Duterte aligns Philippines with China, says U.S. has lost

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Don't get me wrong guys.  I did not start this topic to preach gloom and doom and predict the Philippines is about to get unfriendly to Western expats.

I'm just saying I have a great "tiny house" for sale for 1 and a half million pesos and it comes with all furnishings, appliances, air conditioners and a motorcycle.  In fact I'll even through in a bunch of western sized clothes that don't fit in my suitcase.  Its a great deal for someone.  :56fdd33da67bc_santadance:

• Like 5

davewe
Posted
Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

People brush this off like nothing's gonna change but are you certain?  I believe its the uncertainty that will warn cautious people away.

I have a buddy married to a Pinay, living in the US, who is in the middle of building their Fils dream home with the intent of retiring to the Philippines next year. He's a bit panicked, not about the remarks toward Obama, but about the connection to China.

I told him "if you're worried that the Philippines is getting too close to China, try working for my company or any other American high tech firm. We couldn't survive for a month without kissing China's butt." 

All this being said if he or anyone else decides not to relocate to the Philippines that's their choice; we all have to do what's best for ourselves and our families.

Edited by davewe
  • Like 3

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, HikiSpray said:

I just wanted to point out that tipping is an mostly american thing, I only tip if the service is out of the ordinary, meaning, most of the time in the Philippines I do tip. Not huge amounts but still. I find that service is better in the PH than my home country. It's not bad in my country but it's just better. (Smiling, welcoming and eager to please)

I agree that tipping's an American thing, but in places frequented by Americans it can double a workers take home pay.

• Like 1

bows00
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, davewe said:

All this being said if he or anyone else decides not to relocate to the Philippines that's their choice; we all have to do what's best for ourselves and our families.

Sad, but true.  I was planning to retire next year with a SRRV, but there are a lot to reconsider now.  Due to the uncertainty of the government, I have to reconsider depositing $10K into a Philippine bank account.  I am leaning towards waiting a year or two and see how things settle. 

• Like 4

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

patience:thumbsup:

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Don't get me wrong guys.  I did not start this topic to preach gloom and doom and predict the Philippines is about to get unfriendly to Western expats.

I'm just saying I have a great "tiny house" for sale for 1 and a half million pesos and it comes with all furnishings, appliances, air conditioners and a motorcycle.  In fact I'll even through in a bunch of western sized clothes that don't fit in my suitcase.  Its a great deal for someone.  :56fdd33da67bc_santadance:

When it gets to be "or best offer" you can count on me for 5 GBP or it's equivalent in Canadian dollars.:thumbsup:

• Like 3

mogo51
Posted
Posted

I am not sure that Foreign Policy is Duterte's stronghold, but I do understand that he wants an independent foreign policy as he has announced.  I see nothing wrong with that.

Whether China/Russia is the best place to park the car is another thing.  But as Brett says, so long as it does not affect me when I finally settle in Phils, it is none of my business.

• Like 3

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I have some friends here that dream of the communist paradise on Earth that is Cuba. Castro and Che Guevara are saints in their eyes.  They hope that Duterte can break completely from the US and make the PIs a communist paradise too... I say be careful what you wish for ha ha  :tiphat:

• Like 5

davewe
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

I have some friends here that dream of the communist paradise on Earth that is Cuba. Castro and Che Guevara are saints in their eyes.  They hope that Duterte can break completely from the US and make the PIs a communist paradise too... I say be careful what you wish for ha ha  :tiphat:

I just had a convo with my wife to explain about what Communism is and how China is one of the last Communist nations. But then I had to sort of correct myself, since in reality China's economy is one of the most capitalist around. 

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
47 minutes ago, davewe said:

since in reality China's economy is one of the most capitalist around. 

Double standards comes to mind :89: Just like most Countries, Do as I say not as I do :shades:

Jack:huh:

Morning All:morning1: ( happy Buglasan to those in Dumaguete.)[ We got a Holiday to Celebrate]

• Like 4

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic