Building a Small Lobster Hatchery here in the Philippines

jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted

Three years organizing facts and information, writing and revising script, creating drawings and diagrams, seeking and collecting photos, learning software and doing voiceovers; then 845 slides and an hour and 27 minutes flapping my later, and the first video of this 3-Part lobster tutorial is finally in the can and ready to view. Now I start on video two. Subscribe so you will be informed when the next video of this series is completed and uploaded, and share with others.

Also may I give a warm Happy New Years from this little island paradise on the edge of a Surigao mangrove in the land of ''the Never-ending Summer''. Ahh it is a rough life, but someone has to endure it.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Anselm
Posted
Posted

I didn't realise there were no lobster hatcheries at all in the Philippines until I read this - very eye opening. I really like what you're doing!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted

Well I finally finished the second video of the 3-part Youtube video series ‘Tropical Spiny Rock Lobster 101 - species Panulirus 'ornatus' - Video (2of3)’ which I started work on New Year’s day. It is almost an hour and forty-five minutes long so it is about twenty minutes longer than the first video of this series. The issue was a lack of posted photos on the internet which related on the subjects discussed, which required my digging through my own personal archive of photos and quite a bit of artwork needing to be created. But I am satisfied with the end results and it feels good to have this second video of the series finally uploaded. I have a few smaller video projects that I have had on hold, one is a couple of videos of the lobsters in the grow-out nets which follows what was done through a local disease outbreak; and the other project is a collaboration with a local Filipino lobster buyer/shipper/transporter who’s skills and technique is extremely successful, and we will video and discuss all the steps needed to properly prepare and ship lobster at distances in excess of 10 hours. Rio has shipped lobster as far as the Middle East with successes of 100% survival rates of delivered stock. He has decades if practice hands-on experiences in lobster aquaculture and is a walking ‘treasure trove’ of knowledge which he wants to share.      

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5Im52lkdwo

jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted

Well I finally finished the second video of the 3-part Youtube video series ‘Tropical Spiny Rock Lobster 101 - species Panulirus 'ornatus' - Video (2of3)’ which I started work on New Year’s day. It is almost an hour and forty-five minutes long so it is about twenty minutes longer than the first video of this series. The issue was a lack of posted photos on the internet which related on the subjects discussed, which required my digging through my own personal archive of photos and quite a bit of artwork needing to be created. But I am satisfied with the end results and it feels good to have this second video of the series finally uploaded. I have a few smaller video projects that I have had on hold, one is a couple of videos of the lobsters in the grow-out nets which follows what was done through a local disease outbreak; and the other project is a collaboration with a local Filipino lobster buyer/shipper/transporter who’s skills and technique is extremely successful, and we will video and discuss all the steps needed to properly prepare and ship lobster at distances in excess of 10 hours. Rio has shipped lobster as far as the Middle East with successes of 100% survival rates of delivered stock. He has decades if practice hands-on experiences in lobster aquaculture and is a walking ‘treasure trove’ of knowledge which he wants to share.      

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5Im52lkdwo

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, jamesmusslewhite said:

Well I finally finished

James I wish you had Finished this is the 4th Time it has come up, maybe you need the clear your Browser and Caches :wink:

:whistling: Shall I do a Repost in case you miss one :hystery: ( PUlling your leg mate but you have got  a wee problem with Double + more postings :thumbsup:

• Haha 1

jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

James I wish you had Finished this is the 4th Time it has come up, maybe you need the clear your Browser and Caches :wink:

:whistling: Shall I do a Repost in case you miss one :hystery: ( PUlling your leg mate but you have got  a wee problem with Double + more postings :thumbsup:

I also have three different threads that relate to different distinct subjects on lobster aquaculture. One is about a prototype lobster hatchery to be used to raise lobster from egg to Algal-juvenile, which will be sold to lobster growers. The second is how to make different type traps to use for live-catch early stage seedstock, to either sell to lobster growers or for one's own 'grow-out' nets. The third thread discussed the first floating bamboo 'grow-out' net platform I built at this facility which I am primarily using for personal research to closely study every aspect of lobster 'grow-out' aquaculture from a Clear-puerulus to 500gram Sub-adult, 1,000gram Adult and 1,500 gram Mature Adult. To my knowledge no such information is actually available on the internet. Each thread is different covering different aspects of the same industry. I have them separate for a simple reason, this is to keep the information topic specific and uncluttered and easy to follow.

Spent years collecting the information and finalizing the outline and final script and once I learned the needed software I was able to start on the voiceover and art work last year. I pulled it all together and finished the first video (hour thirty 90 minutes) on New Years Eve, and posted the video on January 1of this year.

I chose to post a link to each of the threads because the video contained relevant information relating to each of those forum threads. That perhaps anyone interested to one of those specific treads would have the opportunity to view the video rather than merely a 1-in-three chance of ever having the choice to view the video. You only see them in succession because they are grouped together on top of the board now, but threads quickly lower and drop off the board. In a day or two the threads will only be seen by locking through the forum topics are through searches. Perhaps a member is only attracted by one of the threads and the video link is not posted  on that thread? Then they are not given the chance to see and view the video? That is not particularly fair to members. It is sort of a catch-22 situation. I only saw the solution to being to post a link on each thread, where others obviously others may believe differently. 

