More Ships In Subic

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

We had a break in the rain this morning so I got some pictures of the U.S. Navy ships in port during the joint exercises.  There are 5 ships that I know of and that is the most I have ever seen, I believe.  And later I saw two U.S. (I think) 8 wheeled amphibious armored vehicles out on the road, probably moving from one ship to another.

USNS Washington Chambers, a supply ship.  This dock is not normally used by the U.S. Navy (recently) and is a few hundred feet from the popular expat hangout, Vasco's, for those who know it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USNS_Washington_Chambers_(T-AKE-11)

IMGP0969-001.JPG

USS Germantown (LSD 42) - This must be a far out ship to work on! Note the landing craft that comes out of the back.  The Philippine flag in the back is on land.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Germantown_(LSD-42)

IMGP0972-001.JPG

IMGP0985-001.JPG

USS America, bristling with Ospreys and helicopters.  Apparently this can carry jump jets too, but I did not see any.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_America_(LHA-6)

IMGP0973-001.JPG

IMGP0974-002.JPG

USNS Fall River (again), this shot is from the other side of the bay.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USNS_Fall_River_(T-EPF-4)

IMGP0976-001.JPG

USS Green Bay.  In the second shot, the smaller ship near the stern of the Green Bay is one of the few Philippine Navy ships, a converted U.S. Coast Guard cutter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Green_Bay_(LPD-20)

IMGP0993-001.JPG

IMGP0992-001.JPG

A landing craft shuttling equipment around.

IMGP0986-001.JPG

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

ODD! I thought the Loud mouth told the US they had to GO he did not need them ( he who hesitates springs to mind) :huh: More wind?

• Like 1

bows00
Posted
Posted

So how about boots on the ground?  Do you see a lot of young restless sailors around town?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

ODD! I thought the Loud mouth told the US they had to GO he did not need them ( he who hesitates springs to mind) :huh: More wind?

No, he said this would be the last joint exercise on his watch.

• Like 1

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Good thing you were smart enough to leave your burka at the apartment when taking these pics.... Here in Ft. Lauderdale a few weeks ago there was a navy sub close to the coast and a friend of mine was out in his 32' speed boat, alone and fishing. He had no idea there was a sub around but the Coast Guard approached him and told him he had to leave the area. This is a bit hard to do because the Ft. Lauderdale coast is a busy place and 3 miles is a long distance in a crowded area.  

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, bows00 said:

So how about boots on the ground?  Do you see a lot of young restless sailors around town?

We have sailors in town on a regular basis, even without the exercises.  Usually supply ships and sub tenders (that is what I call them) stop here and stay for a few days.  I would say that on average there is a ship docked here over 50% of the time. 

They are on a tight leash since the Pemberton incident.  I'm not sure if they are allow to go to bars, but we see them walking all over and in the mall.  Another factor is that quite often you will see female sailor as part of a group, and that changes the dynamics.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Bruce said:

Good thing you were smart enough to leave your burka at the apartment when taking these pics.... Here in Ft. Lauderdale a few weeks ago there was a navy sub close to the coast and a friend of mine was out in his 32' speed boat, alone and fishing. He had no idea there was a sub around but the Coast Guard approached him and told him he had to leave the area. This is a bit hard to do because the Ft. Lauderdale coast is a busy place and 3 miles is a long distance in a crowded area.  

I'm sure they have good security ongoing around the ships.  We had a sub dock here a month or two ago.  My friend here (a Filipino who has lived in the U.S. but is not a U.S. citizen) got a tour of one of the ships a few days ago.  Jake keeps telling me I should ask for a tour but so far I have not.

• Like 2

Bruce
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I'm sure they have good security ongoing around the ships.  We had a sub dock here a month or two ago.  My friend here (a Filipino who has lived in the U.S. but is not a U.S. citizen) got a tour of one of the ships a few days ago.  Jake keeps telling me I should ask for a tour but so far I have not.

A word of caution: think long and hard about following any advice from Jake... especially if it involves women and hot sauce of any kind! You can take the man out of the navy, but you can't get the navy out of the man! :7500:   

• Like 4

Jake
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

Any gathering place within Freeport is your best opportunity to hook up with the more senior swabs.  Look for the anchor with the 2 stars (master chiefs) -- they will bark orders along your guided VIP tour. Additionally, you must try the good ole navy chow served in the chiefs mess.  Also go down to the ship's store for engraved cigg lighters, coffee mugs and T-shirts.  

And in return, you can invite them to some home cooked meals.  May I suggest freshly caught fish heads and rice for starters.  Don't forget the fish sauce and plenty of San Magoo.  

Go for it Don!  And oh by the way, my advice is to lock up your daughters when the fleet is in.....he, he.

• Like 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

If the US navy is anything like the British Navy it's your sons safety I'd be worried about. :nudie:

• Like 2