Well That was Funny!

PaulB
Posted
Posted

Dear Members

I thought I would share some of my experiences from my last trip to the Philippines which ended on the 19th Sept 2016.

There were certainly lessons to learn and perhaps the Administrators would think this post is better placed in a different category but for me, in hindsight, it is quite funny.

So as some of you may know my wife and I travelled back to the Philippines, for a week, to open a resto and "Fancy iced coffee" Stall. The openings went well and as of today, having returned to Abu Dhabi, they continue to do well.

The funny stuff starts when we returned to Manila to complete my 13a Visa Process having had it approved and inserted into my passport by the Philippines Embassy in Abu Dhabi.

It would seem that the medical and papers submitted in Abu Dhabi had no relevance on completing the process in The Philippines. We arrived at Intramurus Immigration at 6am ready for opening at 7am. All papers in hand. On opening we were informed I needed to go to the Bureau of Quarantine to get their stamp in my passport so off we go. They open at 8am! We waited and on opening I was told I needed to do blood, urine, stool and X-rays. I had already provided these in Abu Dhabi but rather than argue off we go on the trip around toilets to obtain bodily fluids etc. to keep them happy. Unfortunately no x-ray possible on site to off to Manila Doctors Hospital to get that done.

Once at the Hospital we pay the express fee and get the x-ray after 3 hours, back then to Bureau of Quarantine and we get the stamp required. Off back to immigration where we complete the paperwork, fees and then queue to have finger prints and picture taken. This we completed after a couple of hours and then I was told 3 weeks before you get your card but if you need to leave you can assign a power of attorney for someone to collect. With smile on my face, knowing I had done what I could, we left and decided to celebrate with a night our.

Next day we get the power of attorney done and life was good!!

We spend the rest of our time enjoying Manila and then on the Friday evening off to the airport to check in for our flight back to Abu Dhabi after a very productive trip. Now it gets funny!!!

On arrival at check in they check my wife's UAE visa and lo and behold whilst we were in the Philippines it had expired so she can't travel back until I get this sorted. We decided she could stay in Manila a few more days and I will fly back and fix the visa. I put the wife in the taxi and said farewell wondering who was going to do my laundry and how I could survive on take aways whilst she was away!!!  :hystery:

After she left the terminal I went on through to immigration myself and presented my well stamped passport to the officer. He asked me for my Icard and I told him it would be 3 weeks and i had given POA for someone to collect on my behalf. He smiled at me and then said so can I see your Waiver!!!! Waiver?? I said! What waiver? I was then told without the card you need an emergency waiver letter from the Commissioner of Immigration to leave. I asked him if I could get this now and he said Maybe Monday!!!!! So after my wife not being able to travel neither was I!! Oh well worse places to be stuck! :crack-up:

To try and cut the story short we checked into The Manila Hotel for the weekend, rebooked flights, got my wife a visit visa to return to Abu Dhabi and I went to Immigration on Monday morning and managed to beg, cry and negotiate my way into getting a waiver letter that day so I could also return to Abu Dhabi.

2 days later my card was ready and duly collected and now on its way to me.

A pretty stressful weekend and if there is a moral to the story it would be always check your visa dates and know what you are doing. If I where to do this again I would have waited until I had retired and was in the Philippines rather than doing this 3 years before i go there. I also know of the annual reporting I must now do.

I forward for any feedback and lessons learned. Good thing was we remained calm and people genuinely wanted to help and I got a weekend in Manila!!  :nudie:

Paul 

• Like 5

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the Philippines.  Its more fun here.  But since you handled the bureaucracy without breaking a sweat then you will surely do well with the business as what you went through is standard procedure for getting anything done here.

:hohoho_smiley:

• Like 5

robert k
Posted
Posted

If you need anything from anyone else, allow more time for slippage. This doesn't apply to just the Philippines.

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted

I always wondered why you went for the 13 a rather than the Balikbayan which you are eligible for.

The 13 a allows free entry but they sting you for each exit which negates some of it. But ok there are certain advantages to the 13 a. Not the ones you describe.

Also the 13 a requires a lengthy renewal after the first 12 months probationary. And possible glitches such as the one you just faced. Smooth sailing after that.

• Like 1

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

Great attitude!  Just reading about your ordeal got me all worked up!  I hope that when it's my turn to go through hoops like that, I will be just as gracious.

• Like 3

intrepid
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, chris49 said:

Also the 13 a requires a lengthy renewal after the first 12 months probationary. And possible glitches such as the one you just faced. Smooth sailing after that.

I'm pretty sure that is not required when you obtain the 13a prior to arrival.  That is one of those advantages.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, intrepid said:

I'm pretty sure that is not required when you obtain the 13a prior to arrival.  That is one of those advantages

Yes, as far as I can remember, you are right a 13a Obtained outside the PI is permanent First time, the only problem Now is for the OP to get his Reporting done in the Time Frame. in 2010 I did not and had it withdrawn just got my new permanent  one this Year again.

Morning All:morning1:

• Like 3

RBM
Posted
Posted

Love the way the OP handled his situation, I congratulate you. Many could read and learn from the calmness and acceptance of how it is here. The fact that it did not appear to significantly effect your attitude or vacation mood  plus  everything taken in stride is a lesson for us all. 

• Like 4

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

I remember once heading to the Philippines from the US for vacation, and while in transit, was informed that my American passport was due to expire in less than six months. They told me in LAX that most likely they would not allow me to enter the Philippines without it getting renewed. Upon arriving in Hong Kong airport we rushed to take a taxi and I said "To the US Embassy"! Of course it was a working holiday for embassy workers, but we could come back in the afternoon and possibly some workers would be back from meetings. Luckily I was able to get it renewed then, and although a day was killed, it wasn't too crazy. The next day we headed to Cebu without incident.

Applying here for the temporary then permanent visa was frustrating and nerve wracking at times, but at least it went smoothly overall. Glad it's accomplished and renewals are pretty fast and easy.

I agree that you seemed to keep your cool during your issues, so you're equipped now to deal with Philippine bureaucracy. Hopefully it will be smooth sailing for you from now on.:smile:

• Like 2

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, chris49 said:

I always wondered why you went for the 13 a rather than the Balikbayan which you are eligible for.

The 13 a allows free entry but they sting you for each exit which negates some of it. But ok there are certain advantages to the 13 a. Not the ones you describe.

Luckily for US citizens, it doesn't take very long to renew. You just apply three months before it expires, and after waiting a couple of months, you're given an interview and then you get your permanent 13a visa.

The funny part was when I applied to get my permanent Alien I-card after the one year probationary one. After waiting a couple of months to hear if it had been approved/processed, and a few fruitless attempts to get it, they told me that it had been approved/made, but their computer was saying that it had been shipped from Manila by boat, and that's why it was taking so long. I was surprised, but then again I wasn't.:89: At least I have it now so that's good.:smile:

• Like 3