Do most Expats have cars?

Dr. Shiva
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I didn't re-read this entire thread, but I am surprised that more people don't mention the safety issue with trikes.  You have no protection in an accident.  Go on you tube and search Philippines Trike Accidents.  In normal stop and go traffic speeds, jeepneys offer some protection as they are built like tanks.

And the pollution is the worst when riding a trike.  You are down low sucking in all the jeepney exhaust.  My lungs can't take it.

A tricycle is still better safety than a simple motorbike. And it depends on the model of the tricycle how well its safety is.

1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Yes thats about as far as safety goes.  Higher speeds  and its history. 

Jeepneys are not very safe if they get hit from the side. At a frontal or rear hit it looks better.

earthdome
Posted
Posted

In the next few years my wife and I will start splitting our time between the Philippines and the USA. We will be buying both a house and a car. Safety, pollution and the convenience of driving on day trips and to visit the inlaws are our reasons for buying a car.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

A car is convenient if you want to visit places which are off the beaten track.Buses are ok to a certain extent but transport to where the buses don`t go can be a pain.

forget_it
Posted
Posted

I've heard too many stories of scammers running into the back of cars or pretending to be hit and injured. Not having the desire to support a family I don't know for the rest of my life, I've shied away from buying a car. It's inconvenient and the wife gripes every time we go to the store, but it's far cheaper in the long run. If we lived out in the province somewhere, maybe, but I don't want to live out in the sticks either.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, forget_it said:

I don't want to live out in the sticks either.

I have not heard of scammers running into the back of cars, but lots of idiots do it. 

Your point about not wanting to live in the sticks is a good one.  I know a lot of people who live in Cebu without a car.  Its actually cheaper to get around in taxis than to pay the depreciation and maintenance on a car in Cebu.  If you want to get out of the city you can rent a car.  I am sure it works out cheaper in the long run than the cost of buying a car and keeping it running.  But that option ain't available in the sticks.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I have not heard of scammers running into the back of cars, but lots of idiots do it. 

Your point about not wanting to live in the sticks is a good one.  I know a lot of people who live in Cebu without a car.  Its actually cheaper to get around in taxis than to pay the depreciation and maintenance on a car in Cebu.  If you want to get out of the city you can rent a car.  I am sure it works out cheaper in the long run than the cost of buying a car and keeping it running.  But that option ain't available in the sticks.

Very true.

I have a neighbour who basically drives her car to the jeepney station whenever she wants to go to the city. And the rest of the time the car/truck is used to ferry the kids to school (10 min walk on a perfectly safe road) or to fill up the space in the carport. Looks good to the neighbours though!

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Wish I had a car today it`s pouring down.There was enough rain to wash away a bridge last night down by Hypermart.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

bun
Posted
Posted

My advise better use public transportation its much cheaper and easier. Public transportation there can take you anywhere unlike here in US car is a necessity. owning a car there will be pain in the ass specially the road conditions and drivers discipline.Im a Pinoy here living now in US. Im happy seeing foreigners enjoying their stay in my country. hopefullly I can save enough to go back in the Philippines and retire and live  in simple life.

• Like 2
  • Love it 1