Pattaya is Changing

skyskyper
Posted
Posted
36 minutes ago, robert k said:

The BI would beg to differ with you and they are hunting for the ones who have overstayed.

No need for that. They won't overstay too long anyway... many are about to have their last breath a year or two from now. 

robert k
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, skyskyper said:

No need for that. They won't overstay too long anyway... many are about to have their last breath a year or two from now. 

I have personally speculated on how many overstays are actually deceased and nobody informed the government. But like all outstanding debts, they will stay on the books until they are found, or forever.

chris49
Posted
Posted

I was in Pattaya 1983. It was full of girls. And the gay/ladyboy/transgenders provided the entertainment. The girls, a lot of them looked worn out, not a lot of them outstanding beauties as you might find around Bangkok.

I went again in 1993 and 1996. By 1996 the ladyboy's predominated the street life. The available girls were inside bars and clubs. I suppose they might have been roaming the streets but I didn't notice.

I dropped by in 2003. I found it to be a cheap tourist attraction. I found the place overrun by European's, Russians and other nationalities, not many Aussies or Yanks.  There were Japanese and other Asians, I think predominantly Japanese at that time. Girls yes...gays and transgenders, they were everywhere.

I haven't been back, but have had visits to Patong, Phuket in approximately the same time period. My observations were similar. What was a sleepy beach haven with only a few bars and restaurants became a concrete jungle over a 20 year period. Tourists were European and quite a lot of Arabs.

mogo51
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Their numbers have been steadily increasing in Philippines too.  Can we assume that Asians are earning more disposable income these days and able to spend more on tourism?

I think that is definiely the case Dave.  The hundred, indeed thousands of buses that are here each week full of Asian tourists certainly supports that.

The latest here, is that 'farangs' will be only allowed to buy special SIM cards for their mobiles which include a tracking device so they know where you are at all times - Zig Heil!!!

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 8/11/2016 at 1:34 PM, Jollygoodfellow said:

Well from my understanding it's the low season. Even many bars close for this season so thats my guess why the western tourist are not there. :thumbsup:

JGF this has nothing to do with being the low season.  I have been here 8 years and mix with a number of other western expats, all been here a long time.  All in agreement that the number of westerners/europeans  is diminishing. 

Many know of long term resident expats who have sold up and left Thailand over the past couple of years, since military rule commenced.  

There are two seasons here now ;low season' and 'really low season' when relating to 'farangs' ie. westerners.

There is a huge increase in the numbers of Chinese/Sth Koreans travelling here but like they behave like they do in the GC in Australia,  stay within their own group.  The small business people do not see these tour groups - they go to hotels organised by the group, some owned by them, eat in their restaurants in the main and do very little for the 'small business' economy.

Bars, small restaurants, massage parlours, small hotels never see them.

But that seems to be the same everywhere.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

JGF this has nothing to do with being the low season.  I have been here 8 years and mix with a number of other western expats, all been here a long time.  All in agreement that the number of westerners/europeans  is diminishing. 

Are we talking expats or tourist as I thought we were talking tourist. Expats I think are declining from what I read or watch on youtube but what the Vlogers are saying it's low season and rainy so tourist numbers are low which goes back to your original post of nobody around. :smile:

• Like 1