Filipino movies you have enjoyed here in the Philippines.

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

As an expat, you may or may not have been dragged along to watch a Filipino movie with you SO. Even tho you did not understand the language, you may have still enjoyed the movie.

There have been just 2 that I enjoyed. Maybe you have your favorites. First, I enjoyed EL PRESIDENTE which was about General and later President Aguinaldo. He was a true patriot and a hero in my opinion.

The other movie was NO OTHER WOMAN, with Anne Curtis. I didn't understand the language but enjoyed the movie and the acting. As we were leaving I noticed a lot of watery eyes in the women and a few of the men.

What about you?  Any Filipino movie that you can recommend?

My wife's favorite actress is Vilma Santos.

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I don't watch Filipino movies at the theater. I will go to a different movie or just shop around the mall while she is at a movie (usually with a cousin).  I have seen enough on TV to know that I am not the target demographic ha ha 

Her favorite actor is, of course, Coco Martin.  All the kids seem to love him.  :tiphat:

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I don't watch Filipino movies in the theatre either.  I prefer to download them with English subtitles so I know what is going on.  My favorite is "Lilet never happened" Here is the trailer

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I have never been to a Filipino movie at the theater here, but I get a kick out of the old Dolphy movies on TV, even though they are not in English.  I wonder if I could find them with sub-titles.  I like slapstick and many of his movies have that old "Lucille Ball" feel to them, where a lot of the comedy is visual.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Dolphy is a national treasure. I have been in the same room while well known popular Filipino movies played and in each case found them unwatchable.

if you consider the talented people living there it's strange the quality is so poor.

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I don't watch Filipino movies in the theatre either.  I prefer to download them with English subtitles so I know what is going on.  My favorite is "Lilet never happened" Here is the trailer

Thanks, I'll look for it on DVD. 

frozenmystic28
Posted
Posted

Not an expat but lemme share some of my list

Old Lino Brocka films

Manila in the claws of light
Weighed but found wanting
Three, two, one
whore of a mother

and indie films such as

Thy womb
Honor thy father
On the job

• Like 4

robert k
Posted
Posted

I have only watched films made in the Philippines in the US, mostly the Roger Corman masterpieces!

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Only whats showing in the barbershop:hystery: 

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I took the One to see "Everyday, I Love You" at the theater...  And really enjoyed it...  It seems a lot of the new films have enough English mixed in that it's easy to keep up...  I watched it online again about a month ago but this time with sub-titles and, yes, it was what I thought the first time...  So, for all the young Filipinas who want a night with the Giant, the theater is a likely destination...  :popcorn::mocking:

(Giant = I've been playing the single life lately and have ended up dating a series of too-young Filipinas - all from the same town 4 hours away and all friends or relatives - and the amazing thing is they are all beautiful AND UNDER 5 FT TALL...  One called me the Giant one day and now they all call me that...  Gee..  I'm a hair under 6 ft...  I wonder why they call me that...?).  :whistling::shades::mocking:

• Like 1