Social Security Administration relents on new online security after complaints

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted

Facing a backlash, the Social Security Administration apologized Saturday for any inconvenience the new security policy had caused and said it was making the text-message code optional.

Current account holders will once again be able to access their secure account using only their username and password. "We highly recommend the extra security text message option," the agency said in a statement, "but it will not be required."

The agency said it is developing an alternative authentication option in addition to text messaging that it will implement within the next six months.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/government/politics/social-security-administration-relents-on-new-online-security-after-complaints--39ceaf30-74e0-0656-e-390100201.html

• Like 5

earthdome
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, davewe said:

Let me get this straight - an agency of the US Government changed it's policy because people complained? I'm expecting Rod Serling to pop out right about now. 

ROTFLMAO :hystery:

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

:huh-huh: Big brother actually listened to the little guy? wonders will never cease!:wow:

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

This story has been big on the news here. NPR did a long series of reports how it affected old folks who were not tech savvy or on a very limited budget. Many simply do not trust technology with their wealth. Older people maybe smarter than we think. :shades:

My 93 year old Father lives with us still takes care of his own finances. Writes a check or goes to the bank no exceptions.

• Like 4