Pattaya is Changing

mogo51
Posted
Posted

I have friends from Australia here at the moment, they wanted to see the famous Walking Street, so off we went for a few hours last night.

I have not been there for nearly 4 years and I was rather shocked at the changes I saw.  A lot of bars, nightclubs etc still but mostly new names and obviously owners.

However, it was the demographics of the tourists that really drove the difference home to me.  We are being told of large increases in Chinese/Korean tourists and I found them last night.  Everywhere, large groups of tourists with the ever present flag carried by the tour captain.  Buses everywhere.  Gone are the many hundreds of western tourists that flocked to that area every night.  Yes there were some, but numbers have shrunk considerably.

Maybe they have all moved to the Philippines, I can understand that.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

I have friends from Australia here at the moment, they wanted to see the famous Walking Street, so off we went for a few hours last night.

I have not been there for nearly 4 years and I was rather shocked at the changes I saw.  A lot of bars, nightclubs etc still but mostly new names and obviously owners.

However, it was the demographics of the tourists that really drove the difference home to me.  We are being told of large increases in Chinese/Korean tourists and I found them last night.  Everywhere, large groups of tourists with the ever present flag carried by the tour captain.  Buses everywhere.  Gone are the many hundreds of western tourists that flocked to that area every night.  Yes there were some, but numbers have shrunk considerably.

Maybe they have all moved to the Philippines, I can understand that.

Ron, You may find that these Asian tourists are from Areas that have Stricter controls whereas there, daily Life is maybe a little more relaxed for a holiday (Vacation) As to the Westerner, well, many I have heard from are all concerned about the way things are (Administration wise) so tend to go to other Countries where life is (Shall we say) is a little more Stable, As to the Move to the Philippines, It would certainly seem that is a Distinct possibility :89: As things progress with the new Administration here, time will tell if they again move on:smile:

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, mogo51 said:

We are being told of large increases in Chinese/Korean tourists and I found them last night.

Their numbers have been steadily increasing in Philippines too.  Can we assume that Asians are earning more disposable income these days and able to spend more on tourism?

• Like 2

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted (edited)

Absolutely. I no longer track the figures but a few years ago the number of Chinese traveling abroad each year had reached the 50 million mark. It must be considerably higher now. At that time Chinese tourists were reported as being the highest per capita spenders (for many Chinese the words vacation and shopping are synonyms).

Soon it will not be just the wealthy and middle classes who travel abroad. A decade ago migrant workers in the Beijing building industry were paid about USD 200 a month. Now there are reliable reports of them asking for, and getting, CHY10,000 (USD1,500) a month.

Edited by not so old china hand
correcting typos
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

We are selling multi billion dollar aircraft orders to Asian countries every mont.h

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, mogo51 said:

Gone are the many hundreds of western tourists that flocked to that area every night.  

Well from my understanding it's the low season. Even many bars close for this season so thats my guess why the western tourist are not there. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

skyskyper
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, mogo51 said:

Maybe they have all moved to the Philippines, I can understand that

Not many western tourists in the Philippines either.

skyskyper
Posted
Posted (edited)

Asian tourists comprise the main chunk of visitor arrivals in the Philippines. They come from Korea, China, Japan, India, Taiwan, Malaysia, etc.

Edited by skyskyper

skyskyper
Posted
Posted
Just now, skyskyper said:

Asian tourists comprise the main chunk of visitor arrivals in the Philippines. They come from Korea, China, Japan, India, etc.

These people don't want to see temples.

robert k
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, skyskyper said:

Not many western tourists in the Philippines either.

The BI would beg to differ with you and they are hunting for the ones who have overstayed.

• Like 1