Regatta Bay condo, Puerto Princessa, Palawan.

chris49
Posted
Posted

Did I know you in Saudi Arabia 1980's? Playing rugby and going on the hash? Part of your profile fits that, but not the DOB if 1979.

Snowy and Dave is a fit to the guy I knew.

skyskyper
Posted
Posted

If you were asking me: No, I don't play rugby and never gone to a hash :shades:

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

3 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

The restrictions on development is one of the attractions but I'm sure money talks even in environmentally sensitive areas. From what I can ascertain it looks like it will be the San Vincente area where the fights for development will take place as they've got miles of unspoilt beaches and an Airport that's jpart way through completion

Snowy, Just make sure that the condo has a clear title, and is not built in a "salvage zone", or protected ocean front coastline. The Department of Environment and Natural Resources can be real sticklers about this. That way, if you ever wanted to sell your condo in the future, you would have no issues with that.

• Like 3

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

Snowy, Just make sure that the condo has a clear title, and is not built in a "salvage zone", or protected ocean front coastline. The Department of Environment and Natural Resources can be real sticklers about this. That way, if you ever wanted to sell your condo in the future, you would have no issues with that.

Thank you very much Queenie. These are the great things about this forum. Lots of experienced, helpful individuals.

All the best

Davy

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Davy, let me add this. I don't know how much time you have spent here, but if I can suggest that you keep an open mind about condos here. Most of the "inexpensive" condos I have seen are more like what us yanks would call an apartment, think you UK guys call them "flats". Very small, and the floor plans are not that great. Some friends of my wife, when they retired, bought two adjacent units and turned them into one. Another thing to watch out for are hidden fees. Home owners association fees, garbage fees, buying a parking space. Plus I personally am very leery about on going maintenance. We have a few condos here (metro manila) that once built to property was sold to a new group of investors who were more concerned with profit than keeping the elevators running. In fact there is one condo complex with in walking distance of me that it got so bad that they turned them into low income apartments since things go so bad.

Now I am not saying ALL condo complexes are bad, there are some very nice high end ones I have seen. But there are so many housing options open to us that it might be a good idea to explore other options.

Good luck :thumbsup:

chris49
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, skyskyper said:

If you were asking me: No, I don't play rugby and never gone to a hash :shades:

Snowy I was asking.

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, chris49 said:

Did I know you in Saudi Arabia 1980's? Playing rugby and going on the hash? Part of your profile fits that, but not the DOB if 1979.

Snowy and Dave is a fit to the guy I knew.

3 hours ago, chris49 said:

Snowy I was asking.

Afraid not. I spent 24 yrs in the forces travelling the World before settling back in sunny Scotland. I got the name due to my ability to wear T-shirts at minus 20c in Norway. Probably not a good idea retiring to the Philippines lol 

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thanks again Queenie. I've just had an e-mail with the Certificate to Sell and confirmation that the land is for Urban Development. I contacted the Housing and Land Use Regulatory Board and received the above documentation.

Do the builders have to prove they own the site first though? It sounds stupid but in the UK you can apply for planning permission even on your neighbour's land. It can be granted but obviously your neighbour can stop you entering his land so no one in their right mind would do it.

All the best

Davy

Edited by Snowy79

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
49 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

Do the builders have to prove they own the site first though?

"Proving" you own a piece of land in Philippines may be impossible.  The builders may do all the research they like and pay the person they think owns the land in good faith.  They may even get title to the land.  But there are still people who can walk down from the hills and claim the land is theirs due to some obscure law.  Sometimes they win.  I think the best you can hope for is that the builder offers full disclosure of any additional claimants they know about.

• Like 1