Habagat (Southwest Monsoon)

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I posted in the Subic (no rain) thread about all the rain we are getting now.  Honestly, in my life I don't think I have seen heavy rain for this long and this steady.  I lived in South Florida and we got it good a few times, but always with some sunshine.  Our yard guy came on the 6th and I think that is the last time we saw the sun.  This is our 4th rainy season in Subic and there was never anything like this.  Luckily we don't have any flooding in the freeport and from what I know, Olongapo has no major flooding.  There have been a lot of flood control projects over the past 2 years so I guess they are paying off.

I took a drive down the hill, just to get out and see what was going on.  It seems like we get more rain up on the hill lately because every time I go down, it stops down there for a while.  Here is a short video example of what we have had for 10 days, taken about an hour ago.

https://goo.gl/photos/N6n3FnZyn5TcD5JZ6

The next 10 days are not much better:

Fullscreen capture 8162016 43240 PM.jpg

Here is a picture of San Fernando, Pampanga.  I need to go to the Chevy dealer about 1 block to the left, and we need to go to DFA there too.  Not going to happen this week.

Pampanga.jpg

Credit for that picture to the CLTV36 Facebook page, and they have a lot more here:

https://www.facebook.com/cltv36official/

• Like 4

intrepid
Posted
Posted

So Don, can we say the drought is over now?☔️?

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

On what pleasant memories Don!  I do remember visiting officer's country which is  your neighborhood of Kalayaan. The Navy's base shuttle bus driver was like a Filipino Evel Knievel, screaming down that Argonaut roadway.  I'm glad to see it is well maintained.  

I am somewhat familiar with Habagat wind patterns, usually coming from the southwest.  Great sailing conditions as opposed to Amihan season.  I also remember my favorite river of Olongapo getting its' annual flush where I could see more coins through the less murky water.  It was a lot of fun coin diving......he, he.

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jake said:

bus driver was like a Filipino Evel Knievel, screaming down that Argonaut roadway.  I'm glad to see it is well maintained.  

Yeah, there have been accidents on those slick curves.  They put new steel barriers in front of the old post and wire barriers, and someone already crunched one a week or two ago.

I think I posted these before in 2014.  This is the same area where I took the video today.  I have no idea how they managed this and I think there was no rain.

Is it legal to take my own post off-topic?

P1180991.JPG

P1180992.JPG

P1180993.JPG

P1180994.JPG

P1180995.JPG

P1180996.JPG

P1180997.JPG

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I can understand how you feel with all that rain...  It rained in Davao about a week ago for 5 minutes...  Most I've seen in a long time..!  Lol!

• Like 3

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
On 8/16/2016 at 10:16 PM, OnMyWay said:

Yeah, there have been accidents on those slick curves.  They put new steel barriers in front of the old post and wire barriers, and someone already crunched one a week or two ago.

I think I posted these before in 2014.  This is the same area where I took the video today.  I have no idea how they managed this and I think there was no rain.

Is it legal to take my own post off-topic?

P1180991.JPG

P1180992.JPG

P1180993.JPG

P1180994.JPG

P1180995.JPG

P1180996.JPG

P1180997.JPG

Those roads look amazing though, compared to many down our way..

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
55 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

Those roads look amazing though, compared to many down our way..

Originally designed and built by the U.S. Navy, so they got a good start!

• Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted

And on the 7th day (in Ilocos Sur) the rains stopped.

And the snails retreated to their natural habitat in the rice field.

I rode a bike had a large coffee with refill at Mc Donalds.

My 2 yo son attempted to hit me with a broom. While sweeping the house.

Being a typical day in the Philippines nothing much else happened. A few more Drug Lords bit the dust, but as I said, nothing much unusual happened.

Will check Pagasa now.

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Yesterday, Wednesday, was supposed to be 30 mm and school was cancelled, but it ended up as the mildest day in a long time.  The sun even peeked out.  About the same today.

robert k
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, chris49 said:

And on the 7th day (in Ilocos Sur) the rains stopped.

And the snails retreated to their natural habitat in the rice field.

I rode a bike had a large coffee with refill at Mc Donalds.

My 2 yo son attempted to hit me with a broom. While sweeping the house.

Being a typical day in the Philippines nothing much else happened. A few more Drug Lords bit the dust, but as I said, nothing much unusual happened.

Will check Pagasa now.

Sounds like a good day all in all.:smile:

• Like 1