One aussie who wont be back

Jake
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, Hey Steve said:

The absence of the follow up story in the Philippines media where Filipinos go for their news-leaves them with a vision of an Australian drug dealer caught in the act of selling. Period. 

Maybe the court's decision is on the back page of some local article, but his innocence seems to be immaterial to local readers and the media.

Bullseye Steve!  I will submit that retractions or corrections among the local news media is few and far between.  The so called investigative reporting in based on tsimis (police intelligence?).  And they publish or print the story anyway without confirmation.  

Saving Face is more important than retraction.......

• Like 5

chris49
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, davewe said:

Well, I'm an American not an Australia, so perhaps this is off topic. But I am stunned by the number of Americans who now "know" all about the Philippines, it's "loose cannon" of a President, etc. I wrote about it (shameless promotion) in my blog. Suddenly they are all experts and because I am the only person they know who has ever been to the Philippines, I am the one they come and complain to or say "are you really going to live there with that crazy President?" "Yes," I respond. "I will be moving into the Presidential Palace shortly." 

It's more about the power of the Western media than about Rodrigo Duterte.

By the way, here's a news flash: Police in the Philippines have been killing drug dealers and drug dealers have been killing cops long before Duterte became President.

All this being said if an American or an Aussie doesn't want to come to the Philippines or chooses to leave - that's there business. But any nonsense about how we're all gonna be gunned down because Duterte hates Americans is silly. Duterte has a genuine issue with American and European politics - which I get. I like Obama but I know lots of Americans who are far more anti-Obama than Duterte. 

Brilliant Dave.

Summarized all of what I have been trying to say throughout the thread.

• Like 2

Domino22
Posted
Posted

I'm still coming! 

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Domino22 said:

I'm still coming! 

Yes and from at least here in Cebu life just goes on. Most bars still have plenty of expats and tourist and it's just another day. 

• Like 3

Domino22
Posted
Posted

I just have a hard time seeing myself getting caught up in this? I am a gringo who is retired and old. I rent a apartment etc do not work or take a local job from anyone. I spend my money locally and am no threat to anyone. I understand you have to be careful not hitting on a girl with a boyfriend even if you had no idea she had one. So till I get it all figured out I will lay as low as I can be nice to everyone.

• Like 3

Nephi
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Hard to say but let's quote from the story.

Now let's look at the constitution, 

The day a presidential inauguration occurs is June 30 as mandated by the 1987 Philippine Constitution. ... The most recent public presidential inauguration ceremony, the swearing in of President Rodrigo Duterte to begin his six-year term in office, took place on Thursday, June 30, 2016.

So the story say Mr Berg was locked up after the president was elected but in fact being elected and being sworn in are two different things and at that time the old president was still at the helm.

If we go back through all the horror stories this is not the first wether drug busts or accused of trafficking or beating the wife so the husband is put out of the house so the wife takes all are not new.

Now that I am living here I see no bodies on the street, no shoot outs and see no difference in attitude amongst Filipinos towards me or and other foreigner. 

Is it safe, about the same as always unless one is into drugs or happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. 

Exactly right JGF.. There are good and bad happenings everywhere; Australia, United States, Everywhere. Only now are there so many news stories and yes, some elevation in killings. I've lived here now going on 14 years. Happily married with children the entire time. Not once have I ever felt at risk nor have I ever seen dead bodies on the street with the exception of a known drug dealer.

I have served as a Barangay Tanod on the Brgy Police for over 7 year. Six of those seven years my wife and I also serve (volunteer) in PDEA (Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency). Sure, they have goofy way of settling problems including family dispues. But the law has been followed to the letter in relation to narcotics raids or anything else the PNP had become involved in.

Do I feel a sense of panic or fear or impending arrest for some unknown crime? No! With this new president and government we do however have a deep sense of concern and do keep up to date on happenings and changes. No matter what happens I/we are here to stay and anyone that wants me out will have to drag me out kicking and screaming. This is home for my family and I and I will die here---no matter the cause.

Very Best Regards

Nephi

Edited by Nephi
  • Like 2

Nephi
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, Domino22 said:

I just have a hard time seeing myself getting caught up in this? I am a gringo who is retired and old. I rent a apartment etc do not work or take a local job from anyone. I spend my money locally and am no threat to anyone. I understand you have to be careful not hitting on a girl with a boyfriend even if you had no idea she had one. So till I get it all figured out I will lay as low as I can be nice to everyone.

That's the best way. Safest thing is to steer clear of the bars and hotels of Angeles City. There, the police and even immigration use setups to make a fortune off of foreigners. Eventually, find a good gal and get married. I've been here and married for years and although frustrated on a daily basis, I would live nowhere else and feel I made an excellent choice in a wife. (not sure she made such a good choice in me though-Hahaha)

• Like 4

robert k
Posted
Posted

There really needs to be an investigation of this travesty of justice instigated by the Aquino administration.:thumbsup:

• Like 2