 6ft 2' not easy in side car!

Out in Pangasinan where we are tricycle is easy to grab

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
Dr. Shiva
Posted
Posted (edited)

Depend on the living place you will have the issue, that it is quite easy to get to your house with a tricycle. But you will have a big issue if you want to get a ride back to the main place in the town because there are only few tricycles passing near your location in the day. Can be worked around to collect some phone numbers of nice tricycle drivers. 

On my own I do attempt to find a living location near well plied jeepney routes. But hopefully that the jeepneys are not overcrowded when passing the living location. This issue have currently some relatives in Ormoc City after the city did fulfilled a regulation to get rid off with all (public) vehicles not being in a good condition. Now the relatives have huge issues getting their kids and teenagers to school because the remaining jeepneys and tricycles are so (over-)crowded when they passes the house of the relatives so that there is no room available for them to ride. Now a similar regulation is planned for the complete country therefore the nationwide public transport strike today (and probably tomorrow).

For me I prefer public transportation. But depend on the future living location I would probably consider a small car like a multicab as an option. Motorbikes looks fun but very dangerous with that many silly drivers in the Philippines. The only place ever I would consider a motorbike is an island with few traffic like Siquijor or Camiguin.

Edited by Dr. Shiva

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dr. Shiva said:

Depend on the living place you will have the issue, that it is quite easy to get to your house with a tricycle. But you will have a big issue if you want to get a ride back to the main place in the town because there are only few tricycles passing near your location in the day. Can be worked around to collect some phone numbers of nice tricycle drivers. 

On my own I do attempt to find a living location near well plied jeepney routes. But hopefully that the jeepneys are not overcrowded when passing the living location. This issue have currently some relatives in Ormoc City after the city did fulfilled a regulation to get rid off with all (public) vehicles not being in a good condition. Now the relatives have huge issues getting their kids and teenagers to school because the remaining jeepneys and tricycles are so (over-)crowded when they passes the house of the relatives so that there is no room available for them to ride. Now a similar regulation is planned for the complete country therefore the nationwide public transport strike today (and probably tomorrow).

For me I prefer public transportation. But depend on the future living location I would probably consider a small car like a multicab as an option. Motorbikes looks fun but very dangerous with that many silly drivers in the Philippines. The only place ever I would consider a motorbike is an island with few traffic like Siquijor or Camiguin.

I was going to put this in your other topic about Subic, but I will put it here.

If you live in Subic Bay Freeport in the former Navy housing, a car or MB is almost a necessity.  I only know one expat who did not have one and he finally broke down and got at MB recently.  The housing is in the hills overlooking the business areas of the Freeport and Olongapo.  The only transport service for these residential areas is the Windstar vans and expensive taxis.  In the Freeport, jeepneys and trikes are not allowed

I always planned to have a car here because I love to drive and can't imagine not having something to drive.  Here in the freeport I can't take a leisurely drive without worries of crazy trikes and jeepneys.  Sometimes I put my kids in the car when they can't sleep, and take them for 15-20 minute drive.  They always fall asleep quickly.

With a family of 5, it would be hard to not have a car anywhere.  Of course it can be done but most expats with a family will have a car.  Safety is important to me to, with 2 small kids.  In my car, they are in car seats for added safety.  In a few years when I replace my current vehicle, I will buy something with latest safety features for passengers, like side curtain airbags.

I lived in Laguna for 6 months and used public transportation.  I had lung problems and got sick a lot from the terrible pollution.

On 1/31/2017 at 8:28 AM, mogo51 said:

Just to add my thoughts on this Dave, I have had a car here in Thailand for 3 years, a late model, small car and it travelled 8k in 2.5 years.

In 2.5 years of owning my SUV here, and put almost 45k on it!

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

In 2.5 years of owning my SUV here, and put almost 45k on it!

I will be getting some kind of car here soon but I don`t think I will be putting anything like that amount of miles on it.Only time will tell and who knows I might run it into the ground with the new found freedom.