This is why I posted this new second video also on all three threads. And I will more than likely do the same later this year once I finish the 3rd and final video series, This is so later when newer readers are followers of the threads, then they to will have the three videos properly linked. Now if an admin or mod desired to modify my threads and remove the video links, (like last time) that is up to them. But I also have more than just one ongoing video series being posted on the threads. Example is the 'Life in the Nets' which has a similar video cover art, but the titles are clearly different. Hope that explains my redundant posts. :dance:

Edited by jamesmusslewhite
  • I'm Confused 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted (edited)

Is there really a market for l:7500:obster in the Phills? When I lived in the states I used to get lobster on my ex-wife's birthday. She thought it was a big deal. The price is outrageous for the amount of meat you get. Then dip it in butter. Anything tastes good with butter. I'm not a fan of lobster. I'd rather have a good corn fed rib eye steak at less than half the price. When we want to get fancy here we just buy the prawns, de-vein them, and fry them up in a batter.

Edited by Arizona Kid
mispell
  • Like 1

jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 5/19/2019 at 4:52 PM, Arizona Kid said:

Is there really a market for l:7500:obster in the Phills? When I lived in the states I used to get lobster on my ex-wife's birthday. She thought it was a big deal. The price is outrageous for the amount of meat you get. Then dip it in butter. Anything tastes good with butter. I'm not a fan of lobster. I'd rather have a good corn fed rib eye steak at less than half the price. When we want to get fancy here we just buy the prawns, de-vein them, and fry them up in a batter.

For the lobster growers involved in the lobster 'grow-out' aquacultural industry it is a boom business showing a 5% annual growth and net profits averaging 84%. Now as to Philippine annual local sales figures of lobster by fish markets or restaurants I really do not know that answer. Most lobster farmers like myself raise stock solely for foreign export, and sell our product to buyer/exporters, so we are not targeting the local market.

If one is willing to dedicate efforts and resources to properly setup and operate a lobster aquacultural 'grow-out' operation, they can expect to generate solid returns. Now how much return solely depends on the location in relationship to both the supply of seedstock (fingerlings) and the lobster buyers as well as the volume of seedstock one desires to raise within their own 'grow-out' nets. And the industry has many facets within the trade which offers lucrative venture opportunities, if one was so inclined and located where they could setup such an operation.

I had once thought of building a large floating platform which housed as many as a dozen 'grow-out' nets. I had envisioned expats interested in raising crops but were not in locations or situated (personal and supply-line)s could lease (three crops) to successfully raise lobsters. An expat would basically lease net enclosure(s) and when the stock reached market weight would split the net profits. This (net profit split) payment at the (point of sell) agreement is common practice within the industry. The investor is to supply facility, food for lobster and 1-sack of rice monthly for the worker. The worker provides his labor for the care and feeding of stock, general maintenance and care of the net, ensure proper husbandry practices and protocols within the enclosure is maintained.

I certainly have the ability and skill-set to fabricate the platform and nets, secure the needed seedlings, oversee adequate labor and day-to-day operations. I know the proper food types and have the ability to secure them,  as well as the proper feeding times and ratios. I know the proper husbandry protocols and how to implement them. It is the unknown variable that I can not trust, which is the honesty and commitment to follow through of expats that would be involved. A dozen expats cooped together could work well together and with myself, but then again they could also be a nightmare to deal with on a long-term business venture. I would need to trust one voice speaks all and that authority insure the collective commitments are carried out on a timely manner, this is so I can devote my time and energy insuring the well-being of the stock.  That part scares me and is why I am so reserved to engage in such a venture.  

They would need to be a factual entrepreneurs and not merely a gaggle of broke-dick opportunists. Ones with the business sense and financial backing who could finance the day-to-day commitments of such an aquaculture facility. This is because seedstock takes 8-12 months to reach market weight, and foods must be provided daily without excuse. What is not needed are piety excuses of why they do not have the needed or baseless (the-check-is-in-the-mail) runarounds. I simply need such unnecessary and unexpected financial burdens forced on my own household. I simply have to time being burdened by wankers, 'get-rich-quick' dreamers or scammers. I am a businessman and I do not have need for such foolishness. I can simply be patient and raise a couple of broods and then invest these profits into the same floating platform I envisioned, fully stock all the nets myself and avoid potential hassles. I simply have better things to do than chase down commitments made by those who were dishonest or unprepared to fulfill their obligations.

But it was still a great investment idea if one were to find the right 10-12 expats wanting such investment opportunities. A covered floating platform is less costly than investment in a lobster huts,  multiple growers would be in effect be a 'private coop',  helping to purchase foods in bulk (reducing costs). A platform of 12 'grow-out' nets only required three workers and one night security vs those needed for 12 individual lobster huts and the additional labor costs associated. Not many startup ventures require so little investment and can turnkey in only 8-12 months while yielding 84% to 120% (net) profits. One though still requires locating an adequate suitable location and competent trusted personal to make correct and timely decisions. Get all that in place, and there is a real potentially, that literally millions of pesos will be made on that floating platform. 

Edited by jamesmusslewhite

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, jamesmusslewhite said:

One though still requires locating an adequate suitable location and competent trusted personal to make correct and timely decisions. Get all that in place, and there is a real potentially, that literally millions of pesos will be made on that floating platform. 

Good luck finding competent and TRUSTED people here in the Phills. :mellow:

• Like 1

jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted
52 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

Good luck finding competent and TRUSTED people here in the Phills. :mellow:

Yes I know, which is why I am both fortunate and blessed to have such people around me. Unfortunately competent and trusted expats are not exactly a dime-a-dozen here in the Philippines either. Dogs generally do not bite a hand which feeds, which is the fundamental difference between dogs and men.

I am both fortunate and blesses to have found the good people I have around me. It certainly helps having their years of accumulative practical 'hands-on experience' in the trade to combine with  my own. but foremost I have a powerful honest, trustworthy, reverent, and dedicated wife standing by my side helping to keep me honest. :thumbsup:.

• Like 1