American CPA 25+ yrs experience looking for job

chris49
Posted
Posted

Eric.

It is a hard bridge from anywhere in your 50's to reach SS age which does currently kick in at 62. I went that road and I started with a substantial amount of cash. But it almost ran out.

Upon reaching 62 you may draw benefits for dependent children under 18. How about your wife? Does she have enough SS Credits to apply for her pension? Later?

Again the reality. There are no such jobs here in the Philippines. There may be international hire jobs in the area of IT Telecommunications or 5 Star Hotel Chef. Recruited from the home country. And there are not that many.

In your case no. Cut all the cinnamon from above. There are no such jobs in your field.

When you see that clearly maybe you can make an alternative plan.

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Sorry about your predicament Eric and also for the way you have read into some of the replies. This site is full of very experienced people and it's moderated sensibly unlike some forums. It's easy to get off on the wrong foot when advice is given as some have been here a long time and know the Philippines inside out. Naturally they've seen everything many times over and as such just accept things as a daily occurrence. maybe to an extend that it surprises them that people are asking some for the question that they do. 

In short wages in the Philippines are extremely poor. Think of a few pounds/dollars per day. A lot think all foreigners are rich and as such will approach you with great business ideas where you give them money and they spend it all. A foreigner has next to no rights here. Can't own a business, can't have land in his own name unless shared through marriage, can only get a work permit if the job can't be done by a Filipino or is working for a Western company etc.  

If you get your low paid job you've then got the perks of being a foreigner and paying most of your wages out on visa extensions, medical and white skin tax.

The Filipinos are generally very nice, decent people but it only takes one in a family to clean you out unless you've got a set income every month.  

Realistically your only option is to head back to the states and rebuild your nest egg.

• Like 2

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted

I'm a retired US Accountant myself.  Finding a finance position in the Philippines utilizing your US experience and paying a western wage will probably be impossible but that doesn't mean you can't find a job. There are job search sites specializing in filling Philippines positions  and if you lower your salary expectations you might be able to find something that pays a good wage.  Google is you friend and good luck!

http://www.jobstreet.com.ph/en/job-search/accountant-jobs/

• Like 2

davewe
Posted
Posted

I am just spit-balling here so forgive me if I don't know what I am talking about, though it's never stopped me before :smile:

But if I had decades experience as an American CPA, while I agree that there are few if any jobs available in the Philippines, why not do work online. Is it possible to do tax preparation or small business accounting online? Not only are there many expats in the Philippines but throughout Asia. 

So while a job-job is not available, it is still possible to make money using your skill set. Good luck!

• Like 1

Ericw
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, davewe said:

I am just spit-balling here so forgive me if I don't know what I am talking about, though it's never stopped me before :smile:

But if I had decades experience as an American CPA, while I agree that there are few if any jobs available in the Philippines, why not do work online. Is it possible to do tax preparation or small business accounting online? Not only are there many expats in the Philippines but throughout Asia. 

So while a job-job is not available, it is still possible to make money using your skill set. Good luck!

thank you.  excellent advise.  I think there can be potential on the internet.   Yes, taxes and small business work and consulting certainly could be done online.    Thank you.

• Like 1

roddavis
Posted
Posted

Become an e-consultant online. Look for jobs on upwork.com. Its free to register, and query online jobs of all types of work. They also handle the payment and tax situation for the registered user. These jobs are worldwide for an online consultant. I would think you could find many jobs with your talent, and if your good, the buyer may make you a permanent job to do at your leisure.:5714137783ea0_1(172):

• Like 1

Ericw
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, roddavis said:

Become an e-consultant online. Look for jobs on upwork.com. Its free to register, and query online jobs of all types of work. They also handle the payment and tax situation for the registered user. These jobs are worldwide for an online consultant. I would think you could find many jobs with your talent, and if your good, the buyer may make you a permanent job to do at your leisure.:5714137783ea0_1(172):

I will certainly check this out!   I had never heard of this site.    Thank you!